Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed emissions - O2 sensors not ready, CAI / tune problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 02:22 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

I had the same problem last year. I was really upset because my mechanic just kept telling me to drive for a few hindred miles so that the sensors could reset. Every time I went back for inspection it was another $37. Between tickets and inspection charges it cost me over $200 last year for inspection.

I called/emailed Doug since I had a Bama tune and a few weeks later he got back to me and told me to return the car to stock before going for inspection. What a PiTA, but I did that and it passed inspection. Then I put the Bama tune back on.

After you return it to stock, you have to drive a round a while with a few on/off cycles to clear all the sensors.

Last edited by odiaz; 01-10-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:28 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
If you have a diablo tuner you can turn the O2s on and off.....its in the HEGO settings and in the manual too....if you have SCT you are SOL
that is somewhat correct.

If you had the old software from diablosport ( i think 2005) yes , you had the option to turn off /on rear o2 sensors

if you updated the DS software loader ( like i did ) to anything 2007 and beyond, they removed the option because they were mandated by the EPA

if your tuner has software from 2007+, you need to get a custom tune with the o2 sensors off
Old 01-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Mike521
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I figured the same thing myself and swapped in my stock intake and tune this afternoon. I'll head back for an inspection tomorrow after work, that'll be about 60 miles worth of miscellaneous driving so hopefully the monitor is back on

Originally Posted by svtsupremecy
mmmm about 2 weeks.....im hoping for an email back soon
that's EXTREMELY disappointing, I don't see any reason why we should have to wait 2 weeks for a response, especially when according to odiaz the response is simply going to be to return the vehicle to stock

Furthermore what if we didn't keep the old intake? We'd be f*****d right? Maybe I missed it when I placed my order but I didn't notice anything mentioning that the tune was going to turn off O2 sensors, and that depending on my state's laws it might be impossible for the car to pass inspection. Would have been nice to know in advance. Maybe it was there and I missed it though
Old 01-10-2010, 09:21 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mike521
Would have been nice to know in advance. Maybe it was there and I missed it though
Yeah, I wouldn't be able to confirm that for you. This was my first time ordering and noticed they asked that question. I don't know if they asked it before, but it did mention:

"Please let us know if you are in an emissions state and will need inspection testing. If you are running offroad exhaust without catalytic converters an emissions friendly tune it is not possible."
Old 01-10-2010, 10:38 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

I haven't had to take an emissions test yet with my car because I've always been under the minimum mileage. But I did get an emissions friendly tune from doug at Bama to use in the event I ever drive enough in one year to need an emission test. Hopefully you'll hear back from him and he'll send you the tune that way you do not always need to return the car to stock.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Mike521
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
Please let us know if you are in an emissions state and will need inspection testing. If you are running offroad exhaust without catalytic converters an emissions friendly tune it is not possible.
yea maybe it said that, I wouldn't have realized what it meant by reading that. I didn't know if my state was an "emissions" state until this problem turned up

Anyway I passed the 2nd inspection today so all is good. after about 70 miles of driving, 3 of the 4 O2 monitors were working and they were able to pass me even though one was off. Now I know for the future

When Bama gets back to me I'll see if they can do an emissions tune for me as well
Old 01-11-2010, 09:53 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Good to know everything worked out for you. Emissions is always a pain in the ****.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:32 PM
06GTMustang
1st Gear Member

Need some input. I have a CAI and a SCT tune with cat back exhaust. I switched out my SCT tune for the stoke tune and got LEAN 1 AND LEAN 2 codes to pop. I cleared the codes, put the SCT tune back in and so far no codes. I'm trying to get my car inspected for state (TX). Does any one else think that the codes are related to running the stock tune with the CAI? I checked for a vac leak but everything seemed tight and not cracked.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:57 PM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06GTMustang
Need some input. I have a CAI and a SCT tune with cat back exhaust. I switched out my SCT tune for the stoke tune and got LEAN 1 AND LEAN 2 codes to pop. I cleared the codes, put the SCT tune back in and so far no codes. I'm trying to get my car inspected for state (TX). Does any one else think that the codes are related to running the stock tune with the CAI? I checked for a vac leak but everything seemed tight and not cracked.
I believe you will also need to reinstall the stock air box. The stock tune using the CAI will sometimes throw the CEL. You'll also need to drive for about 50 miles as well before bringing it in.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:50 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06GTMustang
Most definately, what kind of CAI do you have?

Quick Reply: Failed emissions - O2 sensors not ready, CAI / tune problem?