Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

275 wide tires on OEM rims...step inside please if you have them

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 05:28 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Old 10-16-2009, 05:31 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

That's all I have right now. As far as looks it doesnt stick out from the fender and it looks kinda short on the car. They fit on the rims very well and have a slight tire buldge that looks very well.

I'll make no promises but if i have time tommorow I will put one of them on the car and take a bunch of pics, that way everyone will have them!!!
Old 10-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

thanks for the pictures guys.

those drag radials look badass moosestang. I'm a fan of thicker sidewall myself as well. Thin sidewalls scare me
Originally Posted by Stkjock
FYI the stock 17s are only 8" wide.
wow...thanks for the correction.

stupid the 18"s are 8.5", and the 17"s are 8"
Old 10-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Also, GT500 wheels are 9 inches, not 9.5 inch.

Also, a Nitto 275 will fit fine on an 8 inch rim. It will have the slightest bulge, but nothing at all major.

It really depends on the tire. I managed to get a 315 Nitto on my 9 inch rim, and a 275 Toyo(which runs just as big as BFG or Goodyear) with no problems.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:35 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Grabber
Also, GT500 wheels are 9 inches, not 9.5 inch.

Also, a Nitto 275 will fit fine on an 8 inch rim. It will have the slightest bulge, but nothing at all major.
Wrong on both accounts. The GT500 rims ARE 9.5. Check any Ford racing publication.

Also, Aside from Drag Radial/slick type tires, there is not a single manufacture I have found that will recommend larger than a 255/50 for an 8" wide rim. I had a set of 255/50 on 17x8's (still do actually) and the amount of sidewall roll in a normal highway driving condition was pretty bad. I wouldn't suggest a 275 on an 8" rim under any circustances...
Old 10-16-2009, 09:50 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Originally Posted by GT Bob
Wrong on both accounts. The GT500 rims ARE 9.5. Check any Ford racing publication.

Also, Aside from Drag Radial/slick type tires, there is not a single manufacture I have found that will recommend larger than a 255/50 for an 8" wide rim. I had a set of 255/50 on 17x8's (still do actually) and the amount of sidewall roll in a normal highway driving condition was pretty bad. I wouldn't suggest a 275 on an 8" rim under any circustances...
yep on both accounts
Old 10-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT Bob
I wouldn't suggest a 275 on an 8" rim under any circustances...
sorry, I had assumed the 17" rims were like my OEM Bullitts and were 8.5" wide

I'll be running the 275 on 8.5" wide...and I know that is pushing it. I agree 100% that 8" is too little rim for that sidewall height.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:14 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Tylus
Got any pictures of them installed on your OEM 17x8.5 or 18x8.5 rims?
Once again you rise to the occasion, Tylus.
OEM 17s are not 8.5" wide.
They are 8" wide.
I have 18x8.5s and am going to the 275/40-18s.
They are .75 wider so 3/8" wider inside and 3/8" wider outside.
They dont bulge or stick out.
Pull the trigger and lets see what fits on your OEM 17x8" OEM stockers...

Man the misinformation is a flying round this post.
8"
no 8.5"
9"
no 9.5"

16x7 39mm offset
17x8 45mm offset
18x8.5 50mm offset
FR500 18x9.5 ?50mm offset?

Last edited by 157dB; 10-17-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
Once again you rise to the occasion, Tylus.
OEM 17s are not 8.5" wide.
They are 8" wide.
I have 18x8.5s and am going to the 275/40-18s.
They are .75 wider so 3/8" wider inside and 3/8" wider outside.
They dont bulge or stick out.
Pull the trigger and lets see what fits on your OEM 17x8" OEM stockers...

Man the misinformation is a flying round this post.
8"
no 8.5"
9"
no 9.5"

16x7 39mm offset
17x8 45mm offset
18x8.5 50mm offset
FR500 18x9.5 ?50mm offset?
you are an idiot who assumes he is all knowing. If you'd bother to read the posts prior to yours, you would see that I have already been corrected, and I acknowledged that the OEM 17" rims are only 8" wide

and if you further bothered to read anything, you would see that I HAVE OEM 18" BULLITTS THAT ARE 8.5" WIDE and not 17" rims.
You however just jump into 99% of threads with guns blazing and only 1/2 aware of the discussion.
Try something for me the next time you bother to post something.
Fully Read...Digest It...Understand the Question/Statement...Then Comment

Many people would appreciate this approach. And you'd actually make worthwhile comments that are germaine to the discussion.

BTW, when I say read the post...that means all the posts. Wouldn't want you to say something stupid again because you skimmed over post #1 and then threw your $0.02 into the scheme.

people like yourself are the reasons why forums degenerate into a bunch of squabbling little children who ask retarded questions daily, and never have any useful contributions.
sorry that I assumed something like that about those 17" rims. but I was corrected by another member, and I have taken that onboard...which strangly enough is all in the posts prior to yours

I think I will shortly place you onto my ignore list 157bd. like many other people on MF.

your attitude is not warranted, and frankly is annoying as hell. feel free to drop some of the attitude. I'm quite surprised you haven't been banned for some of your behaviour. On several of the other boards I frequent, you would have already been Suspended at the very least. But for some reason MF is more lenient
Old 10-17-2009, 09:23 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by Tylus
you are an idiot who assumes he is all knowing. If you'd bother to read the posts prior to yours, you would see that I have already been corrected, and I acknowledged that the OEM 17" rims are only 8" wide

and if you further bothered to read anything, you would see that I HAVE OEM 18" BULLITTS THAT ARE 8.5" WIDE and not 17" rims.
You however just jump into 99% of threads with guns blazing and only 1/2 aware of the discussion.
Try something for me the next time you bother to post something.
Fully Read...Digest It...Understand the Question/Statement...Then Comment

Many people would appreciate this approach. And you'd actually make worthwhile comments that are germaine to the discussion.

BTW, when I say read the post...that means all the posts. Wouldn't want you to say something stupid again because you skimmed over post #1 and then threw your $0.02 into the scheme.
people like yourself are the reasons why forums degenerate into a bunch of squabbling little children who ask retarded questions daily, and never have any useful contributions.
sorry that I assumed something like that about those 17" rims. but I was corrected by another member, and I have taken that onboard...which strangly enough is all in the posts prior to yours

I think I will shortly place you onto my ignore list 157bd. like many other people on MF.

your attitude is not warranted, and frankly is annoying as hell. feel free to drop some of the attitude. I'm quite surprised you haven't been banned for some of your behaviour. On several of the other boards I frequent, you would have already been Suspended at the very least. But for some reason MF is more lenient
Tylus you said it all and 157db......can't you please at least try to be a little less sarcastic and at least read the thread and the posts before jumping in with your unwarranted and not needed input.

Hate to say this Tylus but in this thread and with his post he has not broken any rules.....just pushed some buttons on a member that is fed up with it.

I don't condone his responses to many on the forum and have stepped in many times to diffuse the situation and removed some posts.

All the moderators and ADMIN are aware of him and he is on our radar......he is walking a thin line and he knows when to quit before infractions or PA or banning (most of the time).

Time will tell......any responses to what I wrote or what Tylus wrote can be sent to me via PM...any retalitory post or thread will result in a BAN......

Quick Reply: 275 wide tires on OEM rims...step inside please if you have them