Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Steeda delete plates worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 03:12 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Alright thanks everyone I am just going to get them. This will probably be the last performance mod for a while. After I get my rims, I will do my roush fasica and just going to enjoy the car this spring/summer =D
I hope you don't get this too late.

Don't buy the Delete Plates. Your intake has them molded in. The 09-10 cars must buy Delete Plugs instead.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:02 AM
def67
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
I hope you don't get this too late.

Don't buy the Delete Plates. Your intake has them molded in. The 09-10 cars must buy Delete Plugs instead.
Really? Got a link to some?
Old 02-06-2011, 08:09 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gman73
I didn't notice any lose of low end power. My 60' and 330 were about the same if not a little better with the addition of delete plates.
How does that relate to LOW END power? I'm not saying that delete plates or plugs result in a loss of low end power, just that in the past some have stated so. I, personally, have not crossed delete plates off my list.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by def67
Really? Got a link to some?
Google is your friend

http://www.steeda.com/store/ford-mus...d-mustang.html
Old 02-06-2011, 10:44 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
How does that relate to LOW END power? I'm not saying that delete plates or plugs result in a loss of low end power, just that in the past some have stated so. I, personally, have not crossed delete plates off my list.
I would have thought if I did loose low end power with delete plates, then my 60' and 330' would have suffered. Also I didn't notice any lose of power anywhere in the RPM range during d/d.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

I will play dumb, what is a steeda delete and why would you want to get rid of steeda.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:41 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Recon111
I will play dumb, what is a steeda delete and why would you want to get rid of steeda.
I am in the same boat.

Exactly what is charge motion and what is the function of charge motion?
Is it an emissions function?
Old 02-06-2011, 01:19 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

There are butter fly valves in your intake manifold and the delete plates (or plugs if you have a 09 or 10) will get rid of those. I forgot exactly why they are there in the first place. I thought it was to keep the bottom end power up. The theory is if you get rid of them, more air can flow.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:51 PM
mcate
2nd Gear Member

Wasn't the "molding into the manifold" started in mid year 2009? Seems to me I heard that somewhere.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:37 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Originally Posted by yourmyboybh1026
There are butter fly valves in your intake manifold and the delete plates (or plugs if you have a 09 or 10) will get rid of those. I forgot exactly why they are there in the first place. I thought it was to keep the bottom end power up. The theory is if you get rid of them, more air can flow.
I did some quick internet research, and the charge motion control valves are little blades in the intake that add turbulence for fluid swirl in the air. These are installed for low RPM operation, the swirl helps promote a better fuel-air homogeneous mixture as the fresh fuel-air charge enters the cylinder.
This I can see hurt low end torque, which by definition of the HP formula, also hurts low RPM power as more unburnt fuel from a richer charge is spit out the exhaust to be burnt off by the cats. But a tune will naturally correct for this by adjusting for the new fuel-air ratio by either richening and leaning appropriately, and that is why you would not notice power loss at low RPM bandwidths. Or of course, there is the possibility that the power loss is so damn small that you would not notice it anyway. You would have to pit it on a dyno to actually see the gains and losses.

At high RPM, these little blades are utterly useless. High dollar supercars actually use a technique called variable length intakes, in which longer intake passageways are employed for low RPM bandwidths and the long passageways are shut off by valves and re-routed through much shorter intake passageways in high RPM bandwidths.

Quick Reply: Are Steeda delete plates worth it?