Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resell Value

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 02:37 AM
musty ruffler
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
How about my LED lights? Are those a plus?
The sales pitch I'd go with here is that LED's are more efficient and basically never need to be replaced. "When I put something new in the car, I made sure it was top of the line- and if looked cool, bonus." But LED interior lights cost less than a tank of gas, so it's not really a major point either way. I might go back to stock just because uneducated purchasers might think you screwed with the electrical system somehow (see previous comments on this), plus you can probably put them in your new car.

You can spin the CAI the same way- rather than putting a cheap, unreliable air filter in every 30,000 miles, you spent more to put in a more reliable part that never needs replacing (only cleaning), and which happily also provides a performance boost.

That said, 99% of folks' eyes will cross trying to look under a hood... so as long as nothing's leaking, smoking, or rattling, nothing under there is going to be a sales pro- or con- for many buyers. Most of my friends- all smart, educated people who trust their mechanics- have never opened the hoods of their cars, ever.

And - what would convince you to buy a high mileage Mustang v6 auto? It was and is a DD Its been kept in great condition - never driven really hard
Not knowing it was being sold by a guy who describes himself as "King of the Road Rage" would be a start.

Good price, good service record, clean accident report, good price. Did I mention good price? Just be honest, ask for a fair price, and be aware that unless your name is Carroll Shelby, nobody wants to buy your creative interpretation of a perfect S197 Mustang, they just want something like the car they saw in the magazine/on the internet which they can make their own, or not, and which will get them reliably from point A to B... unless the prospective buyer is a tuner/car guy, you can smell a kindred spirit a mile away, and then just treat them like anyone here on the forum.

Currently the only mods are what are in my signature, plus a CAI, and sequential tail lights if those aren't mentioned.
The stereo is a sales point. The aesthetic stuff just let them notice on their own. If they like it, your car will be the only one that has it; if they don't care, they won't notice, and if they don't like it, they'll say something and you can explain just how easy it is to remove (or offer to do it before signing the title).

Last edited by musty ruffler; 03-15-2011 at 02:41 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:31 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Yeah. My dad actually bought his GT/CS not because he knew it was a GT/CS. Simply because he liked the way it looked a little better then the other GTs the dealer had. He didn't know until he brought it home and I told him. Most people don't know crap about cars, or mustangs, so most of the small mods you do will go unnoticed.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:30 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Mods are more for your enjoyment and pleasure. I wouldn't put anymore money into the car, knowing you are going to sell it within a year.
You purchased the CAI from Ebay, correct? If you sell the car to a person that knows a thing or two about Mustangs and modding, you may get negative feedback regarding the CAI you purchased and installed. They CAI may deter a potential buyer. I would suggest putting the stock airbox back on when selling.

Last edited by kevinmalec; 03-15-2011 at 08:37 AM.