Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American Muscle Short Throw Shifter - Any feedback

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SoCalGT08
I'm very close to buying a MGW Shifter.......

How is the 2 to 3 shift on the MGW?
With probably around 100 runs at the drag strip on the MGW, I've yet to miss a powershift.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:59 PM
SoCalGT08

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
With probably around 100 runs at the drag strip on the MGW, I've yet to miss a powershift.

when you shift from 2 to 3......does it lock out the other gears? so that you can't miss 3rd?
Old 02-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

They're not locked out, but you'd have to be the worst shifter of all time to hit 1st or 5th from 2nd with the MGW.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:44 PM
SoCalGT08

sounds good...cant wait to get one
Old 02-07-2012, 08:10 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Thumbs up

The Steeda Tri-Ax will give you one of the best 2-3 shift in the business.

Here is a write up from 5.0 magazine:
The Steeda Tri-Ax is like steroids for the stock shifter mechanism. It amplifies what's already there by bestowing shorter throws and more feel without throwing the stock shifter's NVH out the window," Steve said. "In short, it's just what the shift doctor ordered for the preponderance of street 'Stang owners."

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec..._gt/index.html

Steeda has determind that the 20% throw is ideal for the driver, the transmission and ultimately for not missing a gear. Our shifter gives you the confidence that when you shift from 2nd to 3rd gear that you will hit the correct gear as opposed to having a gummy feeling and shifting back into 1st , into 5th, or just missing a shift. Our shifter has crossed the finish line in first place more times than the competition and that is something we are proud of.

Just wanted to give you another option

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-t...d-mustang.html

Last edited by tj@steeda; 02-07-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:16 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

The MGW shifter is best all around shifter on the market. I don't know why I waited so long to get one.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:38 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

The bracket itself is a good option, and cleans up the things that bother people about the stock shifter. The only thing it doesn't do is reduce the throw and give you that "I know what gear I'm in" feeling. It'll feel crisp, a little smoother - but not as short throw or as smooth operation as it could be. That's why I recommend doing both.

Short Throw Shifter (11-12 V6) MT82 at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Barton Industries Shifter Bracket (11-12 V6) MT82 at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

With the pair, you're getting the crisp, responsive engagement that you want, while shortening throw and smoothing out the shift-action quite a bit. Both parts are important, and both make a difference. There's a long thread on TheMustangSource where quite a few guys installed our shifters with aftermarket bushings and love the difference. Their reviews all say the same... basically, "throw reduction is 1-1.5 inches, it's notchy (but still smooth), easier to get in and out of gear, it should have come from the factory like this!"

When you drive your car, throttle response and shifting (for a manual) are the two noticeable things that the driver feels 100% of the time. You can argue many other things like gearing, handling, braking - but the two things the driver does the most is shift and hit the gas. With both of these added, it's not something you notice once. You use it all the time!

Our package on both of those is $230 (or cheaper with your forums discount), but something you'll take advantage of every time you get into the drivers seat.

Hit us up if you have any questions at all!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:43 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrjlh1967
I have a 2011 GT with 6speed manual. Notchy shifting since new from 1st to 2nd. Dealer has told me three times they are all like this and nothing they can do. Have heard mixed reviews on if an aftermarket shifter will help. Also find when really trying to shift quickly from 2nd to 3rd sometimes I hit 5th, which can be a real buzz kill so looking for something to help make me more accurate, and consistent, if possible. Been looking around and found that American Muscle appears to have their own branded one: http://www.americanmuscle.com/short-shifter-1112.html

It is considerably less than the Steeda, Barton and Hurst and has good feedback on their site, but would like some more opinions from those with actual experience with it.
Has anyone here installed or used it and what type of feedback do you have? Is it too good to be true or am I just stuck either way with notchy shifting?
This is private labeled for us, right here in the US. It's a great shifter at a ridiculous value. The reviews have been extremely positive, and I think you'll see that the quality of the shifter is VERY good, especially being at such a low price point for what it does (reduces throw by 25-30%, reduces the shifter height by .5", isolates vibration, etc.). It still retains the factory reverse lockout, and we've yet to receive negative feedback on this shifter.

If you're looking for something that is bullet-proof, aircraft billet aluminum or full adjustability, we also sell those (Barton, Hurst, etc.) - but at a higher price point. We recently installed both the Hurst Billet Plus 2 short throw and the Barton short throw shifter and bracket on our 2012 Mustang GT, Project Blackout. We ran them both at the track for a few weeks at a time, and honestly - other than the reverse lockout difference - they both held up to abuse, shifted smooth and firm and I couldn't find a clear-cut "better" shifter.

We have customer submitted images and reviews on the product pages for all 3 of those products, as well as video. Spend some time looking through them and see what you think!

Hope this helps, hit me up for the forum discount before you place any orders, so I can save you a few bucks!

Chris
Old 02-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

MGW blows all the others away. Do it right the first time - go MGW.