Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best radar/ laser/ general speeding ticket avoiding tech

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 12:42 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Default Best radar/ laser/ general speeding ticket avoiding tech

What is the best radar/ laser/ cop detecting apparatus? BC lets be real, if ur a member here, you probably dont have all that high a respect for speed limits XD
Old 07-15-2011, 12:44 AM
kput
4th Gear Member

Drive slow. ^-^

haha no I'd like to know as well,
although I'd like to know what's the smallest/most hidden type you can get. I don't like the bulky crap hanging from my windshield.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stags
What is the best radar/ laser/ cop detecting apparatus? BC lets be real, if ur a member here, you probably dont have all that high a respect for speed limits XD
The county sheriff has an 07 GT/CS and him and I were talking about all the speeding we've done.

I say that Cobra brand is the best - but - also - know how to spot a cop.

A CB antenna is a dead giveaway. Never speed by a car on the side of the road without its hazards on. Know how to tell the difference between a crown Victoria and other VERY similar cars. Try to see in the window and look for a laptop. NEVER speed through an intersection when you have a green light. In the case of Mustang and Camaro cops - look for a light bar in the top and the flashers in the rear windscreen.

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:06 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Actually we do.
Especially in high traffic areas.
Now... we don't think there is really anything wrong with giving her some gas an opening her up on a clear open highway every once in a while!

Most of us really do try to respect speed limits in town and drive safe. Many of us do speed a few mi. over the speed limit but not crazy high.
This is not a forum of a bunch of ignorant street racing teenagers that just make the roads unsafe for everyone and don't give a crap about anyone else but
ourselves.

But a mature driver knows like I said an open highway is the place to get on her a little if you are going to.

I actually can't chime in on the best radar decector. I had one years ago but I find that it had me speeding more than I should and as I kinda realized that I realized it was better, at least for me... to use my thinking to ask myself is this a good place to speed?

Also like I said it had me speeding ALL the time on the open road. And often I would even speed JUST to make sure the radar dectector worked well haha.

Speeding to an extent where it is not a threat to others and is not a REALLY far amount above the speed limit is fine. Even if you do it all the time. Heck the penalty of a ticket is a risk you take.

But speeding crazy high speeds costs every American money when it turns into a disastrous wreck. It also hurts those you love who would miss you dearly.
Speeding in traffic more than a few mi. over the speed limit can be dangerous to others. And that especially is crossing the line and really not only immature, but just ignorant.

As far as the racing... save it for the track where it belongs.

Ok enough of that haha.
Wish I could help you on the good brands. Someone will chime in though.
But man please take the words I wrote seriously. For everyone's sake as well as your own.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 07-15-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:14 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

What is the best radar/ laser/ cop detecting apparatus?
[youtube]DvZwPpZYwJY[/youtube]

and this..

and if you can afford it..this. Depending on how much you "can't drive 55" ...it just might be worthwhile.

Last edited by wayne613; 07-15-2011 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:29 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

I'm not what anyone would call a huge speeder. I mostly keep up with the average traffic flow on the highway. I have had a Valentine1 for many years (well before my current Pony). Performance has been flawless, and the directional indication is HUGE in cluing you in to what's actually going on around you.

I had a case on a long road trip, where a state cop in the Midwest was hanging way back, and zapping me with instant on bursts every 2-3 minutes. This was at 2:30am, with almost no other vehicles on the highway. This went on for more than 1/2 an hour. He was just waiting for me to slip just a couple MPH over the limit, because the traffic flow was light so there were not many potential "customers", and it was near the end of the month, meaning he probably had quota to fill.

With the V1 able to indicate the direction all the hits were coming from, it was easy to figure out what was going on, and take appropriate measures (in this case setting the cruise for 1 MPH below the posted)
Old 07-15-2011, 05:49 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Passport 9500ci - radar detector integrated with a laser jammer. If you don't need the laser jammer, just get the 9500i. I have it and it is much better than the V1 since you can mark false alarms to prevent your detector from going off every time you go by CVS
Old 07-15-2011, 06:35 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

idiot

try the grey matter between your auditory flaps, and the 2 ocular devices slightly forward and inset of said grey matter.

just because the car is capable of going fast, it doesn't mean you should drive accordingly
Old 07-15-2011, 07:28 AM
04NGTMARE
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
idiot

try the grey matter between your auditory flaps, and the 2 ocular devices slightly forward and inset of said grey matter.

just because the car is capable of going fast, it doesn't mean you should drive accordingly

I believe he was kidding around. Name calling forum that way --->
Old 07-15-2011, 07:39 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Uh-oh. Sounds like another one of our younger members just got busted for more than 5 over . . .

Being an car enthusiast in general or a Mustang enthusiast in particular does not mean you have to speed or hold little respect for posted limits. Don't assume that others disrespect the same things that you don't have much respect for (yet).

If you're lucky, you'll either outgrow the need to show the car's speed capability off, or at least get better at picking where, when, how much over, and for how long.

If you're stubborn, even the best detecting apparatus won't save you every time.

Get an SA-rated helmet and take any urge for serious speeding to the track. And I don't mean just the dragstrip where for your sixxer it'll be 14 seconds and done. Take in a road course HPDE/track day, or even an autocross (noting that M-rated helmets are OK at most autocrosses).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-15-2011 at 07:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Best radar/ laser/ general speeding ticket avoiding tech