Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.6 Engine, 5-speed tranny, 5k miles on it for $1.8k?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 07:19 AM
MustangMan1718
1st Gear Member

Default 4.6 Engine, 5-speed tranny, 5k miles on it for $1.8k?

I've been watching this on Craigslist over the past few months and his asking price has been dropping slowly. He says he also has all the receipts for it as well as the wiring harnesses. From what I can tell, it seems like it pretty much everything needed except for engine mounts.

I know that it's usually not worth it to swap in a v8 into a v6, but it does seem appealing to basically have a brand new car due to the low mileage. I also know that I would need more parts than this. From what I can think of, I would need a new driveshaft and an 8.8 rearend. It would probably be a good idea to get takeoff GT suspension parts as well due to the added weight up front.

I know I'm most likely not going to to take it up (especially after watching all the hassle my buddy ran into with swapping his RB20DET into his 240SX) but does this also fall into "too good to be true" territory? I also noticed that he never mentioned if it ran or anything.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:49 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Looks like a hell of a deal I would look further into it and ask questions!
Old 07-04-2011, 06:38 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Ask many more questions
That 5k miles could be hard drag strip miles which is equivalent to 100k DD miles.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:41 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Yeah, get the accurate history of the setup; he may have had it for 5k miles in his car or something. Being a '05, it likely has more than 5k miles.
Also, check the dispstick, make sure it has oil and it's not rusty nor milkey. Take a 18mm socket on a breaker bar and turn the motor over a few times, make sure it turns and is smooth. Find out where it was stored, indoors or out (outdoor storage could get water inside the engine). Make sure all accesories are with it, too (alternator, a/c, p/s, etc.)

And, you could probably get it for $1500-1600 with cash in hand, after looking it over.
Otherwise, the price is not unreasonable nor that uncommon.

The swap is actually very easy, as the car is built to hold that engine, so nothing tricky about taking out the v6 and putting in a v8. Your v6 suspension will work just fine (the v8 is not that much heaver than the v6).
But you will need a GT manual PCM to go along with it (if not included), and a few lines (fuel, power steering, a/c), and exhaust.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:00 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Also, I'd never buy an engine that I can't hear running first, unless there is some kind of warranty with it.
Even then, I still don't like it.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:52 PM
MustangMan1718
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
Yeah, get the accurate history of the setup; he may have had it for 5k miles in his car or something. Being a '05, it likely has more than 5k miles.
Also, check the dispstick, make sure it has oil and it's not rusty nor milkey. Take a 18mm socket on a breaker bar and turn the motor over a few times, make sure it turns and is smooth. Find out where it was stored, indoors or out (outdoor storage could get water inside the engine). Make sure all accesories are with it, too (alternator, a/c, p/s, etc.)

And, you could probably get it for $1500-1600 with cash in hand, after looking it over.
Otherwise, the price is not unreasonable nor that uncommon.

The swap is actually very easy, as the car is built to hold that engine, so nothing tricky about taking out the v6 and putting in a v8. Your v6 suspension will work just fine (the v8 is not that much heaver than the v6).
But you will need a GT manual PCM to go along with it (if not included), and a few lines (fuel, power steering, a/c), and exhaust.
Very good information here! Thank you very much. I know a bunch of basic things to look for as I work in an oil change place, but there are still other things I wouldn't have considered.

The first example of this being that I didn't mentally take into account that it was actually a manual transmission and that it would need it's own PCM for that. For some strange reason I drew a parallel that my v6 is an automatic, which uses the GT transmission, which would be the same as in my car. I didn't take into account that 5-speed didn't mean that it have 5 "gears" (extreme blonde moment on my part) or that it would need a completely different one as it is connected to a whole different engine.

Also, I didn't know this was actually that common of a deal either. The $4k price tag he talks about buying it for slapped me across the face with "value". And since I haven't seen another thing like this going for sale, I just figured it was "correct." But I'm the type of person that loves to do research on every little detail about something before I even think of purchasing anything.

This is also tied into me being a college student and rapidly coming up my final semester in the Spring where it is extremely recommended that I don't work at all during my student teaching as that is a full-time job in itself. Especially now that I know I will be placed in an Honors Freshman class at the very rich but very strict school district the next town over. All my money is currently being saved up so I can continue running my 93 tune for those 4 months that I won't be working, but this deal still seemed very tempting.