Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Any way to "cheat" inspection?

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #41
05xrunner
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT Premium
Location: PA
Posts: 1,269
Default

I had the reverse issue..I asked them about them being turned off and they told me they turn them off by default. So I put my O/R H pipe on and it kicked a code for rear o2..I had to pay $10 for a update tune to have the rear turned off.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
__________________

GT500 spoiler:J&M Lower control arms:Roush side splitters:Roush axle backs:Custom oil separator:20% tint:Energy Suspension shifter bushing:Whiteline trans bushing
05xrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #42
autos221
2nd Gear Member
 
autos221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 09 GT
Location: ny
Posts: 212
Default

Go to a broke *** shop and slip the guy an extra 50
autos221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #43
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member
 
Rocket Ray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 07 mustang GT
Location: NY
Posts: 174
Default

I don't have a laptop, although I would like to know how to be able to datalog, supposedly you can send the data to your tuner to have your tune tweaked.

I still think photoshopping inspection sticker is the way to go.
Rocket Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #44
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member
 
siggyfreud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2013 Boss 302
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,647
Default

Not sure how it is in NY, but here we don't get our inspections done by independent shops. The Department of Environmental Quality plugs in the car, runs the scan, and then passes the results on to the DMV. Hard to cheat that system.
__________________
max sig size 500px wide X 250px high. Thank you, Admin.
What to do with a blown motor - Check it out.
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:22 AM   #45
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 2010 mustang gt
Location: Not sure
Posts: 1,724
Default

Its not even that I can slip the guy money cause I definitely would instead of dealing with this crap. They hook up to the OBDII port and all info directly goes to the DMV. If you fail it wont print the sticker. The only way it prints the sticker is if your car passes. I can go down and see if maybe they could use another car and just put the sticker on mine but there is a barcode on top of the sticker and than it wont match my car
__________________

2012 Race Red GT/CS - Auto, Comfort package, AED 93 Tune, Steeda CAI, Pypes LT Headers, O/R X Pipe, Borla S Type's, Cervini Cobra R Hood, Roush Side Splitters, Boss 302 Splitter, 6000k Retro Soultion HID's, FRPP K Springs, BMR Panhard Bar, BMR Lca's, BMR Relo's, TSW Nurburgrings, Nitto NT555's, 5% Tint All Around, 35% Windshield Tint

2012 Ford Fusion SEL v6 --- DD, Loaded, 5% Tint
grabber blue gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:16 AM   #46
mobydick
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location:
Posts: 310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabber blue gt View Post
Well I have been on this long debate on whether I should remove my headers or not, and Jim Jr. a JDM suggests it would be better to just put the stock system back on, as they have had problems even with metallic cats not passing. I am from new york and here they do a check through the OBDII port instead of a tail pipe sniffer. I am not sure 100% how this works, but I believe it checks to make sure all the 02 sensors are working properly and making sure your car isnt throwing any codes.... any suggestions on how to pass or even if I find someone to "help me out" will he actually be able to pass me?
Easiest way! Move your place of Residence to an area that doesn't do emissions checks!
__________________
2007 Shelby GT500 Vert, Performance White, -Mods- AR LT Headers, 3" Catless X Pipe, Full 3" Exhaust 2.6 Pulley and Idler, JLT Intake Evolution Stage 4 Tune, AFCO Intercooler, BMR Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft, Steeda UCA & LCAs. 1:3.73s
mobydick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #47
HenryinFlorida
1st Gear Member
 
HenryinFlorida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Vehicle: 2008 Ford Mustang V6
Location: Florida
Posts: 113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabber blue gt View Post
Its not even that I can slip the guy money cause I definitely would instead of dealing with this crap. They hook up to the OBDII port and all info directly goes to the DMV. If you fail it wont print the sticker. The only way it prints the sticker is if your car passes. I can go down and see if maybe they could use another car and just put the sticker on mine but there is a barcode on top of the sticker and than it wont match my car
I used to live in Calif and back them they could hook it up to their machine and do a check before doing an actual test for the DMV.
HenryinFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #48
06stangGT
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 2006, GT Mustang
Location: NY
Posts: 1,042
Send a message via AIM to 06stangGT
Default

