Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 Premium with Performance Package question????

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
And please everyone, do not take this the wrong way (as i'm sure some will) but no V6 will ever drive like a V8. Take it for what it is and love what you have.
Yeah, my V6 actually "drives" much better than most V8s. Just saying...
Of course some of us will take a statement like that wrong way. Because it is wrong!
Old 06-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Nice Pony
Yeah, my V6 actually "drives" much better than most V8s. Just saying...
Of course some of us will take a statement like that wrong way. Because it is wrong!
Your 06 is not stock though.
It sounds like you are comparing it to most stock V8's.

Now take your mods and throw them on a V8... how are you going to say this with legitimacy?
Old 06-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Your 06 is not stock though.
It sounds like you are comparing it to most stock V8's.

Now take your mods and throw them on a V8... how are you going to say this with legitimacy?
Not the point at all. Point is my highly modified V6 will and does outperform stock V8s and mildly modified V8s in all aspects. Sure you can add the same mods to a V8 but the vast majority of people will never do that just as the vast majority of V6 guys will never mod the motor. Also don't forget you have to add mods to the V8 on top of the higher cost of the GT. I simply pointed out that the statement "no V6 will ever drive like a V8" is misleading and inaccurate. Nothing more nothing less. The new 3.7 V6 will also outperform plenty of V8 offerings form other manufactures just as it sits. It's not a matter of what can be potentially done it is a matter of what you actually do. In my case I like the thrift of a modified V6 and the fun of knowing it will outperform most GTs on the road no problem at all and is also unique and not just any other Mustang on the road. I personally don't need a 500-800HP Mustang as most people don't but the stock 4.0 definitely needs some help to wake it up which I provided it. The new 3.7 V6 is not bad right out of the box and would keep most people happy as far as performance is concerned. If someone really thinks they need a 412HP Mustang, which buy the way isn't a lot more than my 4.0 is running, with potential for probably more then double that than by all means a new 5.0 would be the way to go. Just not my cup of tea. But there is no reason to hate on the V6 Mustang. They certainly have plenty of potential to make them real performers regardless of what the GT crowd thinks. Happy Mustanging!
Old 06-22-2011, 08:20 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Lets not all end up getting this poor guys thread locked over V6/V8 debates
Old 06-22-2011, 08:59 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

I'll give you the flip side. I bought a V6 Base model last month, shrugging off the premium and performance packages for the lower sticker price. Regrets? Sure.

I would have spent another $6k for the premium, a couple more on that for a performance package. Worth the money for what's included, for sure. Now did I really miss out? Not much. I did the springs for under $200, I don't care for the premium stereo, navigation or the My Color gauges, etc. What I do plan to add, bridging the gap, are a set of sway bars $300, a 6 gauge cluster $200 (not for color but for extra gauges), My already added my Droid mobile dock which incorporates the bluetooth for me $35, fog lights $350, gears $50 (I have a hookup), anything else???

So I figure I'll spend $1100-$1200 for the things I want. That's a far cry from the $6k-$8k for the loaded V6 Coupe. My payment is well under $400 a month and I'm not leasing it.
I like the bare essentials and it looks like I saved 200-300 lbs on the loaded coupe. That means I ride for free in a drag race. I'm happy with the car I bought. I had a Race Red 101A spec car pulled in from another city for the 17" wheels and the spoiler. I didn't want the larger wheels because I am kinda old school (over 40) and I like the vintage muscle car look better than modern road carver. I peeled off the stripes and had the hood blacked out. I blacked out the deck lid and have plans for graphics that throw back to George Follmer's #16 of the 1970 Trans-Am season.

