Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chirping in 2nd gear...how??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 07:55 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Chirping in 2nd gear...how??

ORIGINAL: 00silverStang

These cars are so detuned from the factory its crazy. Its amazing what a cai and tune can do. I spin and fishtail into second even with 285 nitto nt55's with18x10 rimsout back.
I smell something...something brown[sm=icon_quiet.gif]... Unless it was raining. A CAI tune and otherwise stock S197 GT does not have the gumption to pitch itself into the fence on tires of that width and stick. Unless you pause (grannyshift)and pedal it up for as long as it takes for the car to slow down and then dump it like a chick with a whoreblister. I can't see it happenning any other way. Those are big sticky tires and tune or no tune, 2nd ain't gonna be maddness like that...and if when you say "spin and fishtail" you mean sidestep 6 inches as it "paws" for ground, that's a different scenario. That makes sense.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:06 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03_gt_woowee

you can chirp second in about any car with a manual tranny
Well I don't know about that. I've drivin plenty of cars that wont chirp the tires. Sports cars too. And being as I chirp 3rd in my car it's not just the driver skills.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:10 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VistaGT

Well I don't know about that. I've drivin plenty of cars that wont chirp the tires. Sports cars too. And being as I chirp 3rd in my car it's not just the driver skills.
You get what he means...and he's right. A '85 Tercel can chirp 2nd. But only in a manual. Does it make it faster than the bus driver (auto)mode? No, just louder and more wastefully obnoxious...
Old 03-31-2008, 08:19 AM
banka87
4th Gear Member

If I can do it in my sixxer, I really hope you can do it haha
Old 03-31-2008, 11:00 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Once you know that you can 'chirp' second (or whatever) and how to make that happen, there isn't much point in continuing to do it.

Unless you're at the drag strip, all it does is advertise that you're beating on the car harder than is good for it. Understand thatthe shock load from jerking the tires loose hits every single thing in the powertrain harder and uses up their fatigue life faster.

It will attract the attention of those who would write things like "Exhibition of Speed". And it isn't nearly as impressive a display of power than having the ability to turn the tires loose in 2nd without touching the clutch pedal (or having the automatic grab a harsh downshift just right).

An inline-4/86 hp Pinto could chirp second, with an adultpassenger along for the ride. Not much of a boast to be saying/proving you can do the same with a V8 in anything that doesn't weigh at least5000 lbs.

Norm
Old 03-31-2008, 11:22 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Just pretend it's a rental car...
That is about the best explanation.

You guys talk like chirping is a good thing. Why is that so important? (Are your high school buddies applying peer pressure?).

If you allow the driveline to go slack between shifts and you punch it, you're most likely going to get a chirp, but is it worth it? you're putting sooo much strain on the gearbox/shaft/gears it isn't even funny. Within 6 months you're going to be posting on here asking why you're getting clunks and vibrations from your driveline, and that's if you haven't already broken the clutch or a drive shaft outright.

Poor shifting can promote chirping and I would say that if you get chirps regularly, you need to learn to shift more smoothly.

With a lot of power, a smooth manual gearshift will still produce chirp or peel-out and will be less stress on the mechanics as you're not snatching the driveline.
Autos which chirp aren't so bad on the driveline either.
If you have to 'work at it' to get a chirp then you're asking for trouble.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:28 AM
Kara
4th Gear Member

I could chirp my old 03 frontier manual all day long, and that thing had NO power!
Old 03-31-2008, 03:00 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Baddog

ORIGINAL: VistaGT

You get what he means...and he's right. A '85 Tercel can chirp 2nd. But only in a manual. Does it make it faster than the bus driver (auto)mode? No, just louder and more wastefully obnoxious...
I was talking about stick too. And My '92 tercel 4 speed only chirp second once! lol
Old 03-31-2008, 03:49 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

chirp from 1st to 2nd? How about a little one going from 2nd to 3rd? Bone stock btw: Youtube Link

But I don't make it a habit, it takes the life out of a car if you do that every other day. This was just showing a Dutch colleague how much fun a mustang GT is.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:09 PM
stanngg
2nd Gear Member

This is true. I used to chirp 2nd in my Chevy Chevette...all 4 cyhlinders. Really don't need a ton of power to chirp 2nd. Just take your RPMs high in 1st and keep them high as you shift shift into 2nd. The car will take care of the rest.

Quick Reply: Chirping in 2nd gear...how??