Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which aftermarket clutch do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 04:48 PM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

Default Which aftermarket clutch do you recommend?

Which aftermarket clutch do you recommend. I was looking at Spec on American Muscle and they have stage 1, stage 2, stage 2+, stage 3, stage 3+... Why is stage 2+ more expensive than stage 3, which is better? Im almost ready to replace mine and i plan on getting a 8psi whipple this summer.
What would you recommend for 425rwhp (thats the most i want to go, im scared to pop the stock block).
Thanks!
Old 04-01-2009, 05:08 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Don't get the 2+! Lots of bad JUJU surrounding that model. I've been using the stage 2 for awhile now with no issues. With spec i'd get the stage 2 or stage 3+.

If this stage 2 dies prematurely, then my next clutch purchase will likely be a centerforce.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:35 PM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

hmmmm how does it feel? close to stock?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Watching
Old 04-01-2009, 07:04 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i have a CF DF clutch w/ their steel flywheel. i'm still breaking it in. it started off pretty heavy felt like double the effort vs stock, but after 100 miles or so it got better, now im at about 300 mile mark and its loosening up a bit, just a little heavier than stock.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:14 PM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

my stock clutch is EXTREMELY heavy, ive compared it to 2 guys on with s197s... thats one of the main reasons im switching clutches. It hurts my leg after an hour in traffic, and i have muscular legs.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:26 PM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

I know people have aftermarket clutches... i need some kind of info :-/
Old 04-02-2009, 08:45 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Well I have a Mcleod RST Twin disc and Mcloed Billet FW. It is rated at 800 ft lbs of tq. It isnt cheap though. I mostly see it for around $1200 as a set. I got it cheaper on a group buy though so deals are out there.

The clutch is great. i had a small issue with the input shaft but it was probably like that from the factory. Peddle is light and I will never over power it.

Now for what you want I would go with what Moose did. He has had good luck with his Spec Stage 2 and it is rated at 500 ft lbs. If not the Stage 2 your only other choice from my reading is the Spec 3+. Alot of guys have it and like it.

But if you have the coin a RST is a great choice.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:41 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

With all the clutch issues I've been through, I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending any of them to anyone. I can recommend to NOT get the Spec 2+. I had that and shifting was nearly impossible! Plus Spec is notorious for terrible customer support. Any single disc clutch will most likely be much heavier than stock, doesn't bother me though, I'm pretty use to it (after I took the Spec 2+ out, I had a stocker put back in until I got a new aftermarket clutch, I felt like freaking superman pushing that stock clutch in!).

Currently I am using a Competition Clutch stage 5 and I don't have any complaints yet. It's hard for me to comfortably recommend them though, since things haven't gone too smoothly with their products (although they were very willing to make things right). My first clutch from Competion Clutch was a stage 4. Shifting felt fine but after a couple of weeks it left me stranded when I got on the throttle hard and it over extended my throw out bearing. So my mechanic put in a stock pressure plate to see if that could cure the measurement problems, competition clutch agreed to pay him for all his labor and parts to figure out the problem. This didn't work out, as the stock pressure plate was not strong enough to keep the clutch from slipping like crazy under hard throttle (I could not floor it in any gear without massive clutch slip). Reported this back to Competition Clutch and they said that they would have a working solution within a week or they would buy me the McLeod RST and pay for all labor (at this point I was frusterated and just wanted to go with the RST). Within a week they had a solution, sent out a new stage 4 clutch and paid my mechanic to install it. Now this clutch felt perfect, shifted like stock (was heavier than stock, but that was to be expected). Fast foward to a few monthes later. I was at the track and on a run, when I shifted into 4th gear, BOOM! I blew up the clutch (I didn't know what I broke at this point). Friend let me use his AAA (I am now a member!!) and had it towed to my mechanic. He sends me a picture of the clutch and notifies competition clutch. So now they send me out their stage 5 clutch (6 puck sprung design) and pay my mechanic for his labor. I've had this clutch in for a while and it shifts perfectly, hopefully it won't blow up.

I know its a long post, but I figured I'd disclose all my experience so you understand why it's hard for me to comfortably recommend what I am using.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:30 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AmericanSpeed
With all the clutch issues I've been through, I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending any of them to anyone. I can recommend to NOT get the Spec 2+. I had that and shifting was nearly impossible! Plus Spec is notorious for terrible customer support. Any single disc clutch will most likely be much heavier than stock, doesn't bother me though, I'm pretty use to it (after I took the Spec 2+ out, I had a stocker put back in until I got a new aftermarket clutch, I felt like freaking superman pushing that stock clutch in!).

Currently I am using a Competition Clutch stage 5 and I don't have any complaints yet. It's hard for me to comfortably recommend them though, since things haven't gone too smoothly with their products (although they were very willing to make things right). My first clutch from Competion Clutch was a stage 4. Shifting felt fine but after a couple of weeks it left me stranded when I got on the throttle hard and it over extended my throw out bearing. So my mechanic put in a stock pressure plate to see if that could cure the measurement problems, competition clutch agreed to pay him for all his labor and parts to figure out the problem. This didn't work out, as the stock pressure plate was not strong enough to keep the clutch from slipping like crazy under hard throttle (I could not floor it in any gear without massive clutch slip). Reported this back to Competition Clutch and they said that they would have a working solution within a week or they would buy me the McLeod RST and pay for all labor (at this point I was frusterated and just wanted to go with the RST). Within a week they had a solution, sent out a new stage 4 clutch and paid my mechanic to install it. Now this clutch felt perfect, shifted like stock (was heavier than stock, but that was to be expected). Fast foward to a few monthes later. I was at the track and on a run, when I shifted into 4th gear, BOOM! I blew up the clutch (I didn't know what I broke at this point). Friend let me use his AAA (I am now a member!!) and had it towed to my mechanic. He sends me a picture of the clutch and notifies competition clutch. So now they send me out their stage 5 clutch (6 puck sprung design) and pay my mechanic for his labor. I've had this clutch in for a while and it shifts perfectly, hopefully it won't blow up.

I know its a long post, but I figured I'd disclose all my experience so you understand why it's hard for me to comfortably recommend what I am using.
So let me get this straight they're standing behind their product, unlike Spuck, and you still dont feel comfortable recommending them. Wow!!

Quick Reply: Which aftermarket clutch do you recommend?