The Future of my GT - MustangForums.com

Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

The Future of my GT

Old 09-07-2015, 05:32 PM
vintageaion

Default The Future of my GT

Hi,

Before I start, I would like to introduce you to my Baby:

There isn't much on her except Intake, Bigger gears, Bigger cams maybe, Short Throw shifter, and Cats removed. I bought the car how it is.

I want to discuss the future of this car.

I always enjoyed speed. But I never been stupid with it. I love the feel of adrendaline the car gives me everytime I power shift or launch but now I feel like I want more.

I am starting to do a plan to improve her. I want to do more than just upgrading what she has. I am thinking about Engine swaps and transmission upgrades and improvement to her handling. She already cuts corners very well for heavy muscle but I believe she can probably do more.

I am not looking to drag her. I like the torque of a muscle but still the ability to handle her around sharp turns. If anything, Ill be taking her to a Motorsport Track not a drag strip.

Any Ideas on what engine, transmission and what other upgrades I can do?

I was thinking of a 5.0 upgrade but I know nothing about transmissions. I like how her transmission is now but I don't know if I can keep the same transmission if I switch from 4.6 to 5.0?
Old 09-08-2015, 08:22 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Spend a little time in the 'Handling' section that appears under this one.

But I will start by telling you that you don't have to do a whole lot to make a 4.6L S197 make a very good showing of itself on a road course. All I've done to mechanically upgrade my '08 is shocks & struts (Koni yellows), adjustable front and rear stabilizer bars (Strano), UMI endlinks, and rear LCAs with one end spherical and one end modified poly (Currie). Wider wheels and better tires (now 18 x 11 Forgestars with 285/35-18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires for track time, 18 x 9.5 GT500 wheels with 255/45-18 Goodyear Asymmetrics, soon to have MPSS in 265/40-18). And a fairly aggressive alignment (around -2 camber). Engine is 100% stock mechanically with only the FRPP cold air and tune, and I've got a shift reminder set to 5900 rpm.

Car runs within a couple seconds/lap of SS-level Camaros that have IRS and about a hundred more HP than I have, and my '08 is still on the OE springs. In the below video I'm running at around 100 mph through the turn that comes up just after going under the bridge. I take it easy on the first lap to let everything (including me) warm up to where the normal track pace needs them to be.

The S197 can also be a competent car in the wet, should you ever take in a wet track day.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 09-08-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:45 AM
vintageaion

Thank you for your response. Ill definitely look more into handling.

I was thinking of adding longtube headers. My pony currently has straightpipes from the headers to the corsa tips, but I think she has stock headers.

I guess I really don't need better acceleration ATM, she already speeds up pretty well.

Ill look into those things you added to your cat and see how much it will cost for me to get it done to nine