Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Wiring! Homelink install almost complete

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 07:28 PM
wbk_viper
1st Gear Member

Default Help with Wiring! Homelink install almost complete

So I'm almost done with my aftermarket homelink install. I read the sticky but want to make sure I wire this right.

The homelink unit has 2 green striped and 2 black wires coming off it. Do I need to wire all 4 wires or just 2 of them? I'm assuming I only use 2.

Do I wire both green and both black wires to the existing wiring? OR just 1 green and 1 black?

Does it matter which wires I connect them too in the map light console? or as long as a green goes to green and a black to black will I be ok?

I just don't know which wires to tap into.

Last edited by wbk_viper; 12-20-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:00 PM
wbk_viper
1st Gear Member

I just guessed. Ha ha. And I think I got it right. Green/orange stripe to green. Black, to black. 2 wires only.

It works great. My favorite mod so far because it feels so usefull vs. the cost.

The only thing I wish I could do over is glueing the face plate on. I got some epoxy on it. The plastic wasn't black all the way through. It was coated somehow and so cleaning it off took the black off it and turned it white in places. I used a sharpie to color it black again, and it looks good, but I think I'll be more careful with the glue next time. I sharpied the entire face plate to even out the color, but it looks almost factory.

Everyone should do this. For a total of $35 I got homelink!!

Last edited by wbk_viper; 12-21-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:02 PM
wbk_viper
1st Gear Member

oops, double post
Old 12-21-2009, 12:04 AM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

Nice! Pics? Where did you choose to do the install?
Old 12-21-2009, 06:02 AM
partsbill
3rd Gear Member

I installed my homelink unit in the upper console 2 years ago, cost $0.00, I was able to get a homelink unit out of a Lincoln Town Car visor that we had warrantied because the fabric had a tear in it, I just recently came across another unit out of a Mercury Milan visor that has a defective mirror that I am installing on my motorcycle, as you can see in the picture I use it so much that the button has worn down to a polished look.
Attached Thumbnails Help with Wiring!  Homelink install almost complete-003-2.jpg  
Old 12-21-2009, 12:13 PM
wbk_viper
1st Gear Member

I installed it in the same place as PartsBill. My faceplate looks blacker, due to the sharpie, but it looks factory and works great. Just took a little patience cutting the hole and wiring.

I just need something stiff to put up above it to offer support now. I just have it duck taped in. On the sticky he suggests styrofome. that sounds like it would work so I'm going to look for some.

Last edited by wbk_viper; 12-21-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:14 PM
gt ron

Originally Posted by partsbill
I installed my homelink unit in the upper console 2 years ago, cost $0.00, I was able to get a homelink unit out of a Lincoln Town Car visor that we had warrantied because the fabric had a tear in it, I just recently came across another unit out of a Mercury Milan visor that has a defective mirror that I am installing on my motorcycle, as you can see in the picture I use it so much that the button has worn down to a polished look.
That is a sweet install. Where would you recommend I go to find one of those visor units?
Old 02-21-2010, 10:50 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Ford edge replacement visor is the cheapest unit. Just tear it apart and pull unit out. I did mine about 2 years ago as well and all is well.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:31 PM
SHOWPONY2010
1st Gear Member

Where do you get this homelink unit?
Old 10-30-2010, 10:31 PM
walnetto

Originally Posted by SHOWPONY2010
Where do you get this homelink unit?
Try ebay.

Quick Reply: Help with Wiring! Homelink install almost complete