Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand new 2011 GT and experiencing vibration at highway speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 05:06 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

umm seeing that the DS is connected to your rear end driveline its pretty easy to say that a improperly balanced DS caused your read end failure. its a huge part of the link of a complete driveline
Old 09-27-2010, 06:35 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

yeah, but it would be on the dealer to prove it caused the failure.

Say you put in a aftermarket drive shaft made for your car, balanced by a professional / reputable shop (like shaftmasters,) and installed it with the pinion angle set at Ford tollerances and you know the sound got better. Then 3 years later your rear end happened to go out, you would be protected unless Ford could somehow prove your part caused the failure. This is one of the main purpose of the law, to say that a company can not restrict a warranty to the sole use of there own parts.

that said, if you put in some hacked down ranger shaft that is way out of balance and ran it for 2 months and toasted your rear end, it would be on you.. and with good cause.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

Also SEMA is a good place to go for help if a dealer ever tries to deny claim due to a aftermarket part that you feel is not the cause.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:35 PM
chronism
2nd Gear Member

Well, I have another appointment, this time with a different dealership. We'll see what happens. What's working against me is that the vibration is so minor and hard to pick up, most of the roads around the dealerships are too rough to pick it up from the normal road vibrations and the techs don't feel anything they consider unordinary.

My big concern is speaking of what was discussed above... All this time driving around with it "out of balance" or whatever while I wait for it to be diagnosed, causing harm to my rear end, even with the minor vibration that it is.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Argetni
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chronism
Well, I have another appointment, this time with a different dealership. We'll see what happens. What's working against me is that the vibration is so minor and hard to pick up, most of the roads around the dealerships are too rough to pick it up from the normal road vibrations and the techs don't feel anything they consider unordinary.

My big concern is speaking of what was discussed above... All this time driving around with it "out of balance" or whatever while I wait for it to be diagnosed, causing harm to my rear end, even with the minor vibration that it is.
Please send me your VIN # to 2011mustangshimmy@gmail.com so I can add it to my list of complaintants. I sent you a PM or two also.

Thanks

Jordan
Old 09-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Argetni
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by randeez11
Well think I found the problem. DRIVESHAFT ! I bought and installed a new aluminum shaftmasters driveshaft an my the vibration problem is gone. The other isue though is there is a gear whine or something similar coming from the rear end at 55-75 miles per hour. I have factory 3:73 gears and other guys are also reporting this problem as well. Thre whine has been there since day one and is more noticeable now that the other problem is gone. I just cant win.
randeez please also email me your vin # to 2011mustangshimmy@gmail.com so I may add you to the list too.

Thanks

Jordan
Old 09-27-2010, 08:16 PM
sadface
2nd Gear Member

drive faster it seems like an easy fix
Old 09-28-2010, 08:19 AM
chronism
2nd Gear Member

Lol, seriously though, how long before I harm the rear end if I have to keep driving around with a minor vibration until it is resolved... If it ever gets resolved...
Old 09-28-2010, 01:42 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

theres no way of knowing for sure man. It will defiantly accelerate wear on both the rear ends seals and bearing around the pinion, and also around the rear seal in the transmission, but just how fast those go bad depend alot on how bad your driveshaft (if thats it) is. Just keep in mind, it is not designed for a slight vibration over its whole life, its designed to be perfectly balanced.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:45 AM
chronism
2nd Gear Member

Well, I might have made a little progress this morning. Took it to another dealership and took the tech for a test drive. He did in fact feel it, though he described it as more of a "shudder". His first thought was a driveshaft balance issue. I am scheduled to leave it with them Monday for them to look at, so we'll see.

Last edited by chronism; 09-29-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:24 PM
chronism
2nd Gear Member

Well, the dealership has agreed to order a new driveshaft, just have to wait for it come in and hope that eliminates the vibration. Keeping fingers crossed...

Quick Reply: Brand new 2011 GT and experiencing vibration at highway speeds...