Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to find non ethanol gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:25 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Default Where to find non ethanol gas

From what I understand, ethanol is good because we use less oil. But, ethanol doesn't burn as efficiently so we get lower fuel economy. I have heard that Shell gas stations used to not put any ethanol in their 93 octane. Is this true? Who else sells non ethanol gas? I'm near Charlottesville, Virginia. I went hunting in the area today. I found one Exxon that didn't have a "uses up to 10% ethanol" label on their pump. I didn't ask them if it contained ethanol though. Another thing, I read on the internet that putting 1 oz acetone to 10 gallons of gas improves fuel economy. Is this true and is it harmful?
Old 08-01-2009, 09:33 AM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangmaster
From what I understand, ethanol is good because we use less oil. But, ethanol doesn't burn as efficiently so we get lower fuel economy. I have heard that Shell gas stations used to not put any ethanol in their 93 octane. Is this true? Who else sells non ethanol gas? I'm near Charlottesville, Virginia. I went hunting in the area today. I found one Exxon that didn't have a "uses up to 10% ethanol" label on their pump. I didn't ask them if it contained ethanol though. Another thing, I read on the internet that putting 1 oz acetone to 10 gallons of gas improves fuel economy. Is this true and is it harmful?

You are right about Shell, but they started to do 10% as well, so no luck there. As far as I know, at least here in the mid-atlantic, there's nowhere you can buy plain gasoline anymore.

The acetone thing was busted by the Mythbusters. All you will do is ruin the paint around your fuel door eventually, and destroy the hoses, etc under your hood.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

So, this is the oil companies spinning their wheels again. Because putting ethanol in gas is supposed to save fuel by replacing gas with ethanol. But, ethanol makes our cars get less fuel economy. So, after all is said and done, we end up buying more fuel because our cars are getting less fuel economy because of the ethanol added in the gas. So, are we really saving any oil in the end? I don't think so. So then, we should look at it this way; does ethanol make our car's engines last longer than plain gas? Nope, so what's the purpose of putting in the ethanol? I remember in 1977 when I first started driving, I could buy 97 octane gas and it burned so clean my car's tailpipes were snow white. It's a shame populations have increased so much we have to produce low octane/lower quality gas.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:54 PM
LegendLives
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangmaster
So, this is the oil companies spinning their wheels again. Because putting ethanol in gas is supposed to save fuel by replacing gas with ethanol. But, ethanol makes our cars get less fuel economy. So, after all is said and done, we end up buying more fuel because our cars are getting less fuel economy because of the ethanol added in the gas. So, are we really saving any oil in the end? I don't think so. So then, we should look at it this way; does ethanol make our car's engines last longer than plain gas? Nope, so what's the purpose of putting in the ethanol? I remember in 1977 when I first started driving, I could buy 97 octane gas and it burned so clean my car's tailpipes were snow white. It's a shame populations have increased so much we have to produce low octane/lower quality gas.
+1 I want straight 93 octane also not this monkeyed w/ crap
Old 08-02-2009, 08:16 AM
GA05GT
2nd Gear Member

Greenville, SC has 100% gas They have Huge Banners stating so...
Old 08-02-2009, 09:34 AM
NaplesFL11GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GA05GT
Greenville, SC has 100% gas They have Huge Banners stating so...
You are right, I remember when I was up there visiting last Feb I seen some banners saying ethanol free gasoline. Wish it was down here in FL.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:34 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

I get 20-21MPG in the city and up to 34MPG on the highway (55MPH) with a good mix of spirited and conservative driving, running a 93 octane race tune from Bamachips. That's better than most of the "gas mileage" posts that I've seen. All of the gas here has 10% eth... has for years.

Honestly, don't worry about it. No need to make a special trip. That amount of ethanol will have less than 1MPG difference, if any. Just fill up with quality gas, at the right octane level for your tune, and enjoy your car.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:17 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

In Missouri, state law requires gas stations to have at least 10% ethanol. I have to go to Casey's stations in IL to get 87 octane w/o ethanol. I run missouri gas in my car, but have to go to IL to get gas for my Lawn-Boy mower. The older mowers had plastic parts in the carburators and the ethanol will destroy them over time. Go team.....
Old 08-03-2009, 04:14 PM
gremlin190
1st Gear Member

I notice a difference when I get ethanol gas. My friends Honda also gets lower gas mileage. I wish I could find a non ethanol station around here