Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Wax for our Babies?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:23 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
That's the most important thing to really keep in mind. Most expensive waxes do command a higher price for a reason, they do look better. The problem is that once you pass a certain point, return on investment of the wax gets worse and worse. For example go from an off the shelf cheap product ($5) to a more expensive online product ($30) and is the result 6 times better? Probably not, but it's noticeably better and is probably worth that extra cost to car lovers. Now take that Fuzion or Dodo Juice, is it 6-7 times better than the $30 stuff? Doubt it, but it's still noticeable to a few extra picky buyers. Now take $8000 wax, is it 40 times better than the $200 product, 200 times better than the $30 product? Hell no. You've now removed almost all buyers lol.

The return for each step up gets worse and worse compared to the cost. Which is exactly why I stay at the $30-$40 products, last forever and are great quality for the cost.

I could whip out a little lecture on the marginal rate of substitution, law of diminishing returns, or do some calculations in utils, but I'll try to keep most of this econ talk outta here
Donket, if youre ever in Socal hit me up. i have a feeling we would greatly enjoy the ensuing conversation
Old 09-01-2011, 09:24 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

clay will remove all imbedded crap on your paint..tar, iron, fallout, anything that cant wash off from regular washing. Polishing the paint after claying will remove all the spiderwebbing and swirl marks if done properly to leave your paint nice uniform and swirl free. Sealant are basically like a wax..they are synthetic and usually last longer then a wax..so if you use a sealant you dont need to use a wax..but some still top with a wax to give that type of glow that some waxes produce.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

CaneMustang:

I sure hope those are not matte black (flat black) stripes you are waxing.
They will change the color of them over time.
That is a BIG NO NO To wax flat black stripes.

You need to be using s simple orange spray cleaner or using 303 Aeorospace Protecant . The orange will clean it but the 303 protects vinyl like NOTHING else and does not damage flat black color. You order it online and one bottle of the spray will last as long as your stripes will. It takes one spray to cover an entire stripe panel.
It cleans, and protects against not only dust and contaminants, but it also protects against ALL UV rays and makes them last MUCH LONGER.

You have to order it online but it is priced really cheap and being a former matte black stripe owner, I can tell you it LASTS A LONG TIME and works like NOTHING else.
Wherever you bought those stripes from SHOULD have friggin' told you NOT to wax them. IF you are... STOP doing it AS OF NOW.

Order some of this stuff and you will have it within a week.
Remember you only need ONE spray per striped part.
The stuff is kinda greasy until it dries so if you put too much it can make a mess.
Even if it does, it wont hurt the paint.

Places that put Big Vinyl stickers and such on their products such as RV's, Campers, and Boat manufactures use this stuff to protect their stripes from the weather while they sit out on the lots and like I said it lasts long, and works like MAGIC.

Do yourself a favor and pic a bottle up.
You wont regret it. That wax WILL mess up the matte black color eventually and this stuff is safe and protects again as I said... like NOTHING ELSE.
Others can use it on regular color vinyl stripes as well and it works just as good for them. THE BEST product out there for keeping your stripes good looking, and lasting for years to come.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:30 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

303 Aerospace is ehhh it sometimes leaves surfaces to blotchy and shiny ..Compared to Ultima Tire and Trim guard it sucks.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:01 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
When I aim to go to a car show though, I put on wolfgang paint sealant

http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html

It's pricey but to me it's worth it, and it lasts months as it states...not weeks like waxes. It takes an overnight for it to fully cure and be ready to go but it protects incredibly and it has a wet reflection like a high quality wax. I've applied it twice and still have probably 9/10ths of the bottle full. If I really want it to shine I top it with Meguiars gold class
****ing THIS! WELL worth the money. This stuff is just incredible.. but like he said, you must leave it on overnight.

It makes washing the car so easy, too. I buffed the car a year ago to remove all the swirls from my first ignorant years with the car.. today it is still swirl free in bright sunlight, and I feel sure the sealant is part of that reason. The wash mitt glides over the paint so effortlessly now. I just polish it with a Wolfgang's finishing glaze every few months to remove any small water spots or anything (it is a DD) before I put on the sealant.. usually do it every 3 months or so in substitute of wax. It doesn't necessarily need it every 3 months, but it makes me feel good... and it's easy.. and doesn't use much product. Much better than any wax I have ever used.. ever. & you can still top it with wax for extra ridiculousness.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:29 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Based on the info in this thread, I decided to order that $8000 stuff. J/K!

I did order the Collinite #845--never used it before.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:40 AM
CaneMustang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
CaneMustang:

I sure hope those are not matte black (flat black) stripes you are waxing.
They will change the color of them over time.
That is a BIG NO NO To wax flat black stripes.

You need to be using s simple orange spray cleaner or using 303 Aeorospace Protecant . The orange will clean it but the 303 protects vinyl like NOTHING else and does not damage flat black color. You order it online and one bottle of the spray will last as long as your stripes will. It takes one spray to cover an entire stripe panel.
It cleans, and protects against not only dust and contaminants, but it also protects against ALL UV rays and makes them last MUCH LONGER.

You have to order it online but it is priced really cheap and being a former matte black stripe owner, I can tell you it LASTS A LONG TIME and works like NOTHING else.
Wherever you bought those stripes from SHOULD have friggin' told you NOT to wax them. IF you are... STOP doing it AS OF NOW.

Order some of this stuff and you will have it within a week.
Remember you only need ONE spray per striped part.
The stuff is kinda greasy until it dries so if you put too much it can make a mess.
Even if it does, it wont hurt the paint.

