Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coyote 5.0 insane RPM

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 03:28 PM
MrBlack2012GT

Originally Posted by Roy_R
You were going to get a new engine...but not anymore!!!! Ford service reps read these forums...can't help you!!!
Just heard from Ford a minute ago, their mechanics have to go down a long list and dis-assemble everything but their were metal shavings everywhere throughout the block and he mentioned the knock, the guy said we're "most likely" going to need a new engine. He also asked if we have something else to drive, and yes, they gave us a v6 pony in the meantime, and he said "don't blow that up too". Gotta love Ford!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:33 PM
MrBlack2012GT

Originally Posted by chain1
It's awesome that you're excited about blowing the engine on a new car.
That was the point, the engine didn't blow up. I'm saying that Ford build a hell of a motor, we drove it around for almost 1,000 miles after the incident before the bearing finally let go. With that kind of RPM in a stock v8 you'd think a rod or piston would've launched itself from the block....
Old 04-26-2012, 03:41 PM
MrBlack2012GT

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
That's what I was thinking... Probably better to have waited until you got the car back before bragging... There can't be that many 2012's in LA getting a short block replaced right now... You should edit your OP to tell us the "truth" about how it blew on it's own, not knowing what could have caused it...

Don
I live in Texas
Old 04-26-2012, 03:44 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
You should edit your OP to tell us the "truth" about how it blew on it's own, not knowing what could have caused it...

Don
If Ford wants to look deep enough, they'll know what happened. Only one way to get to that RPM, at that speed given the known tranny and gear ratios .
Old 04-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
If Ford wants to look deep enough, they'll know what happened. Only one way to get to that RPM, at that speed given the known tranny and gear ratios .
i think there should be more safety measures preventing it from being possible to do this on accident.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:09 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
i think there should be more safety measures preventing it from being possible to do this on accident.
Short of locking out certain gears above a speed range, there isn't much that can be done. As I said earlier, this is completely a mechanical occurrence. You can have a fan that is limited to 200 rpm electronically, but if you manually spin that thing to 400rpm, there isn't anything there to prevent it from happening. Poor example as electric motors usually can spin in a much higher RPM range, but you get the idea . . .

Frankly, there is little incentive to 'fix' this, as this is generally an error NOT covered by warranty. If it has no out of pocket cost to the automaker, why would they fix it?

This is 100% user error. No different than gunning the throttle, losing the back end, and hitting a curb. Utilizing a proper shift technique, this can absolutely be avoided.

I'm not one to gripe if Ford ends up fixing it. Good for the OP . I'd be taking that money otherwise used to build a motor and setting it aside in a rainy day fund. Or pay for a few fun track days with the Pa so they can have some fun, but also learn some techniques to avoid the money shift in the future.

There are a few ways to shift, and opinions will vary, but this has always worked for me in avoiding the money shift, and I know of a few instructors that shift in this manner.
http://www.shortshifter.com/techniques2.htm

Last edited by siggyfreud; 04-26-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Short of locking out certain gears above a speed range, there isn't much that can be done. As I said earlier, this is completely a mechanical occurrence. You can have a fan that is limited to 200 rpm electronically, but if you manually spin that thing to 400rpm, there isn't anything there to prevent it from happening. Poor example as electric motors usually can spin in a much higher RPM range, but you get the idea . . .

Frankly, there is little incentive to 'fix' this, as this is generally an error NOT covered by warranty. If it has no out of pocket cost to the automaker, why would they fix it?

This is 100% user error. No different than gunning the throttle, losing the back end, and hitting a curb. Utilizing a proper shift technique, this can absolutely be avoided.

I'm not one to gripe if Ford ends up fixing it. Good for the OP . I'd be taking that money otherwise used to build a motor and setting it aside in a rainy day fund. Or pay for a few fun track days with the Pa so they can have some fun, but also learn some techniques to avoid the money shift in the future.

There are a few ways to shift, and opinions will vary, but this has always worked for me in avoiding the money shift, and I know of a few instructors that shift in this manner.
yea why doesnt the tranny actually lock you out of gears above a certain MPH?... that would completely prevent this. I thought it did lock you out of gears actually above certain MPH's.. try to put it in 1st or 2nd gear at 80 mph and it just wont go from what i can tell...
Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 PM
MrBlack2012GT

I took a look at the link, it will definately be of use in the future. Thanks for posting man!
Old 04-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

If you want your car to make the shifting decisions for you, get an auto. I don't want a nanny shifting for me, that is why I bought a manual.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:40 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrBlack2012GT
I took a look at the link, it will definately be of use in the future. Thanks for posting man!
No problem, and good luck with the rebuild, whatever route that takes. If you're planning on future upgrades, now may be a good time to toss in some forged parts .

Chrome, I agree with you. I think the frequency of this issue, though not super rare, doesn't warrant the money and potential maintenance expense of implementing a solution. People just get excited during a race (which is completely understandable) and start throwing their arm strength into the shift. At those RPMs, the wrong gear will naturally resist your advances, but can't prevent you from shifting if your arms will it.

Shift with your wrist, not your arm.

If you find yourself racing a lot, especially in a track environment, a lot of people will toss in stiffer transmission bushings/mounts to keep the transmission from flexing under high torque situations. There have been a few occurrences on the older M3 forums, where worn mounts allowed the transmission to flex and made it easier to hit 3rd instead of 5th, because the transmission was slightly out of position.

Last edited by siggyfreud; 04-26-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Coyote 5.0 insane RPM