Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD Ford Launch Master (two step)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Default MSD Ford Launch Master (two step)

I was looking through a Summit the other day and saw this in there. It's a two step rev limiter that is adjustable. It looks like it's very easy to install, almost plug and play. You will need a switch, a drill if you can't find an existing hole to ground to and that's it.

http://www.msdignition.com/new_products/8734.html

I read the instructions and it looks like it would take less than two beers to install this.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: MSD Ford Launch Master (two step)

A tuner will let you change your rev limiter, speed limiter, etc.. Sounds like you need to consider a CAI & tune. Darn good reason if you ask me... LOL!
Old 05-19-2008, 12:46 PM
2L8IWIN
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nuke

A tuner will let you change your rev limiter, speed limiter, etc.. Sounds like you need to consider a CAI & tune. Darn good reason if you ask me... LOL!
I agree!! Over $200 and you have to drill?? No way! Tuner all the way!
Old 05-19-2008, 01:10 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

I don't think you guys understand what a 2step does, it holds the engine at a certain RPM that you set, say 4000, and it holds it there steady so you launch at the right RPM every single time, like it says in the description, just drop the clutch and go... if you need some visuals go to youtube and type in 2step, plenty of videos on it... I'm actually surprised there is one for our cars, but I've heard they're pretty dangerous for the engine..
Old 05-19-2008, 01:36 PM
GOTTORQ
1st Gear Member

^^ thats exactly what it does..it most cases "two step" or launch control is used in a turbo car..more or less the evos and subys to build boost at a dead stop so ur launching under boost rather than trying to build boost off the line
Old 05-19-2008, 01:56 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GOTTORQ

^^ thats exactly what it does..it most cases "two step" or launch control is used in a turbo car..more or less the evos and subys to build boost at a dead stop so ur launching under boost rather than trying to build boost off the line
Yea, I forgot to add that that is why I'm surprised. Usually a 2step is to spool the turbo, which in your case Simon is great, for most of us it's not really necessary, but still nice I guess...
Old 05-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GOTTORQ

That would be me, a turbo car.

Boost won't be built until there is a load on the turbo, but it gives a car, any car, launch at the RPM choosen by the driver. This gives the driver the ability to concentrate more on the lights and the clutch slip.

Some hand held tuners are capable of two step programing, some/most aren't. The nice thing about this application is the adjustability factor. The simple turning of a ***/dial to a lower/higher rpm.

Most Auto trannies don't need a 2 step, but some do. Depends on the application.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Green08BulliTT

youcan build boost in a car with out load. you have to mess with the timing but it can be done. alot of 2steps alow a timing adjust while your in the locked rpm. its not great for turbo life since it makes alot more heat and added stress.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:08 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

Actually, many racers use a 2 step. As stated above, it lets you focus on the lights and clutch, and not RPMs. The stock rev limiter pulls fuel. Very bad. It also is not consistant, and you can't have a different setting for neutral and gears (it has the option, but doesn't work). The MSD 2 Step allows you to dial in exactly where you want your RPMs at with the clutch down. It keeps it there by pulling spark, and the RPMs are VERY consistant. I will be ordering mine in the next few weeks.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:50 PM
NyFordTech
3rd Gear Member

heres a nice vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMvWY...eature=related

Quick Reply: MSD Ford Launch Master (two step)