Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointed in Cai+Tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:20 AM
awsomeaussies206
2nd Gear Member

My bama tune was highly noticeable even on 89. Mines an auto, is yours? If not maybe thats why?
Old 03-11-2011, 11:37 AM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05StangZz
keep in mind it is also a 'canned' tune. To get the most out of it get to a speed shop to have your car custom tuned on a dyno. Every car is different and the canned tune will be better for some vs others.
It's a custom tune. We don't offer any "canned" tune. The last thing he wants to do is go to a local speed shop that's tuned 4 Mustangs and doesn't even have access to all of the parameters and have them butcher it. Be careful about the hype. Dyno tunes aren't going to get you any more power, be safer, or do anything better for you until you're running a supercharger. Even at that, we've tuned 600+RWHP cobras with mail-order tunes and gotten back perfect datalogs and air/fuel ratio graphs.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:47 AM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wanakanabe
Maybe my expectations were to high i dunno.I bought the Frrp Cai and Bama SCT tuner with 3 tunes,89-91 and 93 tune.So far this was the second/third upgrade,not sure the first would be considered an upgrade,SLP loudmouth axlebacks.
I first put on the 91 octane because that's what i just filled it with in anticipation for the tune.When i started it up,i thought i could feel a little better throttle response and the car rocked a bit when i revved it.On the road,not so impressed.
Well i ran the gas all out and filled up with 93 octane figuring surely this would be really noticeable,i mean people were saying i might not want to use this for daily driving.So i load it all up and it really felt kind of the same.
I'm not here to knock anything,just stating my experience on how i felt about it.I did notice some slight improvement,just not feeling so sure it was a $600 improvement.I could have bought a lot of dress up goodies for what i spent on this.
Is the tune more noticeable on an automatic since it adjusts the shift points?I could see this as a possibility to being able to really feel a difference.
Well the cai is on now and it's water under the bridge,it do look pretty though and i am loving my new to me Mustang!
Hey Mike,

Weird that you didn't feel a difference. Most of the people who purchase a CAI/Tuner combo from us are really thrilled and say it's a night/day difference. I'm having Bama take a look at your tunes and make sure that everything was done properly on our end. Can you verify that you're using the "Custom Tunes" and not the "Strategy Tunes" from the Program Vehicle menu?

Chris
Old 03-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Yes, the AM tunes are custom, not canned liked the ones that are provided by SCT. Whenever I hear those rare instances where folks are disappointed in their custom tune, I suspect they hadn't driven the car aggressively (i.e., WOT runs from a roll at 20, 40, 60 and 80 MPH to 100+ MPH, hole shots, etc plus some general "lead-footedness") IMMEDIATELY prior to installing the CAI and THEN loading the tunes and then repeating that aggressive routine immediatley AFTER the install. There's no other way to truly appreciate the change.

And if you granny drive both the stock and custom tunes, then you might as well give up your man-card.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Drive like this for a month. Then switch back to stock. That will help you respect this great upgrade. But as Nuke said, if you drive like a granny, you won't notice anything. Hell, you could stuff an SC in there and not notice it if you don't get on the gas.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:28 PM
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Yes, the AM tunes are custom, not canned liked the ones that are provided by SCT. Whenever I hear those rare instances where folks are disappointed in their custom tune, I suspect they hadn't driven the car aggressively (i.e., WOT runs from a roll at 20, 40, 60 and 80 MPH to 100+ MPH, hole shots, etc plus some general "lead-footedness") IMMEDIATELY prior to installing the CAI and THEN loading the tunes and then repeating that aggressive routine immediatley AFTER the install. There's no other way to truly appreciate the change.

And if you granny drive both the stock and custom tunes, then you might as well give up your man-card.
Lol My "Man Card" is intact!
and yes i probably will do the switch back in a month or so,hopefully all the snow and wet roads will be gone.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:30 PM
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
Hey Mike,

Weird that you didn't feel a difference. Most of the people who purchase a CAI/Tuner combo from us are really thrilled and say it's a night/day difference. I'm having Bama take a look at your tunes and make sure that everything was done properly on our end. Can you verify that you're using the "Custom Tunes" and not the "Strategy Tunes" from the Program Vehicle menu?

Chris
Yes i seen the strategy tune option come up,i think i just hit cancel at that point then it loaded the custom tune.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:34 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

i agree with the OP, had a tune and CAI on my 05 and i didn't really think the improvement was that great. the car was quicker i just expected more with how people talked it up. If you had taken my car, put the tune and CAI on it without me knowing i am not sure i would have known it was added. wasn't from AM, but form another reputable shop. the blower on the other hand...

Last edited by ShaneM; 03-11-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
Drive like this for a month. Then switch back to stock. That will help you respect this great upgrade. But as Nuke said, if you drive like a granny, you won't notice anything. Hell, you could stuff an SC in there and not notice it if you don't get on the gas.
^^^ Agreed! As I said... I really saw the difference running the stock tune for a short time after running my Brenspeed 93 tune for over 2 yrs...the car felt like a VW Bug LOL...
But no mods will help if you drive like a little girl...
Old 03-11-2011, 01:14 PM
riskyfool
1st Gear Member

With each individual addition I have done I have noticed a very definite improvement. The CAI and Bama tune was not only more powerful, it also changed the note of the car.

Gears came next and you can feel them too, but I think going to the CAI and tune from stock was a bigger kick than adding gears after the CAI and tune.

Detroit Rocker cams tuned by Bama followed that. That upgrade was similar in feel to change from stock to CAI, and once again changed the note of the car. If I had done it all at once vs stock the difference would have felt huge.

I'm still running stock exhaust. Once I upgrade to longtubes and full exhaust I should still get a little more out of all of those previous changes. I hope, anyway.

And mine is manual, not auto.

Last edited by riskyfool; 03-11-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Disappointed in Cai+Tune