Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand new 2011 GT and experiencing vibration at highway speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 03:49 PM
chronism
2nd Gear Member

Well, no luck on the new driveshaft. Dealership put in a new one today and called to say that it felt exactly the same. They put in a call to Ford and Ford wants them to swap the wheels/tires out with another Mustang on the lot with like wheels/tires.

I don't think that is going to matter since I have already had the wheels/tires road force balanced and rotated on top of that. And the vibration didn't change at all when the tores were rotated. If it was them, the vibration would have changed from in the seat/rear to in the steering wheel/dash, correct? Or it would change at least a little?
Old 10-12-2010, 03:54 PM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

For the sake of accuracy, make sure the donor was driven and had no vibration prior to the swap. It sounds redundent, but you never know.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:58 PM
chronism
2nd Gear Member

I honestly don't think the wheel swap is going to make a difference. My current wheels/tires were rotated and the vibration didn't change one bit front-to-back. But I'll let Ford do their troubleshooting before I take the next step. At least this dealership is trying (so far) rather than giving me the "it's normal" excuse and blowing me off...
Old 10-12-2010, 03:58 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

hey, you got them to admit there is a problem, now the hard part is going to be holding them to investigating and not finaly just saying "as intended" like Ford has done a bit lately.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I'm betting Ford will locate the root cause and it will turn out to be a motor or tranny mount. The TSB will be to replace it with a revised part number that uses a different material (stiffer) to reduce vibration or NVH...

Any other takers?

My thoughts are because the vibration is not felt in steering wheel but rather through the pedals and seat. DS swap has done nothing. Only leaves one other part(s).
Old 10-12-2010, 08:07 PM
chronism
2nd Gear Member

To be honest, I don't know how more patience I am going to have with this ordeal. This is the second time I have purchased a brand new Mustang GT in the past 4 years, the other being a 2007 and both end up having some sort of vibration issue from the factory. My first one spent it's first two months in the shop until they finally rebuilt the rear end.

To say that I have a bad taste with Ford and the Mustang is an understatement at this point.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:38 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Rear end, eh? Well, I tell you what, if the rear end is indeed at fault here, and the techs do discover that the rear diff is the culprit, you should demand that they give you a hardened bullet proof 4.10 9in rear diff!
Old 10-13-2010, 07:48 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chronism
To be honest, I don't know how more patience I am going to have with this ordeal. This is the second time I have purchased a brand new Mustang GT in the past 4 years, the other being a 2007 and both end up having some sort of vibration issue from the factory. My first one spent it's first two months in the shop until they finally rebuilt the rear end.

To say that I have a bad taste with Ford and the Mustang is an understatement at this point.

Go look under your car at your rear end. Look for two large chuncks near the ends secured with a bolt on each end. Ford actualy has a tollerance for rear end vibration and if your rear end has it they slap these weights on it and call it a day. At least that is what I was told when I went looking to see what the hell these weights were added to some rear ends but not others.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:40 AM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

My 09 GT had a similar problem of drone and slight vibrations at around 70mph (manual w/3.55) since I bought it, compared to my 07 GT which did not have the problem. I was very bothered at first but now I don't even notice it.

What I've noticed with time is that the vibration varies based on the load on the car, for example it is not as noticeable with someone else in the car, or with a large suitcase in the trunk. So maybe it can change based on the DS angle or something like that.

My dealership tried the usual tire balancing and replaced one of the tires, but that didn't change anything. I didn't want these bozos to screw up something else while trying to fix the issue (they had already left a scuff on the hood while balancing the tires), so I left it alone, planning to replace the DS someday.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:13 PM
chronism
2nd Gear Member

Well, just received the classic "come pick up your car, Ford said nothing is wrong, it is normal" message on my voicemail... If that's the case, why the heck did they go through all they went through already to this point?!?

sycd; I have noticed that the vibration seemed less when someone else is in the car as well, who knows...

I am soo fed up with this situation I'm going through again with a second Mustang, I think I am just going to take the hit and cut my losses and get rid of it. I am done with Ford once and for all.

Quick Reply: Brand new 2011 GT and experiencing vibration at highway speeds...