Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustangs and snow

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:04 PM
08Steeda
3rd Gear Member

Stang No Like Snow!

Once the snow flies and salt is on the road, she is tucked away for a long winters nap. I drive a 2007 - F-150 Super Crew 4X4 as my DD.

I am thinking about putting a video projection system in the garage and putting up vid's of driving down the road in summer!!!
JK of course!!!

Stang stays in the garage all winter!
Old 08-22-2010, 07:16 PM
ColoradoCruiser

So many opinions! This will be my first winter with the 'stang, and I'm planning on parking it on the snowy days and driving the minivan (YUCK!). Luckily in Colorado we have enough sun that the snow usually melts fairly quickly so I can be back to driving the car.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:29 PM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jahudso2
For those of you who live in the north, what do you do when it snows? If you drive another car, what is your preferred car for snow driving? If you drive the stang, what tires do you use, and what other prep is necessary? Just moved to Indiana from North Carolina, and don't know what to expect for this winter.
Mustangs with LS do fine in the snow. But if you live in an area that puts salt on the roads be prepared to have pars of the car corrode like mad. Luckily Mustangs are cheap and if it gets all corroded you can get rid of it when it gets messed up and buy a new one.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:52 PM
90stang5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Did the minivan have bald tires or a new set of dedicated winter tires? If the later, then you're da' man! No offense meant, either. A bad car in the snow with good tires will usually outhandle a good car with bad tires. All I was pointing out is that the Stang can be made tolerable in snow. There are many other RWD cars that can outperform it, all other things being equal.
I didn't look at its tires, was too busy laughing, but I imagine just A/S treads. I agree with you, there are other RWD cars that do better. The more balanced ones do better, obviously. Also, the more power you have, the harder it is. I don't think I would try it if I was S/C or had really wide tires.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:32 PM
ptaylor_9849
2nd Gear Member

Stangs love the snow. You just have to break down and buy 4 good snow tires. Contrary to popular belief, it's not the aggressive tread pattern that helps in snow and ice, it's the softness of the rubber that allows the tires to grip in very cold weather. My mustang went through two brutal New England winters and did awesome wearing Michelin X-Ice2's. With 4 of those on the car, it drove like a four wheel drive. I'm not kidding!
Old 08-22-2010, 08:52 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

There is no way in h*** I'd make it to work in the mustang. I used to have a Jeep Wrangler, but now I have a Toyota Corolla XRS that I will be trying out this blizzard season.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:35 PM
onegoal
Banned

Not a huge problem living here in St. Louis because we typically don't get a lot of snow. Just one winter storm warning ALL last winter and the the year before that just one big snowstorm that dropped a foot.

Even a bad winter there are still many days and even weeks of stretches with no snow and even a few days it will get into the 70s.

Usually a big snow storm less than a week after a lot of the snow is already gone.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Shotokan1509
2nd Gear Member

4x4 Ford Ranger and awd Subaru Legacy GT

Originally Posted by 90stang5.0
NUKE, I don't mean any offense here as we all have our own opinion, but this argument never ceases to amaze me. My wife's AWD SUV will GO well in the snow, but stopping and turning is EXACTLY the same as my Mustang,
Then you are not using the awd to it's potential, in steering situations you give it some gas to pull the front in the direction you want to go. Stopping you want to be downshifting to scrub speed through 4 tires without locking them with brake bias.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:58 PM
tsquare

I have a 2007 GT Premium Convertable, I drive 65 miles each way to work. The last 2 winters I have gotten caught driving in the snow a couple of times. On the bad mornings I stay home, or leave early and work from home.

My car isn't bad in the snow, as others have said, some added weight in the trunk (I use one 70 lb. sand bag), and I have the stock Goodyears, I am planning to get new tires in October so that I have fresh tread for this winter.

Take it slow and smooth, like you are driving with a glass of wine on the dash, no sudden changes in speed or direction. And drive way ahead of your car - anticipate where you are going and what you are going to do when you get there.

One trick that no one has mentioned that I learned years ago is to turn your traction control off and use second or third gear to start, and stay one gear up from where you would be on dry pavement. The lower torque in the higher gears reduces wheel spin.

If you have a slushbox transmission, turn off the traction control, and use the hand brake to modulate power to the rear wheels against a light touch on the acclerator.

If you have never driven in snow, a good idea is to go to a large parking lot in the first snow (which is usually light and short-lived) and practice, see what happens with different acceleration, turning and braking actions, that way you will know what to expect.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:58 PM
snaf2u
2nd Gear Member

I drove in the 50`s and 60`s. We didn`t know what FWD was and there were few 4x4`s.

Everything I had was RWD but most were much heavier and with less power than the stang`s.

Either learn to drive your Stang well in snow or don`t drive it. Parking lots at night are a good place to practice. Good tires and weight in back.

I drive a Jeep Commander in the winter here.

Quick Reply: Mustangs and snow