Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Astra-Hammond Aluminum Louvers - Input Requested

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default Astra-Hammond Aluminum Louvers - Input Requested

For those of you that have installed the Astra-Hammond aluminum rear window louver, how well did your install go? I received my louveryesterday and read through the instructions and I'm a bit fuzzy on the installation of the mounting plates. The instructions have you place them on the window and adjust, then mark their placement. My concern is, that when you finally remove the tape backing and place the mounting plate to the window, how difficult was it to get them into the correct position without sticking to the windowincorrectly? And once the plates were installed, how was your fit? I get the feeling it would be easy to be off enough on any of the plates for the fit to be problem.

I didn't post this in the "Appearance" section because I hope to get feedback from both V6 and GT owners.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:32 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Astra-Hammond Aluminum Louvers - Input Requested

I like the looks of them and plan on getting a set for myself. I have installed a set on a 69 Fastback, and I know you don't want to pull the tape until you are good to go on the placement.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:28 PM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

They are not to bad to get adjusted correctly. I marked them by putting tape on the glass to outline the bracket locations. The bottom ones were the only ones they were a little tricky to get on once the tape on the brackets were exposed. Just try to keep them pulled up when you slide them over the lip on the glass. You can move them a little once they are on as long as you have not put any pressure on them. Otherwise your screwed and will have to get new brackets because they will bend if you try to remove them (I went through two sets of brackets.). Just be careful and take your time.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 01-10-2008, 10:51 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

I did the tape around the brackets also to mark placement. Make SURE you get the window clean before taping the brackets and don't install the louvers for 24 hours. Also a good tip is to trim the tape enough so you can run a bead of sealant around it. Water and summer heat will make the tape loosen if you don't.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

not too hard to adjust, just make sure that if they do touch the glass that they do so lightly, then press down when you are sure of they're placement

oh, and make sure that you put silicon all around the brackets, and use more than you think you will need

and for those of you considering rear louvers, get these
Old 01-10-2008, 11:00 PM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

good advice from the previous posters - i'll just reiterate their points: tape off the brackets to mark their correct positions; do this twice to ensure accuracy. use plenty of silicone to guarantee the best possible adhesion.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Hotrod68
1st Gear Member

I helped a buddy do the same thing to his 07 and what we found easiest was to have one person hold the louvers on the window and the other set the brackets where they needed to be then mark the window with a grease pen where the brackets went. We pulled the louver up and set each bracket down within the marks with just an edge of the tape pulled up (enough to hold it but not enough to make it heck to pull off), checked the louver fit right, then pulled the tape off the rest of the brackets. As I'm sure you realize, don't stick until they're in the right place!
Old 01-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I did mine alone, and it wasn't that bad Rick. I marked the placement points with a felt tipped pen........Can't stress this enough though, DO NOT put the bracket on until you are POSITIVE that's where you want it, 'cause where it goes it STAYS!!!!! -It would be easier with a helper though.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:10 PM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

Just installed mine on wednesday, very simple, good luck!