Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to install trunk release button

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 12:33 AM
Stroken97
1st Gear Member

Default How to install trunk release button

These instructions are from another member, but the link no longe works. Since many want this as an update for the Mustang here it is again. this is a very easy mod that a blind man could probably do it. Don't let the instructions scare you off. Find the pink and white wire and make the connection using a quick connect.

Trunk Release Button:
Use a momentary push button switch (McMaster Carr P/N 6915K22 or Radio Shack Cat # 275-646), and solder two leads to it.

Next, Squeeze the sides of the glove box and it flips down. This will give you access to mount the switch. Drill a hole in the glove compartment box. Note there is a metal bar behind the right side of the glove compartment box. There is one spot that has a hole in it. Drill the hole in the plastic to match up with this hole.. My button was 1/2" so I used a uni-bit that went up to 1/2"
Remove the retainer nut from the switch and insert the switch and the leads into the hole. Thread the leads through the nut and onto the switch and tighten the nut up. Next, attach one of the leads to ground. I loosened one of the grond bolts all ready in the glove box and attached the lead to it and retightened.

Next pull off the kick panel on the passenger side, just lift up on the cover and pull off the cover. Find the large wire harness and unwrap enough of the tape to reveal the wires. Find the skinny White wire with a pink stripe. This is the one we will be using. Carefully strip a small piece of insulation off this wire without cutting it. (here is where I deviate. use a quick connect clamp from Home Depot or lowes)Strip a piece of insulation off the remaining lead from the switch and tightly wrap it around the exposed copper on the White/pink wire. Test your switch, You can solder this connection if you'd like or just tape it up really good.

When finished, rewrap the wire bundle with electrical tape and place it back as it was. Replace the cover and the glove compartment box. Note that if the switch you chose is too big, the trunk might open sometimes if you slam the glove compartment box or if your knee hits the corner of the glove compartment door. If this is a problem, replace the rubber bumper on the glove compartment door with one that is a little larger and made of a harder rubber. Ace Hardware or Home Depot should have these.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default RE: How to install trunk release button

Trunk Release Instructions... with photos...

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/TrunkRelease.htm

Old 07-18-2006, 03:15 PM
kcary
2nd Gear Member

Anyone though about doing a cleaner one that woul dbe more accesible, say like one near the hood release or on the door. Much like the ones normally found on most luxury, or even normal Fords nowadays? Been thinking about trying that myself.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:07 PM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

I have.... much easier to reach and still "out of the way"

[IMG]local://upfiles/22630/089DF3D816EE4E678B49177F0DE969A2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-19-2006, 12:25 AM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

For those of us with a convertible, you want to make sure that the trunk release button is not too easily accessible. Putting it behind the locked glove compartment box was the most sensible place that I could think of putting it.

The other problem you have to be aware of is that if you don't stiffen the bumper on the Glove compartment door, then anyone can open the trunk by pushing the glove compartment door. It will hit the button and open the door.

I've thought about visitng some junk yard looking for a factory trunk release button that might be recessed. This will make it much more original looking and secure.

I love my Glove compartment button and I use it often. A lot of times I will be in the garage and not hae the keys with me and having access to that button saves me a trip in the house for the keys.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:28 AM
lynwood78
3rd Gear Member

The things we have to do because Ford was too lazy to do it.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:42 AM
andyman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TinPony

I have.... much easier to reach and still "out of the way"

[IMG]local://upfiles/22630/089DF3D816EE4E678B49177F0DE969A2.jpg[/IMG]
what is that other button for?
Old 07-19-2006, 06:00 AM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

It's part of my alarm system....
Old 07-19-2006, 10:41 AM
vicmeldrew
1st Gear Member

i still dont get the point of this; it is just as easy to push the button on the fob as go to all this trouble; and if you want another button - just velcro another fob somewhere in your car.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:48 AM
kcary
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vicmeldrew

i still dont get the point of this; it is just as easy to push the button on the fob as go to all this trouble; and if you want another button - just velcro another fob somewhere in your car.
For your answer:

ORIGINAL: odiaz

I love my Glove compartment button and I use it often. A lot of times I will be in the garage and not hae the keys with me and having access to that button saves me a trip in the house for the keys.
Exactly why i would want it too. I have thought about trying to find a factory button as well. I think the door I still have left over from my old mercury still has the button attached to it (bike ran into it when parked, i saved the door, long story). I mgiht go rummage through the parents storage shed and check.