Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for Automatic stang owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 11:58 AM
mustangfan410
The 2014 Mustang Forums T-Shirt Design Winner

i just release the brake pedal slowly, the sound started to get annoying especially when paring on an incline.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Mister Roper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Maybe it's because having all of these gadgets to help keep stupid people from doing stupid things is only going to result in drivers being even less knowledgeable about what they're supposed to be doing...
Exactly.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:21 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Maybe it's because having all of these gadgets to help keep stupid people from doing stupid things is only going to result in drivers being even less knowledgeable about what they're supposed to be doing.

That sounds nice in theory, but in practice it has shown to mean little to nothing. Keeping stupid people from doing stupid things not only protects them but everyone else around them. Before all of these "helper gadgets" years ago, did we have less stupid people doing stupid things b/c they were better educated? Not at all. They were not better educated and there were no less stupid people.

Even those who are not "stupid" and are well educated on a particular subject will do something stupid every once and a while.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
Keeping stupid people from doing stupid things not only protects them but everyone else around them.

Even those who are not "stupid" and are well educated on a particular subject will do something stupid every once and a while.
+1 If a feature keeps someone else from crashing into me or keeps me from doing something stupid, then it's not all bad.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:47 AM
Mister Roper
2nd Gear Member

...Keeping stupid people from doing stupid things not only protects them but everyone else around them...
It also allows them to breed and make more little stupid people. I think we should let natural selection take it's course...
Old 05-18-2009, 06:51 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Before all of these "helper gadgets" years ago, did we have less stupid people doing stupid things b/c they were better educated? Not at all. They were not better educated and there were no less stupid people.
Point taken, sort of. Most folks would have learned the real reason either from whoever was instructing them, or at least picked it up pretty quickly from early experience. Then again, there weren't as many distractions back then to take your mind off the inportant stuff. You simply learned and it became second-nature - that much was expected of you (what a concept!).

Let me share a loosely related story. A rather long time ago I was getting into the car with my Dad to go home from . . . well, from where is irrelevant. I asked him if I could try to start the car up and he agreed. Big lurch forward because the car was in gear and the car was a 3-speed manual. I know that this incident had to have happened some time in the early 1950's, making me about six, maybe seven years old. "Both feet in" by my Dad, lesson taught, brief explanation given, lesson learned (etched on a brain cell?).

Are we required to assume that today's crop of new drivers has a poorer aptitude for learning the practical things of "immediate, right now importance" than the seven year old of fifty-odd years ago? If so, why is that a good thing?

Yes, poo does happen from time to time. Sometimes you're the poo-er, sometimes the poo-ee. Life is like that.

The mindset that is leading to "everybody needing to be protected from afar against everything at all times" is ultimately misguided.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-18-2009 at 06:57 AM.