Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To shift or not to shift

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 06:09 PM
ikemikestang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
If only these Stangs came with paddle-shift autos like some of the performance Bimmers. Those things shift better and faster than I ever could with a manual.
Ratchet with a tune isn't that bad.

*Damn double post.

Last edited by ikemikestang; 02-02-2011 at 06:13 PM. Reason: double post accident
Old 02-02-2011, 06:15 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

I used to HATE stop and go traffic... But, I've found a FUN solution.... Rap the crap out of each gear..... 1) You don't have to hardly shift.... 2) 1st gear is a BLAST at 4 grand.... 3) People stop tailgating you!!!! 4) Hardly NO one will cut you off cause (if you have loud pipes) they know you're coming up strong...

Has turned drudgery into fun times!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Mikado463
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Yeah, like watching paint dry... (oops)
it all depends on the 'auto' .......can you say Porsche PDK ? granted we are talking a totally different league here.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by skin5050
Ok, so I live in Atlanta and the traffic is horrible most every day. Recently, my work commute just changed and it takes me about 50-60 min each way to get to work. I can't move at this time. I have an 06 GT 5 speed and seriously thinking about trading her in for an automatic mustang GT. I just cannot imagine driving an automatic mustang GT, and I can't imagine it being near as fun, but my left foot is killing me everyday! Help! Should I trade my car in, or deal with the traffic mess daily?? Thanks!
I've said this on here many times... I had a 2007 GT auto with a bama race tune and CAI. I then had a 2009 manual with a Vortech blower on it... I now have a 2010 auto with a Bama race tune and CAI. I like the autos better than I did the supercharged 09 putting 400rwhp to the ground (thats a 470hp car). The auto suits this car great, but stock its a dog with terrible throttle lag. You need the aftermarket tune and its a different beast. I would wholeheartedly recommend using American Muscle / Bama, and doing a race tune on any auto stang. I've tried Brenspeed, BBR, and Bama/AM tunes in all flavors...
Old 02-03-2011, 01:45 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

i love my ratchet shifter auto!!! i thinks its bouts time for me to get a tuneeee like asappp it is long over due!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 05:21 AM
ikemikestang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08blackoutstang
i love my ratchet shifter auto!!! i thinks its bouts time for me to get a tuneeee like asappp it is long over due!!!
Makes the shifts ALOT crisper.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:07 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Just keep your distance and you should be fine. I keep at least 3 car-lengths behind the guy in front of me so I don't have to constantly slam the brakes. If it's literally stop and go (can only move a few inches at a time).. keeping a few car lengths behind is even more important. Don't bother with caring about the fools around you.. cause you are all going to get there at the same time. People think they need to be glued to the car in front of them.. and all that does.. is create traffic.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Joe in Dublin
2nd Gear Member

Give your self a bigggg space cushion between u and next car, keep it in second and just idle along, just keep that space cushion as the vehicles in front slow and speed up.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:32 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

If you really need help answering this question (that has been beat to death 1000 times already) then you should probably trade your manual shifter in for a thumb shifter that comes on a bicycle.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by skin5050
Ok, so I live in Atlanta and the traffic is horrible most every day. Recently, my work commute just changed and it takes me about 50-60 min each way to get to work. I can't move at this time. I have an 06 GT 5 speed and seriously thinking about trading her in for an automatic mustang GT. I just cannot imagine driving an automatic mustang GT, and I can't imagine it being near as fun,
You may be physically ready to go with an automatic, but you sure as hell aren't mentally ready.

I think if you were to buy an automatic Mustang today with that mindset, your overall appreciation of the car would be starting out in a hole.

but my left foot is killing me everyday! Help! Should I trade my car in, or deal with the traffic mess daily?? Thanks!
I think AzPete has the right basic tip - don't hold the clutch pedal down any longer than you have to, and don't use it any more than necessary.

You can control that part. Easing up a little as traffic ahead stops can sometimes completely avoid a clutch pedal cycle or two. Do the absolute minimum amout of slippage required to get you rolling and get your foot off that pedal. Anticipate, anticipate, anticipate, and you'll make fewer "needless" shifts. Yeah, every so often somebody will take advantage of the slightly larger gap you leave in traffic, but it won't happen as frequently as you might think.

BTW, I also saw where you might be considering a ragtop.

Norm

Quick Reply: To shift or not to shift