Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Mustang reliability - how does it compare?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 07:28 PM
shockme76
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Ford Mustang reliability - how does it compare?

This is an enthusiasts site and people are more enclined to admit problems with their car. A lot of people want to know if it's a new problem or a known problem that easily fixable. We want more information before we waste our time going to the dealer and this site is great for information and communication among other stang owners. Therefore your results from a poll will most likely be inflated. A more accurate result would be number of cars sold versus number of cars serviced. Even then it would be off given that some people just deal with minor problems (rattles, etc.)

My only complaint is the rattles and if the factory would give me an option to have the car insulated then i would pay the extra to do it.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:41 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

yeah i had to tell my dealer how to fix the rattling door mirrors, and they were actually really thankful that i came in and passed on the info. im sure they will now spend the 3 minutes it takes to fix them before the sell the used ones they have on the lot (2 outta the 3 cars they had there rattled just like mine)

and build quality???? the powertrains have improved a great deal but the interiors keep getting cheaper and cheaper, THIS is where they need to invest a couple hundred more into these cars even if it adds a couple pounds to the car.

do all the 07's have the vinyl wrapped dashes and door inserts? i saw one at the dealer and WISHED my 06 had that instead of hard plastic.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:45 AM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xbone
You can buy a friggin Acura if you want near perfection, and get smoked by a stock new stang.
Acura is just a glorified honda. I had one a few years back. It had more rattles than my new GT, the hood didn't align right, it had its shares of visits for repairs, rotors were warped, etc. But worst of all it was bland and boring.

My GT has the upgraded interior and I can't complain about the interior quality given the price tag and the fact that it's a muscle car.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mkaresh
1.Reduced non-response bias:how many people viewed the poll, but did not vote? The lower the participation rate, the more you've got to wonder if biases lead people to respond; also, assuming Mustang owners want you to buy a Mustang, they're going to minimize the extent and severity of their problems when answering, since that's what's at stake here; the way I deal with this issue is that people only report problems that happen after they sign up, such that they don't know what they'll be reporting at the time they decide to participate--also:

4. You combine problem severity and problem frequency in the same question. This could have messed things up, but since few people responded to answers 4 and 5 it didn't--you got lucky here. I don't understand #5: how does the dealer doing a good job mean there are no more problems? How does this fit with the other responses? In any survey question, the alternative responses should be mutually exclusive, it should not be possible for more than one to be correct.

If you have any future polls you'd like to post, and need a second set of eyes on the question, I'd be happy to take a look at it.
I assume Mustang enthusiasts are for the most part honest...so ruling out the 'mustang ego' these polls should be completely accurate. As far as severity vs. frequency goes, this forum is limited in terms of poll options. And as for why MF has more votes than MSF, there's simply more members here.

Mkaresh, it's pointless at the current time (but maybe not in the future when the bar is raised on all manufacturers) to try and convince Mustang owners that thier cars could have honda-like quality because the moment anyone mentions the word "import" or "japanese" they stop listening. The point most members tried to make was, a perfect mustang wouldnt be possible unless it costs more. THe funny thing is 30% of owners already do have them.

30% of the owners are lucky enough to have solidly built cars while the others get severely turned off by the Mustang experience. To make matters worse it seems like the Ford service is especially hard to deal with (from what ive observed here).
Old 01-28-2007, 02:09 PM
tncruiser
3rd Gear Member

why do we respond to post like this a total of 9 posts he doesnt own a mustang and never will. he is dong researh???? probably ralph naders grand son (if not boilogicaly at least philosophicaly)
Old 01-28-2007, 03:13 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

In late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research. I'm reporting absolute stats like "times in the shop" that will make the differences between cars much clearer. Relative ratings obscure too much--how large is the difference between "better than average" and "worse than average"? I’ll also be updating results four times a year, so there will be information on new models sooner.

I haven't started collecting data on the Mustang yet, because not enough are enrolled. In fact, I didn't expect to start any time soon, since sports car owners tend to be less interested in reliability info than the typical car buyer.

But I've actually had quite a few Mustang owners sign up, such that for the 2005, 2006, and 2007 model years I'm not far off the minimum needed to start collecting data.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

Details: Vehicle reliability research

Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome.
I can tell you that every Ford I've ever owned hasbeenbetter than my Acura's and Honda's who use cheap plastic in cars costing several thousand dollars more than the Ford's I've owned. My 2004 Acura TL cost $35,000 and had the worst interior quality of almost ANY car I have ever owned. Who use velcro tabs to hold up the roof liner???? Who lays tweeters into mounting holes with no rubber gromets to prevent rattles with no screws or bolts to hold it in place??