Places that put Big Vinyl stickers and such on their products such as RV's, Campers, and Boat manufactures use this stuff to protect their stripes from the weather while they sit out on the lots and like I said it lasts long, and works like MAGIC.

Do yourself a favor and pic a bottle up.
You wont regret it. That wax WILL mess up the matte black color eventually and this stuff is safe and protects again as I said... like NOTHING ELSE.
Others can use it on regular color vinyl stripes as well and it works just as good for them. THE BEST product out there for keeping your stripes good looking, and lasting for years to come.

Where in the world did I say I wax my flat black stripes? For someone who puts high end products on my car, I have done a ton of research - and that goes for my stripes. And for your 303, like 05xRunner said - ehh, you can keep that. It does not even come close to UTTG - Ultima Tire and Trim guard.
I will keep using my UTTG and then hitting it with Dodo Juice Red Mist and call it a day.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:06 AM
Trez83
2nd Gear Member

The key to any great shine is prep. Clay, compound then sealer or wax is a necessity. In terms of wax, Zymol wax is the greatest I've ever used. Their "Concours Glaze" has the most outstanding shine I've ever seen. Basically, the higher the carnuba content, the better the shine. (http://www.zymol.com/zymolconcoursglaze8oz.aspx)
It is applied just like in the video of the $6000 wax. It goes on easy, doesn't need to dry, and when it hardens (you have to let the car sit in the sun for about an hour or two) you wipe the car down again and WOW! What a killer shine. I've used it on my daily driver and our 1960 Corvette show car. It does last a long time, however, I only use it once a year. The other two times, I'll use "Best in Show" wax by Griots. Good product, easy to apply and remove.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:02 AM
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

Here is the thing for me.This is the nicest car I've ever owned.It is black so i know i need to pay special attention to things.So when i bought it,i also committed my self to really taking care of it.I knew this would involve a more expensive line of detail products.I've never owned a really nice new car so i wasn't really up on the knowledge.I have learned a lot here and on other sites,i watch a lot of you tube.
I went with 1 line,buying special mits,microfibers,drying towels,waffle towels etc. I bought their detail sprays,washes,waterless washes and i got a grit guard.
I was using Meguirs #26 yellow wax,i think it was called but i went ahead and took the plunge on a can of $65 wax and $20 on glaze and $30 for their clay.It looked ok after it was all done,Honestly i was a little let down,i don't know if my expectations were to high or what.
A few weeks ago,i went with TW black box.$20 and everything was in the box.Again i clayed it to start out,then followed the steps,well after the step before the wax,i could immediately tell a difference and what a difference,Wow! this thing popped and i hadn't even gotten the wax on yet.Will it last as long?Maybe not,we will see.But who cares if the wax you put on lasts 6 months or longer if it doesn't offer the shine and depth?I would rather wax my car every 2 or 3 months for a great shine than every 6 months for an Ok shine.
Now i have $65 can of wax that i probably won't use in my lifetime.That $65 could of went to the mod bank.I'll probably put it on my wifes VW.
The Zymol Concours is $165 i see,Zaino and all the other guys claiming how great there stuff is,is also up there in price.I feel that if they want me to spend that kind of money,i should at least be able to buy a trial size.I wouldn't mind paying $10 for a little shot of wax to test an area of my car.Same with all their other products,prove to me that your stuff is worth the extra cost.I don't have that kind of money to spend on a product on a hope that it will look great.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:10 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wanakanabe
Here is the thing for me.This is the nicest car I've ever owned.It is black so i know i need to pay special attention to things.So when i bought it,i also committed my self to really taking care of it.I knew this would involve a more expensive line of detail products.I've never owned a really nice new car so i wasn't really up on the knowledge.I have learned a lot here and on other sites,i watch a lot of you tube.
I went with 1 line,buying special mits,microfibers,drying towels,waffle towels etc. I bought their detail sprays,washes,waterless washes and i got a grit guard.
I was using Meguirs #26 yellow wax,i think it was called but i went ahead and took the plunge on a can of $65 wax and $20 on glaze and $30 for their clay.It looked ok after it was all done,Honestly i was a little let down,i don't know if my expectations were to high or what.
A few weeks ago,i went with TW black box.$20 and everything was in the box.Again i clayed it to start out,then followed the steps,well after the step before the wax,i could immediately tell a difference and what a difference,Wow! this thing popped and i hadn't even gotten the wax on yet.Will it last as long?Maybe not,we will see.But who cares if the wax you put on lasts 6 months or longer if it doesn't offer the shine and depth?I would rather wax my car every 2 or 3 months for a great shine than every 6 months for an Ok shine.
Now i have $65 can of wax that i probably won't use in my lifetime.That $65 could of went to the mod bank.I'll probably put it on my wifes VW.
The Zymol Concours is $165 i see,Zaino and all the other guys claiming how great there stuff is,is also up there in price.I feel that if they want me to spend that kind of money,i should at least be able to buy a trial size.I wouldn't mind paying $10 for a little shot of wax to test an area of my car.Same with all their other products,prove to me that your stuff is worth the extra cost.I don't have that kind of money to spend on a product on a hope that it will look great.
waxing glazing and claying is not going to make you have much of a difference in the way the car looks..especially after claying because the clay will induce marring onto the paint as its removing things..you are going to have to invest in a DA polisher like the PC 7424xp, Griots garage 6" or the Meguiars G110v2..then buff out the swirls then wax it..you will then see a difference in the paint.

Quick Reply: Best Wax for our Babies?