Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticking Brake Caliper

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Darth Evader
1st Gear Member

Default Sticking Brake Caliper

Hi. I took my 06 GT (8,900 miles) for a scheduled service yesterday.I mentioned that I thought the brakes weren't releasing at the same time when taking my foot off the brake pedal. They found that the driver's side caliper is sticking and they are going to replace it under warranty naturally. The part that I found odd was that this morning I noticed that some type of fluid had apparently leaked all over the driver's side wheel and eaten the paint and clearcoat away around every spoke.When I showed them this the technician said that the stuck caliper is also leaking and the brake fluid ate the paint. So, the good news is next week they are going to replace the wheel and the brake caliper.

My question is, is this a common problem with the Mustangs? I mean, is there something I should be watching out for on the other wheels while it is still under warranty? I did a search on this subject and didn't come up with any hits, but I thought I would throw the question out there anyway.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:03 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Sticking Brake Caliper

No, it's not common at all. Sometimes S**T happens is all.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:53 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Hmmm...don't think I've read about this before..
Old 09-22-2007, 01:34 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

On my '99 the rear passenger caliper got stuck. I found out when my buddy called me on the interstate to ask me why my caliper was glowing red?
Old 09-22-2007, 02:02 AM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

Haven't heard about it. You're the first one from all the people I know that this happened to
Old 10-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Darth Evader
1st Gear Member

Update: They changed the caliper and wheel last week and the leak appears to be fixed. However, there is still something going on with the brakes when I leave from a stop. Example:

I brake into a stop light and come to a complete stop and wait for the green light. When thelight turns green I release the brake pedal and I can hear the drivers side front pads "pop" and you can feel it as well when they release. In fact, if I take my hands off the steering wheel you can see it kick a little when this happens.

Now, the thing is, say I put the car in Park or Neutral andpress the brake pedal and hold it for a while. When I let off of the pedal all of thebrakes release cleanly like one would expect. It's only when the brakes are under torque and you release the pedal you can feel and hear the stickiness.

So since the caliper has already been changed, do you think it's just a matter of having sticky pads on that onerotor?
Old 10-03-2007, 11:18 AM
torch red
4th Gear Member

Havent heard about this issue..

I would just bring it back again..its a PIA but they will fix it.. at least its free....
Old 10-03-2007, 12:04 PM
s2k
5th Gear Member

hmm a new problem in the works?
Old 10-04-2007, 08:00 AM
Darth Evader
1st Gear Member

Follow Up:

Took the car to the dealership today and showed the tech the problem. He too said he had never seen or heard anything like that before. So, he put it on the lift and took off the brakes and supposedly found the problem. He says that when the original brake caliper was leaking fluid, the fluid leaked on the the pads and, for lack of a better term, ruined them. So, they are going to put new pads on this Saturday. With 9k miles on the car, should I insist that they also turn the rotor at the same time they change the pads for this wheel?

I may be new to this particular forum, but I've been a long time member of other car forums and I make it a point to follow up on any threads that I start. That way if someone else has a similar problem later on, they may save themselves some trouble by reading this thread.It's always annoying when someone posts a problem, then a bunch of people reply with suggestions, and then you never hear back from the original poster. In other words, I'm not trying to be a pest
Old 10-04-2007, 08:06 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

As long as the rotor isn't warped, no sense in turning it.