Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My old man claims this......

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 02:46 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Burns331
TIRES....TIRES.... TIRES....

That is the big difference. Cars back in the late 60's and early 70's where very fast. A lot of them with 450 actual crank hp and over 500lbft tq. But poly glass tires stood no chance to hooking them up.

I have a friend that has a 1970 Buick GSX Stage 1 that he bought brand new. He used to run it at the strip all the time and used to run low 12's with drag slicks. Im not so sure he didnt get into the 11's with is cam. (He still has this car, and yes i drool everytime i see it)

Regardless
Cars today are very very fast in stock form compared to back then, but in my honest opinion its the tires that make the cars today a sure bet.
Im sure tires were a big problem back then but im wondering about there heat soak and the weight of those cars. and like another guy stated that there numbers were off a bit. and even todays way of determining the hp of a car there are two different dynos that are used and one breaks hearts an the other most people like.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norse1974
your pops is on crack & I mean that in a joking manner! lol.. Seriously though most of the muscle cars back then ran 13s & were considered quick. There were some cars like the 426 hemi cuda, the yenko 427 camaro & the 429Cobra jET Fast backs that were in the bottom 12s to high 11s depending on driver mod. However those cars were highly rare to see on the streets just like the KR GT500 Super Snake is or the Viper srt 10 or a ZR1 Corvette. Get the picture Im painting? Todays Mustangs are mid 12 cars to bottom 13s if your not a decent driver. Your Pops is just reliving his glory days. Nothing wrong with that. lol
^ he's right. As much as I love classic muscle, technology as come so far since then. Back then 300hp was considered a lot, nowadays it's not enough
Old 05-26-2011, 04:03 PM
dennisafrompa
1st Gear Member

I'm 68 and I can tell you today's cars for the most part are faster and better. A few AFX type factory cars may have been fast but those sold to general public off the lot were NOT!

...and they were not pleasant to smell spewing fumes and polution all over. The smell of gas was sometimes quite noticeable in those 4 bbl carburated vihicles.

The old days just seemed better to us geezers 'cause we were younger.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

For the most part, your Dad is wrong. Today's cars are faster and handle so much better than the cars of his day. I know this, because I am 65 years old. I lived through those days. I had a '69 Z-28 with factory 4:11 gears, as well as a '78 Trans Am with the TA Special engine in it and my '06 GT, in mostly stock condition, would run off and hide from either of those cars. We won't even talk about handling. Some of those classics are pretty cool, but I'll take the modern Hot Rods any time. They kick *** on regular gas and get 18 MPG.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:15 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

A lot of old people say cars in the '50s and '60s were safer, too.

[youtube]YHp1GAFQzto[/youtube]
Old 05-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
So my old man claims that the vehicles in his day would run the 1/4 faster than todays vehicles. Of course IM talking modded gt's and so on. He claims that his GTO would be much quicker than my vehicle which has a supercharger and gears. I think the only thing he ever talked about doing to his car was exhaust, 4 barrel carb, then of course the gear sequence in an H patern. I just cant imagine that a car like that would be able to beat a car like mine in the 1/4. Of course you have the drive mod but it sure would be interesting to see.

So back in the 60's and 70's what was considered a fast 1/4. My dad only street raced and never went to the track so he doesnt really know what he ran. I was just wondering what ur thoughts are on this subject. I have heard that if a guy ran 13 then that was considered fast during those times where I believe a fast street car now days is 11 second range.

Whats ur thoughts
We're talking about stock vs stock right? If so, your old man is still stuck in the 60's and never left it. A 2006 GTO would beat any of the GTO's that came out of your pop's era.

Today's 5.0 Coyote Mustang is quicker than any of the GT Mustang's that came out in the 60's. Today's Shelby GT500 is quicker than the GT500's of the 60's. LS1 Camaro's today are quicker than any factory Camaro in the 60's. The 427 Yenko's and COPO ones don't count either unless you want to compare today's tuner cars.

Yes, your dad is definitely stuck in the 60's. Your dad would have a heart attack if he saw what an SRT4 Neon or EVO would do to more than half of the cars during the 60's musclecar era.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:31 PM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

I hate to admit it but in stock form todays modern cars are faster. You go to the Drags today and the only way classics beat new cars is because they are super modified.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:41 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Today ftw
Old 05-26-2011, 06:51 PM
TAMPAGT07
2nd Gear Member

Let's see:
1965 Shelby Cobra 427 S/C 0-60 mph 4.5 Quarter mile 12.5
2011 Ford GT500 Shelby Mustang 0-60 mph 4.0 Quarter Mile 12.2

I'd take the 65' all day long, even though it's a few seconds slower..
Old 05-26-2011, 07:02 PM
JimC

I grew up in the era of muscle cars - got my license in 1969 when I turned 16 and I always thought what we grew up with was quick. The typical muscle car in the 60's and 70's seemed quick - but compared to today's car there is a big difference. A late 60's GTO was considered to be very quick, but they were running 14's - quick for the day but today's cars are quicker.

Talking with a friend about his Shelby GT350 he was saying how it felt quick - and how stoked he was to finally get it to break into the 14's and he was considered to be one of the quickest cars at the track. A GT Mustang is running 13's, and the new 5.0 can run in the 12's right off the truck. One of my friends had a 1969 Mustang, bored, stroked, HUGE Holley 4 barrel with dual gas feeds, head and cam work - and we were lucky to get it in the low 14's. Seemed really quick at the time and in comparison it was.

Quick Reply: My old man claims this......