Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-27-2015, 11:10 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Dealership drove my car into a pond. FMYLIFE....updated!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:02 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckydawg003
IBut if not and it can be fixed. I'd be more than happy to have MY car back. I spent a lot of time and money modifying my car the way I wanted it. I'm gonna really hate having to re mod another car.
Believe me, I think we all understand the emotional attatchment to our car, but you DO NOT want that car back. It is going to have severe mold issues, electrical issues, mechanical issues, etc... Let it go.

JD is right, you are only gonna get replacement value, so dont get your hopes up for a new GT. But hopefully they will be willing to set up a good deal on another car though.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:06 AM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

Wow that is crazy. i called my gf just to tell her about the story and she couldnt believe it. Its too bad that this had to happen. I could only begin to imagine how i would feel upon knowing that was done to my car. I'll currently have my 07 paid off in june. And like u have stated that the time u have involved in modding a car. Words cant describe how i would feel or react. Best of luck to you and ur next mod mustang.

To those people that think they should just give out a new car is ridiculous. Im sure it will be handled as a totaled car and he will be given a check for whatever the car is worth.

However i would think that something simple such as a discounted price for the rental would be a good place to start.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:25 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Since I have been told there is an appearance in a few PMs of being biased in this issue...which I don't feel I have been.... I will just remove any post I have made or responded to in this matter....

To the OP, good luck and hope things turn out well for you.

Last edited by wilkinda; 03-21-2010 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling and punctuation
Old 03-21-2010, 11:31 AM
ptaylor_9849
2nd Gear Member

I hope you (or the installer) didn't bypass anything when that remote starter was installed on your manual transmission. Otherwise, you could end up with a legal battle on your hands because they will argue that YOUR actions are responsible for this outcome because you failed to comply with the proper installation instructions of that remote starter.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:55 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wilkinda
Since I have been told there is an appearance in a few PMs of being biased in this issue...which I don't feel I have been.... I will just remove any post I have made or responded to in this matter....

To the OP, good luck and hope things turn out well for you.
Thats crap. I dont think you should delete anything. I am a firm believer in bashing companies that screw over enthusiasts. And I am also a firm believer in giving a company that makes a mistake the benefit of the doubt BEFORE everyone jumps on the bashing bandwagon.

The only thing your comments did was ask everyone to see what happens and give the dealer the opportunity to right a wrong before calling for someones head (and even offer to help the OP talk to the dealer). Nothing wrong with that.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:55 AM
mb2
2nd Gear Member

service manager would be dead
Old 03-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

This is one of life's adventures. Some day you will look back and laugh. Today isn't that day. Best of luck in getting a good settlement.

Yeah, you really don't want that car back. Then you'd have to go through life with 157db telling you that a zillion problems are because of a wet SJB.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:13 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

No flames please... I'm not taking sides here, just looking at the actual facts and events that transpired.

The dealer's insurance company will contend that if the remote start had been installed properly (only start in neutral) this iccident would not have occurred, placing the installer at fault.
My question: Why would you have a remote start installed that would allow the car to be started in gear? That's just asking for trouble in the long run.

If the installer has documentation showing you knew or requested the remote start be hooked up this way, it's coming back to you. If there is no documentation it's on the installer.

If you did the install, (which it looks like you did from your old posts) good luck fighting your insurance company. You might have a chance if there are warnings in the car and on the keys (for people that don't know the car) stating the car must be in neutral before using the remote start.

I suggest you retain an atty immediately, give him/her all the facts and see what he/she suggests.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:14 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Don't worry about having to pay for that rental car, insurance or not. When you go to pick up the rental on Monday, if they try to charge you, you say: "Really? Your service advisor drove my car into a pond, and you're going to charge ME for the rental car?" It'll work.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:50 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluovalguy
Believe me, I think we all understand the emotional attatchment to our car, but you DO NOT want that car back. It is going to have severe mold issues, electrical issues, mechanical issues, etc... Let it go.
I agree and the value of the car will take a big hit, if you ever wanted to sell or trade it in. I wouldn't keep it.

Quick Reply: Dealership drove my car into a pond. FMYLIFE....updated!!