I've been trying to deal with this problem for 3 years now. I don't have headers. I have CAI , pulleys, pypes o/r H pipe.. currently I have brenspeeds tune with the rear o2s turned off. every year I have to take out the off road H pipe and install the factory pipe with cats. I have to load the emissions tune from them with the rear o2s turned on, drive it for 20-40 miles (depending on if you know how to do this) to reset all the monitors. once everything is in the ready state I have my tech inspect it, re install the off road pipe, re tune it.
I have non foulers installed. Purchased from brenspeed, and it still does not work. Now I do NOT have high flow cats installed. perhaps installing high flows from brenspeed into the off road pipe AND having the non foulers, is the next step to take without having to uninstall and reinstall the off road pipe each year
06stangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #49
S197GT07
5th Gear Member
 
S197GT07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Mass
Posts: 2,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06stangGT View Post
I've been trying to deal with this problem for 3 years now. I don't have headers. I have CAI , pulleys, pypes o/r H pipe.. currently I have brenspeeds tune with the rear o2s turned off. every year I have to take out the off road H pipe and install the factory pipe with cats. I have to load the emissions tune from them with the rear o2s turned on, drive it for 20-40 miles (depending on if you know how to do this) to reset all the monitors. once everything is in the ready state I have my tech inspect it, re install the off road pipe, re tune it.
I have non foulers installed. Purchased from brenspeed, and it still does not work. Now I do NOT have high flow cats installed. perhaps installing high flows from brenspeed into the off road pipe AND having the non foulers, is the next step to take without having to uninstall and reinstall the off road pipe each year
Or you can find a tuner that knows what they are doing(when it comes to this sort of thing, not saying Brenspeed isn't good, but this isn't a new issue).

I've been catless for 2 years and have passed MA inspection both times. It requires the OBDII readiness check as well.
__________________
07 GT-Stick-Vert
|Stingers|JPC Resonators|ARH + O/R H|
|CMDP|Intake|Dyno Tune|WOTBOX|
305rwhp 322rwtq

For sale - GT500 H/E|GT500 Rails|GT500 Steering Wheel|Entire Car!|
S197GT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #50
debit_free_2010
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Vehicle: 2010, Ford, Mustang GT
Location: NC
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06stangGT View Post
I've been trying to deal with this problem for 3 years now. I don't have headers. I have CAI , pulleys, pypes o/r H pipe.. currently I have brenspeeds tune with the rear o2s turned off. every year I have to take out the off road H pipe and install the factory pipe with cats. I have to load the emissions tune from them with the rear o2s turned on, drive it for 20-40 miles (depending on if you know how to do this) to reset all the monitors. once everything is in the ready state I have my tech inspect it, re install the off road pipe, re tune it.
I have non foulers installed. Purchased from brenspeed, and it still does not work. Now I do NOT have high flow cats installed. perhaps installing high flows from brenspeed into the off road pipe AND having the non foulers, is the next step to take without having to uninstall and reinstall the off road pipe each year

The surest way to prevent your failing for not ready O2 sensors is to have your tuner write them out of your tune.

I'm running an O/R X pipe and my I/M monitors are written out of my tune. When they plug the OBD2 reader in my catalyst status reads not supported and my inspection report sez passed.

Without cats you'll fail the visual so you'll need a shop that'll pass you and wont question why your monitors are NA.

The non fouler trick doesn't work as well on the S197 cars without making some tweaks to your tune to change O2 transport delay and heater duty cycle.
debit_free_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #51
timmbo
3rd Gear Member
 
timmbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Location: TN
Posts: 671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06stangGT View Post
I've been trying to deal with this problem for 3 years now. I don't have headers. I have CAI , pulleys, pypes o/r H pipe.. currently I have brenspeeds tune with the rear o2s turned off. every year I have to take out the off road H pipe and install the factory pipe with cats. I have to load the emissions tune from them with the rear o2s turned on, drive it for 20-40 miles (depending on if you know how to do this) to reset all the monitors. once everything is in the ready state I have my tech inspect it, re install the off road pipe, re tune it.
I have non foulers installed. Purchased from brenspeed, and it still does not work. Now I do NOT have high flow cats installed. perhaps installing high flows from brenspeed into the off road pipe AND having the non foulers, is the next step to take without having to uninstall and reinstall the off road pipe each year
I have Pypes headers with Pypes hi flow cats and also use the non foulers on the cats O2 ports. I load up Brenspeeds emissions tune and I pass with flying colors every time. IMO, you shouldn't need non foulers on the stock Ford cat pipe. The non foulers are used mostly for those of us with headers and hi flow cats. You should pull those anti foulers out, disconnect the battery to reset the computer and start your drive cycle over again. I bought a cheap Actron 9125 code reader that displays monitor readiness status and displays all the monitors which have or have not completed their cycle. Worth every dime. Will save you multiple trips to the test center.
__________________


