Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand new 2011 GT and experiencing vibration at highway speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 01:36 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Clipper
I took my 2012 GT 'vert (with about 2400 miles on it) to the dealer yesterday to have a vibration/shimmy looked at. It's done this since I picked it up but I figured it might settle down as the tires got some miles on them but it didn't.

They re-balanced the wheels but no real improvement so I did some research and came across a few threads on this issue with owners doing multiple balances, tire and wheel swaps, driveshaft work etc but nobody seems to have the solution. I read that the EPAS is suspect but nothing definitive has been determined.

I love my Mustang but this vibration is really starting to annoy me and I need to get it fixed so I'm wondering if anybody has found the solution since the last post in this thread?
Hey there,

I want to step in here and see how I can help. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll start investigating some options.

Thanks!
Crystal
Old 11-16-2012, 10:15 PM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

I took my 2012 GT 'vert (with about 2400 miles on it) to the dealer yesterday to have a vibration/shimmy looked at. It's done this since I picked it up but I figured it might settle down as the tires got some miles on them but it didn't.

They re-balanced the wheels but no real improvement so I did some research and came across a few threads on this issue with owners doing multiple balances, tire and wheel swaps, driveshaft work etc but nobody seems to have the solution. I read that the EPAS is suspect but nothing definitive has been determined.

I love my Mustang but this vibration is really starting to annoy me and I need to get it fixed so I'm wondering if anybody has found the solution since the last post in this thread?
Check the balance of the brake rotors. Since there is no vibration in the steering wheel, it would probably be the back rotors. Old Mazdas had this problem. You either had to balance the wheels on the car, or replace the rotors.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:04 AM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

Mine ended up having a really odd problem... Here's my thread on the topic: https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s...ml#post8018615. As you can see there was a problem with the carrier inside the rear differential which caused vibration from the driveline/gear set. https://mustangforums.com/forum/8018615-post25.html

It took me over a year to find it, but it was worth sticking with it. My Dad has a 2009 Shelby that had a lower frequency vibration that felt like a tire out of balance, after 5 or 6 tries and nearly selling the car he took it to a different dealership which finally found a loose TPMS sensor which was causing the vibe. Good luck and I hope you are able to figure it out soon.

TIm
Old 11-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Clipper

Thanks. I'm going to keep at this till I get it resolved. Goes back to the dealer next week. I was hoping that something definitive had come up as a result of this thread but it seems that this is a slippery problem(s?) to resolve.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Clipper

Crystal, I don't seem to be able to pm for some reason (too new?). Anyway, thanks for your offer but this is a Canadian car so not sure if you can or want to get involved. I'm going to give the dealer a chance to fix this before going up the chain but it may come to that.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:03 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Crystal, I don't seem to be able to pm for some reason (too new?). Anyway, thanks for your offer but this is a Canadian car so not sure if you can or want to get involved. I'm going to give the dealer a chance to fix this before going up the chain but it may come to that.
Hey Clipper,

I can pass your information along to my contacts at Ford Canada, or you can give them a call yourself; they can be reached at 1-800-565-3673.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm happy to see how I can help!

Crystal
Old 11-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Clipper

Thanks Crystal. We'll see what the dealer has to say this afternoon.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:28 AM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

The first time I took my Mustang to the dealer for that problem they left swirl marks on the hood, so I never took my car to a Ford dealership again after that. The problem continued with new tires, even new wheels, ran with take off GT500 wheels for a while. The idea of the rotor is a nice once, never switched rotors. I was also suspecting something to do with the rear end or driveshaft since the noise went down a bit once I installed a Roush suspension which probably modified the driveshaft angle. At the end it was not even noticing it.

I traded the Mustang since then, so no more updates from me.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:21 PM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sycd
The first time I took my Mustang to the dealer for that problem they left swirl marks on the hood, so I never took my car to a Ford dealership again after that. The problem continued with new tires, even new wheels, ran with take off GT500 wheels for a while. The idea of the rotor is a nice once, never switched rotors. I was also suspecting something to do with the rear end or driveshaft since the noise went down a bit once I installed a Roush suspension which probably modified the driveshaft angle. At the end it was not even noticing it.

I traded the Mustang since then, so no more updates from me.
+1 on the issue being drivetrain related. These cars have a lot of NVH associated with the drivetrain as evidenced by the shot in the panhard bar, soft bushings, dampeners and other features designed to minimize this. To some degree this is characteristic of the car, especially if you start to mod it and take those elements out of the equation. Mines really noisy (05-09 = lots less sound dampening) and frankly I love it that way!

Tim
Old 11-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Clipper

Problem resolved. Dealer had a road force balance done and that seems to have done the trick. No more vibration! Glad it was a simple fix and did not drag on like some of these issues have. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Brand new 2011 GT and experiencing vibration at highway speeds...