Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which aftermarket clutch do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:42 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

since americanspeed isn't selling clutch
kits, he can afford to be completely
honest with folks. he doesn't want to
recommend any clutch, unless in his mind
it's 100% perfect.

this is why i'll never recommend the clutch i
have, even though i really like it, it's
not perfect.

Originally Posted by loots06
So let me get this straight they're standing behind their product, unlike Spuck, and you still dont feel comfortable recommending them. Wow!!
Old 04-02-2009, 12:16 PM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like noone likes their clutches! LOL
I would have to say though, even if they fail sometimes, their customer support is amazing... ill check out the stage 5 like your using. Let me know if anything goes wrong with it.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:18 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Damn Brice I had no idea you were still having so many clutch issues. I have to say the fact they are replacing them for free and paying install labor is amazing. Very few companies would do that. I understand though due to the poor reliability I wouldnt feel comfortable recommending them either. Hope the new one holds.

By the way check out the thread for "Mustangs and Mustangs" show. You should go.

Hammeron - I agree with you 100% I have yet to hear of a "perfect" clutch. But I am of the opinion that any high performance clutch is going to be a tradeoff. When you get holding power like 800 ft lbs you have to give up something, peddle effort, smooth engagement, noise etc. IMO the twin discs have the best mix of these things to remain streetable.

But I will say these cars are the biggest PITA for aftermarket clutches I have heard of. And someday I wish I had an auto so i could just drop a built 4R70W in there and be done.

For stock or bolt on people I always recommend to stick with the stocker but for FI people you have to pic the lesser of all the evils.

Good Luck.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:13 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Nothing will ever compare to the feel and reliability of the stock clutch, Ford puts a hell of a lot of more money into the R&D for its design. Aftermarket companys have a minor amount of time and money for R&D on their products. Its too bad the stock ones can't hold up to test of FI.

Competition Clutch is an honest company and they are standing behind their product, which is why I wanted to tell my whole story. I would just feel bad if I recommended them to someone and then they had problems like I did, even if Competition was footing the bill for the fix, it sucks to have to break-in a bunch of clutches and to send your car to the shop to get the work done, not to mention getting stranded and having to get your car towed.

The stage 5 has been used at the track many times, I've ran my 11.36 and 11.32 times with it. Biggest complaint with it are what most people experience with a heavy duty clutch, no lugging first gear without a bunch of chatter.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:07 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

yep and i agree 100%.

if i were to recommend a particular clutch, i
would have to (in good faith) also explain
in detail, the known issues with it....i guess
i just don't feel like having to do that everytime.

Originally Posted by MustangGT0405

But I am of the opinion that any high performance clutch is going to be a tradeoff. When you get holding power like 800 ft lbs you have to give up something, peddle effort, smooth engagement, noise etc.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:57 PM
blk05stang
2nd Gear Member

I talked to Dave at Brenspeed today and he said he recommends the spec stage 2+ and that it's one of the best clutches out there. He said he has installed a bunch of them and never had any real problems or complaints.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:57 PM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

I may too be in the market for a new clutch (please check out my recent thread "Troubleshoting Needed").
If I do need one what clutches are in your guys' opinion the most cost effective clutches for what you get?
Old 04-02-2009, 05:44 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by moosestang
Don't get the 2+! Lots of bad JUJU surrounding that model. I've been using the stage 2 for awhile now with no issues. With spec i'd get the stage 2 or stage 3+.

If this stage 2 dies prematurely, then my next clutch purchase will likely be a centerforce.
I thought you would have gone Mcleod? Any reason other then price? should be the last one you ever need......(sure same is true for the centerforce)
Old 04-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Local Yokel
2nd Gear Member

Anyone running the DFX?
Old 04-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blk05stang
I talked to Dave at Brenspeed today and he said he recommends the spec stage 2+ and that it's one of the best clutches out there. He said he has installed a bunch of them and never had any real problems or complaints.
+1 JDM said the exact same thing. He stated the reason why people could be having issues is cause they may put them in wrong.

Last edited by Smooth_J; 04-02-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Which aftermarket clutch do you recommend?