2006 GT Convertible - 29k mi - B326 Stroker - FRPP Hot Rod Cams - Brenspeed Tune - FRPP 4.10s -Pypes Headers/Off Road H - Borla Stinger Axlebacks - Hurst Billet Comp Shifter - Shaftmasters Alum Driveshaft - Roush Rear Springs - Me? I'm a ASE Master Truck and Auto Tech *Daily beater- 94' Toyota Xtra cab 2wd Orig owner. 250k mi*
timmbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #52
doofoo
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7
Default

LOL - Kinda funny to read all the issues people are having here..

I had a 01 Lightning fully built engine/trans around 600WHP - No cats, longtube headers, whipple 2.3l s/c, sounded like a nascar. I took it in for inspection, they plugged in the OBD2 port - Done! Passed!

Are you guys really pulling all your stuff off to go through emissions?
__________________
Current: 2013 Mustang GT Base (Black, M6, 301A, Track Package, Recaros) Coming: Steeda Sport Springs, Barton SSK+Bracket, GT500 AB - 2010 VW Tiguan (4-Mo, APR Chip), 95 BMW M3
Previous: 01 BMW 325Ci ESS SC, 03 Merc C32 AMG, 01 Lightning 600+WHP, 2009 VW Jetta TDI, 2011 CBR1000RR
doofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #53
S197GT07
5th Gear Member
 
S197GT07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Mass
Posts: 2,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doofoo View Post
LOL - Kinda funny to read all the issues people are having here..

I had a 01 Lightning fully built engine/trans around 600WHP - No cats, longtube headers, whipple 2.3l s/c, sounded like a nascar. I took it in for inspection, they plugged in the OBD2 port - Done! Passed!

Are you guys really pulling all your stuff off to go through emissions?
Most do swap midpipes and tunes come emission time.

What state did you have that Lightning in?
__________________
07 GT-Stick-Vert
|Stingers|JPC Resonators|ARH + O/R H|
|CMDP|Intake|Dyno Tune|WOTBOX|
305rwhp 322rwtq

For sale - GT500 H/E|GT500 Rails|GT500 Steering Wheel|Entire Car!|
S197GT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #54
06stangGT
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 2006, GT Mustang
Location: NY
Posts: 1,042
Send a message via AIM to 06stangGT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by debit_free_2010 View Post
The surest way to prevent your failing for not ready O2 sensors is to have your tuner write them out of your tune.

I'm running an O/R X pipe and my I/M monitors are written out of my tune. When they plug the OBD2 reader in my catalyst status reads not supported and my inspection report sez passed.

Without cats you'll fail the visual so you'll need a shop that'll pass you and wont question why your monitors are NA.

The non fouler trick doesn't work as well on the S197 cars without making some tweaks to your tune to change O2 transport delay and heater duty cycle.
My tech looks pass the "visual problem" but the things Ive tried and the reputable tuning shops Ive gotten ahold of lead me to believe its nearly impossible with the S197 in NY. One shop I called in PA said they could take care of it no problem, once I said I live in NY, he said "no guarantees to pass there."
__________________
06stangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #55
06stangGT
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 2006, GT Mustang
Location: NY
Posts: 1,042
Send a message via AIM to 06stangGT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmbo View Post
IMO, you shouldn't need non foulers on the stock Ford cat pipe. The non foulers are used mostly for those of us with headers and hi flow cats. You should pull those anti foulers out, disconnect the battery to reset the computer and start your drive cycle over again.
I have the non foulers installed on the Pypes O/R H pipe, not the stock ford catted pipe.

Also Im not sure the inspection is the same there as it is here.




Someone told me to try and double up the foulers. Is it worth a shot ?
__________________

Last edited by 06stangGT; 07-16-2012 at 01:29 PM.
06stangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #56
S197GT07
5th Gear Member
 
S197GT07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Mass
Posts: 2,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06stangGT View Post
My tech looks pass the "visual problem" but the things Ive tried and the reputable tuning shops Ive gotten ahold of lead me to believe its nearly impossible with the S197 in NY. One shop I called in PA said they could take care of it no problem, once I said I live in NY, he said "no guarantees to pass there."
A guy on another forum has an S197, KB blower, stage 2 cams, O/R H, the lot.