I'll stick with Ford... so far, I've owned 8 Mustang's since 1985, none of which needed anything the first 6 months. I can't say the same for my Acura or Honda's I've owned or leased.

1985 5.0 LX bought new,a year and a halfafter purchased abrake clip broke, after the warranty expired and Ford still flat bedded the car and fixed it free of charge. While there they noticed pitting on my aluminum wheels and replaced all 4 of them. I couldn't get Acura to replace the Turanza's that flat spotted in anything under 30f without threatening a law suit, they replaced the with the EXACT same crap Turanza's which flat spotted.

So, my Ford had a 12 month warranty, they took care of me even after it expired andAcura which wasn't better at taking care of my $35,000 car could care less what happened to the car. Now that it's gone they want to know why I got rid of it... hmmmm I wonder.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:07 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

I take it back Acura sucks meaty *******. If you want perfection get a Lexus and get smoked by a stang.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:10 PM
jt14894
2nd Gear Member

I remember reading a Consumer Reports report, this was before the 2005s came out,and they showed thereliablily history of the Ford Mustang (<---- 2004). It had a high rating and was considered one of the most reliable cars in its class.
I don't remember which specific issue it was, but if some has an online subscription, I'm sure they can look it up in their archives, if they have one.

I got my GT on July 9th 2005 and its 1Year, 6 months, and 19 days old.
At 13,456 miles,its been running great and problem free. It had to take it in for one minor issue (right side door speaker was not working becausethe wire connector was unplugged), but thats all, so it didn't surprise me to know that its a prettyreliable vehicle.
This is justmy opinion based on my experience up to this point.
We'll see how this year goes.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:16 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Correct, CR did report that the 2004 Ford Mustang was, statistically, the most reliable U.S. branded car for that year.
Now, I don't know if that's good for the Mustang or bad for the rest of the US cars.[sm=smiley24.gif]
Old 01-28-2007, 08:52 PM
mkaresh

ORIGINAL: Juntech

1.Reduced non-response bias:how many people viewed the poll, but did not vote? The lower the participation rate, the more you've got to wonder if biases lead people to respond; also, assuming Mustang owners want you to buy a Mustang, they're going to minimize the extent and severity of their problems when answering, since that's what's at stake here; the way I deal with this issue is that people only report problems that happen after they sign up, such that they don't know what they'll be reporting at the time they decide to participate--also:

4. You combine problem severity and problem frequency in the same question. This could have messed things up, but since few people responded to answers 4 and 5 it didn't--you got lucky here. I don't understand #5: how does the dealer doing a good job mean there are no more problems? How does this fit with the other responses? In any survey question, the alternative responses should be mutually exclusive, it should not be possible for more than one to be correct.

If you have any future polls you'd like to post, and need a second set of eyes on the question, I'd be happy to take a look at it.
I assume Mustang enthusiasts are for the most part honest...so ruling out the 'mustang ego' these polls should be completely accurate. As far as severity vs. frequency goes, this forum is limited in terms of poll options. And as for why MF has more votes than MSF, there's simply more members here.

Mkaresh, it's pointless at the current time (but maybe not in the future when the bar is raised on all manufacturers) to try and convince Mustang owners that thier cars could have honda-like quality because the moment anyone mentions the word "import" or "japanese" they stop listening. The point most members tried to make was, a perfect mustang wouldnt be possible unless it costs more. THe funny thing is 30% of owners already do have them.

30% of the owners are lucky enough to have solidly built cars while the others get severely turned off by the Mustang experience. To make matters worse it seems like the Ford service is especially hard to deal with (from what ive observed here).
I'm not trying to convince anyone of how different cars compare. I'm just trying to get much better data out there, so people can come to their own conclusions.

The way I read the results to the poll on this forum, about 85% already have cars with no or minor problems. Sounds strong, but there's no other car to compare these results to.

Down the road, when I have large samples for most models, I intend to report results this way (hypothetical data currently):

http://www.truedelta.com/report.php

This will make the actual size of the differences--often just tenths of a repair trip per year--perfectly clear.

Since I only have small samples on a few dozen models/model years now, I'm reporting results this way:

http://www.truedelta.com/results0906.php

I hope to get started on the 2005-2007 Mustangs next month, just need a few more signed up for each year. Why help out? No real reason unless you'd like this sort of info yourself. The people I'm doing all of this for are the same people who participate. I'm not like J.D. Power, sending people surveys so I can sell the data for millions to the manufacturers. People who provide data to J.D. Power get little if any useful info in return. They do get a dollar bill, though.

Quick Reply: Ford Mustang reliability - how does it compare?