Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob shifting question

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 09:18 PM
MysticSeer

Here are a few tips about using the clutch that I think are interesting:
1) The clutch should not be used to smoothly *slip* from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th. When performing those shifts you should be able to quickly let go of the clutch rather than slip the clutch.
2) When starting out, similar to the item above, the clutch should be used to get the car started and then use the engine to accelerate, not slip the clutch from 0 to 15 MPH. Equate clutch slipping with clutch wear. Of course if you are trying to race you will prolly eat the clutch a bit. That is for fun and it wears out the clutch and tires. I am discussing normal, everyday use, not racing or "peeling out".
3) When you corner, you don't push in the clutch. You just corner. I have seen so many people push that clutch in and out and in and out and in and out. OMG! If you need to downshift to get to 2nd gear in your neighborhood, downshift quickly, don't eat the clutch to do it, and then let out the clutch, foot OFF the pedal, and corner with the car in gear. Likewise if slowing down off the freeway, you don't push in the clutch until you need to stop. Again, downshift if necessary (prolly not though), and wait until you are almost stopped to push in the clutch.
4) When sitting at a light or a stop sign or when waiting for someone, put the car in neutral and take your foot OFF the clutch pedal. Holding in the clutch wears out the throw out bearing and is just bad form.
5) On a hill, keep right foot on the brake and release the clutch SLOWLY until it starts to engage and maybe the engine slows down slightly. At that point you can release the brake and the car will prolly not roll back at all. A little gas and slowly release the clutch and you won't roll back at all! Practice when all alone. Same goes for backing out of a parking spot on a hill. If you practice this a few times you will find it easy.

Congrats on the GT!!!! I have had my manual V6 Mustang for only 8 days. Fun!

--Kent
Old 11-08-2011, 01:24 PM
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member

Without reading all of this (i.e. this may be duplicate advice), you want to realize that the rpm "gap" between gears is not uniform all the way up. On my 2009. there is ROUGHLY a 1500 rpm drop going up from 1-2 and 2-3 however ROUGHLY a 1000 rpm drop going from 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5. This, of course, translates to how much of a "pause" there should be as you cross the neutral point of the gate. As you up shift, it's more of a two-stage motion of the shift lever 1-n (pause)-2. On the upshifts, you don't let the clutch out as you pause in the neutral position, its just literally a part of a second that you pause while the stick is in that position.

On the downshifts, once you feel comfortable, this translates to how many revs you need to give the engine, while in neutral with the clutch out. I'll give an example: Say I'm in 4th gear at 70mph. My engine will be turning 3k rpm. If I depress the clutch, go to neutral, let the clutch out, give about 1200rpm (i.e. a bit more than the 1000 that I really need), put the clutch in, drop into 3rd gear and let the clutch out, the car will slot into 3rd gear beautifully and be at 4krpm while still moving 70mph. This all happens REALLY fast, almost like one big dance-step!

Don't practice it at 70 mph, but rather 40mph, move among 4th, 3rd, and 2nd, adding a bit over 1000 rpm going 4-3 and a bit over 1500 rpm going from 3-2...

Hope this helps...it's SOOOOOOO much fun when you get the feeling down smoothly! Eventually, you can even skip gears....i.e. add enough revs to go directly from 5-3 or 4-2 :-)
Old 11-08-2011, 04:16 PM
mlager8
1st Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by 157dB
Just replacing the OEM shifter mounting bushings with
Good Prothane Polyurathane pieces will help tremendously
with shifting.
How can I get to the bushings? Can I just remove the console and boot or do I need to get under the car? Where can I get a pair?

CincyGT, thanks for the explanation, I had no real idea how to downshift properly, I would only downshift when decelerating and my rpms go low enough for me to shift accordingly, it now makes sense!

Kent, the second night out I came to a stopsign on a hill with a car right up my back and almost wiped out with only 4 hours on the car total... I figured it out fine but boy would your advice have come in handy about two weeks ago, anyway thanks for the tips!

Last edited by mlager8; 11-08-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

I got hills pretty easily. Just play surgeon on the clutch finding the sweet spot
I just HATE when I look in my mirror and they are up my exhaust. Gets me all paranoid
Old 11-08-2011, 08:17 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Just smoke the tires a bit on the hills.....idiots will stay away then....lol
Old 11-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

Early on I stalled it at an intersection by the city police station.
Told a guy at work and he told me to rev to 5k and drop the clutch....in front of the police station. Lol
Old 11-09-2011, 01:40 AM
JimmyM
3rd Gear Member

I think double clutching and rev matching may be too early at his stage. I learned how to drive stick on my '11 and I didn't try all that until I felt comfortable. Still haven't gotten down heel and toe.

For me, I learned best when I looked at the tach when I engaged. For example, when I shifted to 2nd I would watch the RPM for when it engaged. If it went lower after engaging, it means I gave too much gas.. which will have that surging feeling. If it rises, it means I didn't give enough gas and will buck.

Your question can't be answered. If you shift at 2500 and shift quickly, you can rev to 2000 and catch it for a smooth shift. If you shift slower, you will probably have to engage and match RPM at 1500. You get my meaning

Hills are no fun, even when you know how to drive stick. I was recently stuck on an incline at probably around 45 degrees... no joke. It was also one of the few rare rainy days in SoCal. I'd like to smack whoever decided it would be a good idea to put a STOP sign on top of that hill. As soon as I let out the brake my car is rolling backwards fast. I will avoid that hill at all cost, even though I can handle. I was in line after about 10+ cars going through that STOP sign. One of the most unpleasant experiences I've had in life

Last edited by JimmyM; 11-09-2011 at 01:42 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by mlager8
How can I get to the bushings? Can I just remove the console and boot or do I need to get under the car? Where can I get a pair?
From underneith. No need to remove the console or shifter boot.
Crawl under and see fo yo self...

www.mossmuscle.com
search 'prothane'

woops, they dont seem to be selling them anymore

I seem to remember a post about these 'bushings'
not being available anymore.
try 'energy suspension'...