Passes in NY no problems.

im 99% sure your inspection is no different than MA:

Visual - Easy to pass
OBDII readiness checks
__________________
07 GT-Stick-Vert
|Stingers|JPC Resonators|ARH + O/R H|
|CMDP|Intake|Dyno Tune|WOTBOX|
305rwhp 322rwtq

For sale - GT500 H/E|GT500 Rails|GT500 Steering Wheel|Entire Car!|
S197GT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:43 AM   #57
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member
 
HxCGuitars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT
Location: IL
Posts: 718
Default

Sooo non foulers won't do the trick with longtubes and an o/r midpipe?
__________________

2008 Mustang GT Black/Black - 5 Speed
JLT Series 3 CAI, Bama tunes, MGW Shifter, Pypes Long Tubes, Pypes o/r H, SSS Adrenaline Series Mufflers, Sequentials, 35% Tints, lots more to come.

94 Ranger Ext Cab 4.0 auto 4x4 - Stock for now / Winter and school commuting car.
HxCGuitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #58
timmbo
3rd Gear Member
 
timmbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Location: TN
Posts: 671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06stangGT View Post
I have the non foulers installed on the Pypes O/R H pipe, not the stock ford catted pipe.

Also Im not sure the inspection is the same there as it is here.




Someone told me to try and double up the foulers. Is it worth a shot ?
You can try doubling up the anti foulers. I just can't believe they're gonna pass you without some sort of cat on it. Surely the rich fuel smell of a catless system is going to alert them to look under your car and find the cats missing. Why don't you just put the stock Ford cat pipe back on and go take the test? You still have the factory cat pipe don't you? If not your going to need to buy some Pypes hi flow cats most likely. But why spend 200 bucks on cats when a pipe swap is do damn easy? I do it every year. It ain't a big deal.
__________________


2006 GT Convertible - 29k mi - B326 Stroker - FRPP Hot Rod Cams - Brenspeed Tune - FRPP 4.10s -Pypes Headers/Off Road H - Borla Stinger Axlebacks - Hurst Billet Comp Shifter - Shaftmasters Alum Driveshaft - Roush Rear Springs - Me? I'm a ASE Master Truck and Auto Tech *Daily beater- 94' Toyota Xtra cab 2wd Orig owner. 250k mi*
timmbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #59
S197GT07
5th Gear Member
 
S197GT07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Mass
Posts: 2,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmbo View Post
You can try doubling up the anti foulers. I just can't believe they're gonna pass you without some sort of cat on it. Surely the rich fuel smell of a catless system is going to alert them to look under your car and find the cats missing.
Lets face it, the visual is the easiest thing to pass, as long as you know the guy.
__________________
07 GT-Stick-Vert
|Stingers|JPC Resonators|ARH + O/R H|
|CMDP|Intake|Dyno Tune|WOTBOX|
305rwhp 322rwtq

For sale - GT500 H/E|GT500 Rails|GT500 Steering Wheel|Entire Car!|
S197GT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #60
timmbo
3rd Gear Member
 
timmbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Location: TN
Posts: 671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S197GT07 View Post
Lets face it, the visual is the easiest thing to pass, as long as you know the guy.
Well here in TN we don't have the good ole boy system where you can take your car to just any shop where your mama's brother works and get it inspected. TN has dedicated and regulated emissions test centers. All they do is emissions inspections. They have cameras that monitor the process and will have you arrested if you try to bribe the testers. They take it pretty serious here.
__________________


2006 GT Convertible - 29k mi - B326 Stroker - FRPP Hot Rod Cams - Brenspeed Tune - FRPP 4.10s -Pypes Headers/Off Road H - Borla Stinger Axlebacks - Hurst Billet Comp Shifter - Shaftmasters Alum Driveshaft - Roush Rear Springs - Me? I'm a ASE Master Truck and Auto Tech *Daily beater- 94' Toyota Xtra cab 2wd Orig owner. 250k mi*
timmbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:36 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2005, car, cats, cheat, emissions, ii, inspection, jon, long, lund, mustang, obd, pass, tubes, tune, whipple

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup