Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by East87
This is the only explanation I can offer as to why Ford STILL chose not to offer a bigger engine in light of what Chevy and Dodge were offering. I hate to be cliche'd, but it all came down to fuel. It seems that Ford determined the engine size to sort of meet the average customer halfway in terms of power, overall cost, and "perceived" fuel use. By that I mean, it's intuitive to suggest that the Camaro SS and the Challenger SRT8 are going to be a lot worse on fuel than the GT because of the sheer increase in power.

I think it shows a conservative measure was taken by Ford to make sure that they weren't the ones who released a massively powerful muscle car only to have gas completely preclude the country from ever finding it possible to own one. Ford was apparently not interested in getting into an arms race with Chevy/Dodge, and Blue Oval felt that the lower price tag for a V8 would still beckon the average customer in the market for a sports car with some giddyup; without John or Jane Doe having to declare bankruptcy after driving off the lot. I think more than anything, it's a reflection of Ford's desperate attempts to stay afloat. A company in their position can hardly afford to take chances with a new setup on a classic car. If gas hits $4.50-$5.00 within the next year, you can bet your @$$ that you won't see nearly as many Camaro SS's or Challenger RT's/SRT8's as you will see '10 GT's.

Another point, who knows how reliable Chevy's 6.2L V8 will be? The 5.7L V8 in the Challenger? Chevy did ok for themselves offering a 300 hp aircraft carrier on wheels equipped with a V6. Who knows how well the Camaro will actually fare?...especially with that awful front end haha. All it takes is for a major engine issue to present itself, and the whole line is suddenly highly questionable. The same concerns arise with the Challenger. The SE trim package will have less power than the Mustang V6. What's the point? I think the Mustang will fare better with the general population than people think, especially with the Mustang's penchant for reliability. For true enthusiasts like us however...we're kind of left at a loss.

I thought I didn't really like the new-ish design, but now I'm finding that it really appeals to me. Nevertheless, it's very disappointing that Ford decided against adding some girth under the hood.
Challenger V6 actually has more power than the V6 mustang but because it weighs 4000 lbs, it's actually slower than the mustang.

Challenger is laughable in that the car was around for a whopping 3-4 years, disappears for 30, then makes a "triumphant" return. Yeah... umm..sure. Camaro...we'll see, it's already been discontinued once because in Bob Lutz's own words. They're not looking to make a camaro for every driver like the mustang. Majority will win again. BTW GM AND Chrysler are doing far worse than Ford is.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:07 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Challenger V6 actually has more power than the V6 mustang but because it weighs 4000 lbs, it's actually slower than the mustang.

Challenger is laughable in that the car was around for a whopping 3-4 years, disappears for 30, then makes a "triumphant" return. Yeah... umm..sure. Camaro...we'll see, it's already been discontinued once because in Bob Lutz's own words. They're not looking to make a camaro for every driver like the mustang. Majority will win again. BTW GM AND Chrysler are doing far worse than Ford is.
Oh my bad. For some reason, I saw 250 HP for the Challenger V6, and thought that the V6 Stang had 260.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:19 PM
rubah_dmb

i dunno guys i REALLY LOVE the new 'Stang...Ford is in the business of selling cars and 400hp with a 35K price tag wont sell cars to everyday people...besides u bought a Mustang for what it stands for...so quit hating and start enjoying a piece of automotive history when u get behind the wheel of the best car model ever made...MUSTANG
Old 11-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Rdot9
DubStep Stu

HOLY COW THATS A HUGE SIG!!!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Going for broke
2nd Gear Member

I guess it's about what I expected. I too didn't expect much in the way of more power.
Ford has NEVER been one to make huge jumps from year to year on power. If I remember correctly it took twenty years to gain 100 horse. Those of you that thought that they would come out with a 400 horse 5.0 are just kidding yourself. Honestly the motor of the future for the tuners will more then likely be the ecoboost. the back end is a little different but the interior is an upgrade. And can you believe that they will actually offer autolamp on the 2010??? thats only ten years behind the times.

I agree that adding a supercharger would be a viable option for those that seek more power. The problem with that is most don't have the 5k to pony up for the add-on after the point of purchase. (except for the revolving debt lovers.)

What you have to realize is for all but a handful of us the 315 horse will be more then sufficient. You build for the masses not for the individuals.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Jeebus, luckily my internet is 20mb per second, i only had to wait 5 minutes for this page to load rubah's sig.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Hmmm, I'm not sure why I feel compelled to post, as the first thing I have to say is "to each his own."

The new car is growing on me rapidly (inside and out). I would love to see one in person. The S197 did nothing for me in pics, but once I saw it in person I was hooked.

As for engine output, I'm a bit disappointed. They can get an easy 340-350 hp out of this engine with the intake upgrade they included (Bullit) and a cam swap and requiring premium (say, for a Premium GT). I just don't see why they didn't, given that they have to install cams and tune anyway...where's the loss on their part? Perhaps they're worried about reliability? I dunno, looks like we're waiting (for seemingly no reason) until 2011 or 12.

I'll part by saying FINALLY a decent e-brake boot instead of that crappy plastic cover. And the new door inserts look nice. The dash is growing on me too. I'm not giving up my `06, but I welcome this evolutionary design.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

not bad.. but i like mine way better..
Old 11-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by rubah_dmb
i dunno guys i REALLY LOVE the new 'Stang...Ford is in the business of selling cars and 400hp with a 35K price tag wont sell cars to everyday people...besides u bought a Mustang for what it stands for...so quit hating and start enjoying a piece of automotive history when u get behind the wheel of the best car model ever made...MUSTANG
Of COURSE!!!
We should enjoy the mustang for the name!
How stupid can you be?

No I did not buy my mustang JUST for what it stood for.
(Which by the way stood for a car with quality that was affordable)
Um... let's see almost 100hp more in the maro and around the same price?
A v6 that puts up the same numbers in the maro for cheaper than a GT?

To add to this.... If the maro ends up performing much better at almost the same price does not that not in itself go against what the Mustang stands for?

I hope the power in the Mustang GT is enough to play with the V8 Camaro,
but if the Camaro blows it buy at close to the same cost (no first year markups do not count in this because if that is so we would have to use the first year markup on our GT's)...
then saying that Ford messed up is NOT being a hater. It is simply stating the truth and not being a FANBOY.

I love Mustangs but what you said here is just plain stupid.
Quit talking in stupid slogans and being such a fanboy.
Use your brain.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 11-18-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:01 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

I love it, if you all don't see the retro look in it then you're crazy. The headlights remind me of the 1970 stang, except not with those fake scoops, now they're turn signals instead.

Also the rear quarters pop out more like the 69/70 model, with some flatness on the top side. Very aggressive and sweet, its my favorite part of my 69 mach1.

Even the friggin AC vents are like 69/70 model, with the two square vents in the center and two round ones on the outside areas.

I think if people don't like it they are just bitter at "oh no there isn't a ton more power for super cheap!" If they added a 400hp engine, the price of the stang would shoot up and less people will buy them, and then the mustang really would be in danger.

Quick Reply: 2010 Revealed