Should you buy the premium package? If you don't want to mess with fixing it up like I do for fun, sure. It's a nice package. If you need to get by on the cheap, maybe go the way I did.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Not the point at all. Point is my highly modified V6 will and does outperform stock V8s and mildly modified V8s in all aspects. Sure you can add the same mods to a V8 but the vast majority of people will never do that just as the vast majority of V6 guys will never mod the motor. Also don't forget you have to add mods to the V8 on top of the higher cost of the GT. I simply pointed out that the statement "no V6 will ever drive like a V8" is misleading and inaccurate. Nothing more nothing less. The new 3.7 V6 will also outperform plenty of V8 offerings form other manufactures just as it sits. It's not a matter of what can be potentially done it is a matter of what you actually do. In my case I like the thrift of a modified V6 and the fun of knowing it will outperform most GTs on the road no problem at all and is also unique and not just any other Mustang on the road. I personally don't need a 500-800HP Mustang as most people don't but the stock 4.0 definitely needs some help to wake it up which I provided it. The new 3.7 V6 is not bad right out of the box and would keep most people happy as far as performance is concerned. If someone really thinks they need a 412HP Mustang, which buy the way isn't a lot more than my 4.0 is running, with potential for probably more then double that than by all means a new 5.0 would be the way to go. Just not my cup of tea. But there is no reason to hate on the V6 Mustang. They certainly have plenty of potential to make them real performers regardless of what the GT crowd thinks. Happy Mustanging!
I think you are underestimating how many people mod their GT's.
The Mustang GT is one of the most modified cars there are out there.
Your "but most people dont mod their GT's" can be said the same for the V6.

So your highly modified sixxer will our perform a non modified GT?
So what? That is news to no one. It still does not mean the GT is less of a buy or anything. I don't hate the sixxer. I don't see why you think that if you do or where I implied that. The sixxer is what made the GT what it is today. Of course there is room to make them great cars. They already are. But they are not as great of a car as the GT is and that is pretty much the end of the story.

Yes the GT costs more even if it is not modded and your sixxer is. But the GT also has MORE room for improvement and you can take it further than the sixxer. You cannot forget that.

I have NO hate for the sixxer and I think it is a great car.
I have always defended the sixxer against haters.
But modding your V6 takes you comparing it to a stock eight cylinder out of the mix in all fairness. Stock is stock and modded is modded.

Just like when I had my 06GT. I could not argue that the GT500 was a better car. Just like I cannot argue that the new GT500 is a better built car even though I do not care for the body style as much as the 07-09 GT500. Yeah I can take it and mod it and say it is better than a new one for less but that does not make it better than a 12 GT500 build wise. The new one is a better build out of the box build wise end of story. Comparing a modded used one to a stock new one is not fair. Plain and simple. Just like taking a highly modified sixxer and saying "Oh it's therefore better than a GT" is unfair and untrue.

The sixxer is great but the V8 is superior.
That's just the way it is.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 06-22-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

OK you win.

My modified sixer is nothing more that an abomination and unworthy of it's "rental car" heritage as put but another GT owner recently.

To the OP. Get a 5.0 or you will not be happy.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:30 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

@BlackSmoke: LOL at Padawan. Hopefully I don't turn out to be a Mustang Sith Lord, lol...And I've also been on line looking at some older GT500's (checking on any models between 2008-2010). But if I go that route then I will buy from a U.S. dealer back in the States and wait until my tour in AFghanistan and tour in Germany is over with (I should be back in the States by November 2012, but that's a long wait and if i had it my way i want my mustang now and i will drive it all over Afghanistan, LOL)...

@Nice Pony, I do agree that the V6 is a pretty good package. And from my perspective, and with my extremely limited knowledge on Mustangs (and cars in general) I see that the new V6 has some kick as well.

@Scottybaccus: Thanks for the input. Yeah, I'm trying to keep my payments withing the $300-$400 a month price range.

Overall, I see both the V6/V8 are doing well. And I guess to each his/her own on which ever Mustang they have. Though I see some prefer one over the other, one thing for certain people who have the V6 and those who have the V8 seem to be very pleased with the one they've picked and purchase..

Thanks
Old 06-23-2011, 06:23 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by pdonket
Lets not all end up getting this poor guys thread locked over V6/V8 debates
No, I'll edit a few posts so the OP can enjoy his membership.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:33 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

OK you win.

My modified sixer is nothing more that an abomination and unworthy of it's "rental car" heritage as put but another GT owner recently.

To the OP. Get a 5.0 or you will not be happy.
But, but! I thought it was a secretary's car??
Don't sweat it man, most of us know you have an awesome sixxer...
One's would have to be dumb not to recognize that.

When it comes to go fast, I actually respect V6 owners more because they're starting with a lesser performance platform and thus, making it a more challenging task.

Blacksmoke, you know better...
While you are right, you put it out of context because it's obvious that NicePony meant "You can make a V6 just as good or better than a stock GT".

You guys knock it off now.

Quick Reply: V6 Premium with Performance Package question????