Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car shut off while driving?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

It could be water in the gas. Try adding a bottle of Iso-HEET.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:05 PM
carguygt
2nd Gear Member

As I posted, I had this happen on my 2010 gt, and after a few times of this going on, they changed my computor and it never happened again...
Old 09-21-2010, 02:52 AM
graystanggt
1st Gear Member

I had this happen to my car friday night for the first time. I was on the highway doing about 70 when all of a sudden the wrench symbol popped up and the engine stalled. I pulled over and it started right back up. Car seemed to run fine. I tried to scan for codes and it shows that there is no codes.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:35 AM
Fred Malibu
4th Gear Member

I know the apocalypse is comin soon and all, but why are everyones cars just mysteriously dying and comin back to life with no explanation?

doesnt this warrant some sort of GREATER explanation, or are all these instances separate issues??
Old 09-21-2010, 01:01 PM
graystanggt
1st Gear Member

Yeah kinda weird. I have drove this car almost everyday since new in 2007 and this is the first time ever that anything like this has happened.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:56 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fred Malibu
After driving for 2.5 hours today, I turned into my neighborhood only to notice my power steering and throttle had stopped working.. Basically, the car shut off, leaving me to brake completely, turn the car off, put the car in P, and start it up again.

This occurred right after I turned across oncoming traffic into the neighborhood, which leads me to wonder what would have happened if the car had shut off as I was making the left turn

I don't really understand how it happened, but it has me concerned. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Results why it happened?

Thanks!

FM
This sounds like what happened to me when my GF and I test drove a Kia. She has a car with a horrible monthly payment and terrible interest rate. And she wanted me to go with her to go look at Kia because they are supposedly very cheap cars.

We go to the Kia dealer and the prices of their cars were WAY over priced. $17K for a Soul, nearly $20K for a Sportage. Another Kia dealer had these very same cars for much less, around $5K - $6K less than these jokers.

So, instead of getting a Soul or a Sportage, the salesman said convinced her to look at a lesser car, a Forte. We decided to test drive it, but this P.O.S. was also way overpriced. over $16K. It was parked under a tree and birds had $#@+ all over it. Regardless, we got in and my GF was driving. We get about 2 blocks down the road from the dealership, start to turn right, and all of a sudden, the car sontaneously dies! The salesman who was in the back seat could only say was "Wow, thats weird!"

The salesman than proceeded to blame us; he said we knocked it out of gear or popped the clutch out too fast. The car was an automatic, and the gear selector was in drive and never left it. No shifting required, so my GF could not have elbowed it out of position.

The salesman also tried to say that the car is suppsed to turn the engine off if the gear is knocked out. That is BS because if you are going down the freeway and the engine dies, you lose power steering & power brakes, both which could mean life or death because you want to steer over to the shoulder and slow down to a stop.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:06 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Wink

Originally Posted by carguygt
As I posted, I had this happen on my 2010 gt, and after a few times of this going on, they changed my computor and it never happened again...
Nothing wrong w/ your 'puter, that was the MPs effing up your car with an EMP pulse to keep you from speeding on base again! J/K
Old 09-22-2010, 11:53 AM
carguygt
2nd Gear Member

LOL funny guy Jim 5.0... I got busted not speeding, but doing a burnout hahaha....
Old 09-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Fred Malibu
4th Gear Member

This thread has been jacked with kia failure and army jargon lol

I am happy to report that I have not experienced any catastrophic driving situations in the past few days, so it must have been a fluke.

I'll check back with this thread in the future if I notice anything happen again.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:11 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fred Malibu
This thread has been jacked with kia failure and army jargon lol

I am happy to report that I have not experienced any catastrophic driving situations in the past few days, so it must have been a fluke.

I'll check back with this thread in the future if I notice anything happen again.
LOL, yeah, the Kia story is kind of a thread jack, and I apologize. At least the OP had his ride for several years before it started to spontaneously turn off on him. The fail Kia from the dealer had less than 200 miles on the Odo!

Quick Reply: Car shut off while driving?!