Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do i beat the beamer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:37 PM
flg2010
1st Gear Member

Default RE: how do i beat the beamer?

21k? More like 25kish at least, unless you guys are buyign these GTs with no options?
Old 03-25-2008, 10:18 PM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wahooo

he will beat you in a mini van (?) that could be a little much
What about a twin turbo mini van???
Old 03-25-2008, 11:17 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Speedyejl

PS: Going AutoX with a stock GT beats the crap out of your pride, crappy 10 year old modded CRXs run circles around the GT
Sad but true. It takes quite a bit of "adjusting" to get an S197 to do the pylon dance well. A Mustang won one of the classes in the SCCA National runoffs last year, an exceptional car with an exceptional driver.

What we have to do is accept the fact that when autocrossing your ordinary Mustang with ordinary driving skills you must be more interested in the process (driving fun!) than in the outcome ("winning").

I think the OP is loaded with "desire", but that doesn't translate into autocross speed. Physics determines what's quickest through the course; driving skill can compensate for part of any deficits, but it's rare that desire plus skill bridges severe gaps. Only in the movies.

The most dramatic improvement you can bolt on is the performance tire. They don't work as well as they could unless the suspension facilitates their use. You can acquire skills through teaching and practice, and it seems the sharpening of skills wears off very rapidly when not in frequent use. More seat time on an autocross course is the best overall investment. Drive, drive, drive. Question, question, question.

Our local Autocross Group (SCCA San Diego Region: http://www.sdsolo.com/index.php?page=home) coordinates events put on by autocross clubs. April 5th there is a practice event at Qualcomm Stadium. Last such practice I ran ended after I had run 12 (twelve) timed laps. Plenty of learning there, and a pretty good performance in the four-run championship autocross next day. Sixteen runs in two days. Not a bad learning opportunity. Some people are able to do that or something like it twice or three times a month, Los Angeles one weekend, San Diego on another. They have sharp skills, desire, equipment. They are FAST compared to a duffer like me in my V6 Mustang with some suspension.

But it is fun, doing it, measuring your own performance gains due to experience and mods. Don't let the hopelessness of being a Mustang driver overwhelm the joy of doing the best you can with what you got. It's all good.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:31 PM
User 113021
3rd Gear Member

I demolished a Z4 M Roadster tonight on the highway. He didn't stand a chance.

...not that this has anything to do with Autocross........
Old 03-25-2008, 11:43 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Learn how to drive better. The overall champion of my local autocross drove a 2005 MGT. He beat 350z's, S2000s, STIs, etc. Why, because driver skill the most important factor.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:58 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Agreed. My trips to autoX was a lesson in being modest. People loved my car, but I was stomped on at the course, time after time, month after month. Sure, I've always been glad that I consistently beat the mini coopers, eclipses, modded newer civics, and regular porsche boxsters. I knew going to every autoX that I could beat these same cars and drivers. But I never came close to any Miatas, VW Golfs, BMW 3 series (not even an M3), no WRXs, EVOs, Corvettes (neither C6 or Z06), higher end Porsches, or many many older cars like Fieros.

AutoX's bring power car owners down to earth....

Now, ona road course I think the mustang would tear many cars to pieces since speed and power matters and turns are longer and more sweeping. Only corvettes, wrxs etc would beat the mustang. But on tight turns like autoX..... make sure you go just for the fun and the experience. You'll get stomped on. But everyone, and I mean everyone, is very nice and cool at these events.

And for SCCA autoX that I attend.... PAX scoring doesn't go against faster cars, it goes against modded cars. So your modded car against his stock M3 could actually raise your total time even more, and hurt you even more.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:48 AM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

I'd say you need wider tires (not sure what u got but 295 for rear and 275 for front sounds perfect), shocks/struts, springs, sway bars, strut bar, lca's, panhard bar and you're pretty much set. 2500 is all it takes
Some people might not believe the m3 can be beaten by a Stang with those mods but i personally kept up with one when I only had wider tires and a strut bar. The Z is the one you should be worried about.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:49 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Actually, modded suspensions will hurt in the autoX. The turns are not realistic track turns which stiffer suspension is designed for. If you stiffen too much then youll plow through corner, and push extremely hard.

There is a guy on the forums who autoX's alot and actually had to un-mod his suspension in order to get his handling back.

Tires are definately a big plus.....
Old 03-26-2008, 02:58 PM
Speedyejl
2nd Gear Member

From the times I've gone I'd say the stiffness of the sidewall is paramount. On stock rubber I found the cars torque really hurt my times as the backend would break traction if I gave the slightest of gas. Its all about being smooth...