Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

review: 2010 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Default review: 2010 mustang

Ford swapped almost every single panel on the car to make it more civilized than the past mustang. This is a welcome change in terms of material quality but in terms of visual appeal it's either hit or miss. Upscale is an apt descriptor for the car, every single peice of it has been more than painstakingly altered to be higher market. For example the dome lights look exactly the same and are the least changed plastic part of the interior, however even the buttons that turn the interior lights on have gotten a more pleasurable feel to them when you turn them on. This being the smallest change goes to show how everything else has gotten a similar treatment.

The styling people at Ford have taken a lot of effort to make each little bit of the exterior of the car more physically styled, but unfortunately I have to say that it hasn't worked. The car doesn't look any better or worse than the 2005-2009 mustang, it only looks different on average. The weird part of all this is though that there is a lot more difference between the results depending on it's visual options which are much more drastic, for example... if you compare a 2010 with HID's to a 2005-2009 it looks much worse because the HID's are weird and the trunk looks too small. However if you compare a GT with the aftermarket styled blackout panel and base headlights to a 2005-2009 it looks much better because the trunk looks bigger the lines are nicer and the car comes off crisper without being weird and looking bad. The rearward dungeon is exactly the same with no changes compared to the old car.

No matter what the underpinnings are the car feels better overall to drive in. It's much smoother and less bumpy and the grip has been improved simultaneously. This isn't a big deal because lots of aftermarket suspensions can create similar results but it's nice to see that Ford isn't making the car's stock pieces look like they were picked out at random. Based on replacement part cost which I checked against being inflated and found that they aren't the suspension components actually cost much more, this is a plus because the originals were bad because they were cheap.

From behind the wheel the impression in the GT is that the car is very floppy and mushy much more so than the old car, which isn't a bad thing, nor is it a good thing. The 2010 GTfeels easier to drive compared to the 2009 GT. The v6 has the same setup out of the old GT and it feels the same as it. The weight feels more substantial but this is because of the added sound deadening which I don't notice the effect of on cabin volume.

The acceleration is quick but feels MUCH slower because the car gives you less driver feedback and is more isolated from the road. The acceleration despite having a tuned GT horsepower figure is only as quick based on timing numbers I did with a portable system similar to a g-tech which is one that is very accurate and more calibrated.

The car didn't leave the impression of being a scorching drag racer compared to the old car. I tried it with the traction control off and on. Also you'll still want to get a new tune if you have one now because the car has no throttle pedal feel to it

The dashboard more than once reminded me that the hood wasn't completely closed. There's a new sensor under it that detects what's going on there, but there's also a new panel that covers the headlights which makes closing the hood with the hood rod in the wrong position harder. It partially latches and then opened on it's own.

Some of the compromises of this new direction with the 2010 in terms of significantly more styled pieces everywhere are that they work a lot worse than the old parts. For example the gauges are much harder to read and the vents are harder to use because they don't rotate. The whole car from the dash's non similar air vents to the a tail light look like it was put together from the remnants of furniture from a 1970s house of funk, there are really a lot of things going on, and lots of lights everywhere.

The headliner has a new material that looks like twill and the rear opening center console modification isn't too shabby.

The car comes off smaller and a little narrower than you'd expect from driving a 2005+.

My local dealer was willing to sell slightly below MSRP.

I like to hear comments so feel free to.

Last edited by Legion5; 04-23-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:10 PM
kngdaka
4th Gear Member

I haven't driven one, but I got an up close look at one.

Overall, its not a bad re-design. I like the front end on the new ones better than the 05-09s, as well as the hump in the rear quarter panels. The interior looks very well done, definitely a great improvement in my opinion. Also, you mentioned too many lights and bells and whistles, but I wouldn't think that personally. I think what they have done is spot on with what other companies have done. Ford has taken some heat for not making cars people want to drive in, and the new improvements (though many) on the interior shows Ford's response to those claims.

But, in the end I wouldn't buy one based on the rear end look of the car in lighter colors. We've all seen pictures of the dark blue shelby, and thats a great color to hide the black plastic that skirts along the bottom of the entire car. But in lighter colors the black plastic cheapens any attempt to make the car seem more "upscale"

Good review on the driving. I'm not sure about the feedback on acceleration part, that's a big selling point for people who really want to feel the brawn of the car. Seems as if Ford is trying to target the average Mustang driver vs. the Mustang enthusiast.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:25 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by kngdaka
I haven't driven one, but I got an up close look at one.

