Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running a performance air suspension setup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:27 AM
SterlingGTVert
1st Gear Member

Default Anyone running a performance air suspension setup?

This thread is not meant to be about whether or not air-ride belongs on a Mustang. If air-ride on a Mustang offends you...please move on to another thread...THANKS.

There are several quality kits now available for the 05-up Mustang. So if you have one your Mustang or have ACTUAL experience with air-ride please post your thoughts and opinions on these kits.

Here's the kits I'm looking at:

RideTech/Air Ride Technology.
http://www.ridetech.com/store/suspen...g-level-2.html

RideTech 2010 Mustang project car:
http://www.ridetech.com/garage/2010-ford-mustang/

Air Lift Suspensions:
http://shop.airliftcompany.cust.shop...ITAL_COMBO_KIT

Air Lift/TJIN edition 2011 5.0 GT for SEMA:
http://vortechsuperchargers.wordpres...-its-close-up/

Arnott Industries:
http://www.arnottairsuspension.com/p...sp?groupId=121

Not a lot of info on the Arnott kit...they do a alot of oe air-ride replacement stuff and custom air-ride for motorcycles.

All the kits have at least Digital control with preset ride heights. The Arnott kit comes standard with level sensors at all four corners that monitor ride height electronically rather than relying solely on air pressure readings.

All kits use a similar air strut up front.

For the rear...Air Lift and Arnott use the factory spring locations for the rear air springs and use traditional shocks in the factory location. The RideTech kit uses the rear shock mounts for their ShockWave which is an air spring and shock in one unit. I've been assured by a RideTech...ahh tech that the stock shock mounts are strong enough to suspend the rear of the car. They beat the crap out of that Forza Challenge Mustang and it was using ShockWaves in the rear.

The Shockwaves pushing the rear springs out to the corners would likely improve handling a good bit.

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited by SterlingGTVert; 03-28-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Jokeurmnd
2nd Gear Member

If you get any info on this can you send it my way. I have been looking for a good air suspension system but all are really pricey.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:37 PM
SterlingGTVert
1st Gear Member

The best digital kit prices I've found so far are for the AirLift kit which I've found around $2700.

Arnott is in the middle price wise(but has the high tech leveling control and wireless remotes) so you get some value there as these features, if even available on other kits, will add a good bit to the cost. I know RideTech has similar leveling tech as an option but its quite costly.

At the low end AirLift has an analog/manual kit that's around $2k with the main difference being it doesn't use their AutoPilot digital controller. You basically have manual toggle switches to control each corner.

Doing it piece meal rather than in kit form is also something I'm considering. For instance I can go with the Shockwaves from RideTech and use AirLift or even AccuAir air control components. From what I've seen most companies use ViaAir compressors for their kits. The main difference in any of these companies lies in their valves/solenoids and controllers. Of course RideTechs Shockwaves are unique as well.

AccuAir and RideTech seem to have the best rep when it comes to the electronics side. AccuAir strictly deals with the air management/electronics side...they don't offer springs or struts.

Here's AccuAir's site:
http://www.accuairsuspension.com/
Old 03-28-2011, 02:30 PM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

I got to see the airlift stuff at SEMA and it seemed top notch and the guys really knew what they were talkng about. I also know a guy on Ridetech and he is more than happy with the set up. Either way you wont be dissapointed, it just comes down to really what you want your car to do.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:22 PM
SterlingGTVert
1st Gear Member

Thanks DRock.

Well I guess it's down to those two companies now anyway as I just got an email from Arnott and it appears they are no longer doing stuff for the Mustang. I guess that explains why there's so little info on their Mustang kit.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:23 PM
tacticool

I am also looking for an air suspension! According to Airlift I need to step outside to adjust stiffness of the suspension. Only height is adjustable from their controller. Is there any kit that allows me to adjust height and firmness through a controller on the inside?

thanks,
Richard
Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 AM
SterlingGTVert
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tacticool
I am also looking for an air suspension! According to Airlift I need to step outside to adjust stiffness of the suspension. Only height is adjustable from their controller. Is there any kit that allows me to adjust height and firmness through a controller on the inside?

thanks,
Richard
Richard,

I'm not aware of such a system for air ride. Tein has the EDFC for shock adjustment on their coilovers but then you have to manually change the height of the car(takes good bit of time and effort to do so).

Since starting this thread I've bought and installed RideTech air ride on my
'10 GT vert and the front air struts use Bilstein cartridges which I'm told adjust on the fly.

My rear Shockwaves which are similar in operation to a coilover uses manual rebound adjustable Fox Racing shocks. It only takes a few seconds to jump out and adjust the Fox shocks. The **** is on the top and in my vert at least they are easy to get to.

I actually traded my Mustang off last month and I've got the air ride up for sale locally. If your interested PM me for details and/or questions.

-Ken
Old 03-06-2013, 10:27 AM
tacticool

oh thanks for the info! I unfortunately can't afford anything right now...I was planning on keeping my mustang stock for a lil while before starting to mod