Overall, its not a bad re-design. I like the front end on the new ones better than the 05-09s, as well as the hump in the rear quarter panels. The interior looks very well done, definitely a great improvement in my opinion. Also, you mentioned too many lights and bells and whistles, but I wouldn't think that personally. I think what they have done is spot on with what other companies have done. Ford has taken some heat for not making cars people want to drive in, and the new improvements (though many) on the interior shows Ford's response to those claims.

But, in the end I wouldn't buy one based on the rear end look of the car in lighter colors. We've all seen pictures of the dark blue shelby, and thats a great color to hide the black plastic that skirts along the bottom of the entire car. But in lighter colors the black plastic cheapens any attempt to make the car seem more "upscale"

Good review on the driving. I'm not sure about the feedback on acceleration part, that's a big selling point for people who really want to feel the brawn of the car. Seems as if Ford is trying to target the average Mustang driver vs. the Mustang enthusiast.
Everybody loves the current GT500 and it has BLACK MOULDING along the bottom. The new camaro has an optional BLACK MOULDING body kit. lots of cars have this...seems the new craze.... but no one likes it on the stang.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:37 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

"The whole car from the dash's non similar air vents to the a tail light look like it was put together from the remnants of furniture from a 1970s house of funk, there are really a lot of things going on, and lots of lights everywhere."

The new camaro has the same style of non turning center dash vents with outboard round vents. it also has the typical HUGE ***** for heating / cooling with the standard fugly looking radio. What's up with the ugly gauge pods and that tiny *** Nav screen stuck in between the gauge pods in the center of the gauges.....just ugly...typical Chevy crap
Old 04-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Excellent review guys, especially in the details. I've been looking at these but am in no hurry to buy one. I am going to wait for the 2012's or so as I imagine Ford will respond with some improvements to what people don't like about the 2010 model.

Overall the 2010's look fantastic. I knew that mustang enthusiasts wouldn't be fond of the rear end plastics used. Two things will happen. A) There will be a lot of after market parts to replace that piece, and B) Ford might do away with that in later models.

To general mustang lovers I'm sure that rear end plastic isn't an issue. With fans though of anything in any market, God is in the details.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Default my thoughts after a test drive

Well, I test drove a 2010 GT 5 speed yesterday and was blown away by the acceleration! Admittedly, I was coming from my 2005 automatic GT (stock) but I've always got 0-60 times in the normal mid 5 second range. The new GT pushed me back into the seat significantly more, felt much easier to steer and felt much tighter all around.
Of course it did have the 3.73 rear gear option, which is why I was able to chirp second gear without even trying. The front end doesn't rise the the 2005, highway driving felt rock solid and much more quiet, and I won't even go into all the numerous features this thing had, like Sync and Navigation, but they were features that are going to help Ford sell a lot of premium Mustangs!

No deals on the car at all, as there are no incentives, plus most were over optioned, with the 19" wheels, leather, all that stuff. Prices are up there! Over $34,000 MSRP on most GT's!

I did see a V6 in Sterling Grey and the black rear facia blended in pretty well. Check out the brochure on the 2010's and you'll see that there are few photos that show the rear of this model!
Oh, and i finally saw Sunset Gold and it's not as great as I'd hoped. Kinda reminded me of the brownish-gold cars I'd see old men in Tucson driving. Bummer! But the Grabber Blue is eye-catching, the new cloth seats are a big improvement over those silly prior cloth seats. And wait until you see the Saddle interior! It really is done nicely!
Attached Thumbnails review: 2010 mustang-2010-v6.jpg  
Old 04-27-2009, 12:49 AM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion_240

No deals on the car at all, as there are no incentives, plus most were over optioned, with the 19" wheels, leather, all that stuff. Prices are up there! Over $34,000 MSRP on most GT's!
No deals for now. They're new. They're hot and in demand. Give it time and the deals will come. When the 2011's hit, the deals on the 2010's will set in.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:48 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

yes, but the 2011's won't be coming for a long, long time!
Probably 17 months (for 2010 Sept deliveries) if they don't accelerate the intro of those models!
Old 04-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion_240
yes, but the 2011's won't be coming for a long, long time!
Probably 17 months (for 2010 Sept deliveries) if they don't accelerate the intro of those models!
Bah, 2011's will hit the same time next year. 12 months Just depends on how bad you want one I guess.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:13 AM
Demon 340
Administrator

i got my hands on a 2010 GT yesterday, and i was pretty impressed. i think that ford has done a good job of improving the interior fit and finish, although i found the shifter to be a bit "notchy". i also didnt like the fitment of the trunk lid to the tail lights..it looks like they dont quite fit together...but all in all, i was impressed. they could certainly put a stiffer clutch in the car...as i thought that they made it a little too user-friendly.

ill have my review posted on my site later this week...heres my teaser..for anyone who might be interested.