Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For Those of You With Powder Coated Wheels. Are These OK Or Messed Up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 02:52 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Looks great! I'd get it re-done. BTW, you need to let me drive it again.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Yeah I was not going to do it but found some more flaws that I could not ignore.
The powder coating place was awesome about it and is going to redo them Monday.

They want me to inspect them myself before they are put back on the car because he said and I quote:

"We take pride in our work and want you to be COMPLETELY happy about the job we have done and want them to be perfect for you."

That impressed me quite a bit. Not that many places these days that not only don't bitch when they do something over, but take the time to make a positive opportunity out of an honest mistake. Great customer service reply!

And P.S. Ricardo
Of course you can drive it again brotha!
Old 05-19-2012, 12:17 PM
DeepImpactPony

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke

They want me to inspect them myself before they are put back on the car because he said and I quote:

"We take pride in our work and want you to be COMPLETELY happy about the job we have done and want them to be perfect for you."

That impressed me quite a bit. Not that many places these days that not only don't bitch when they do something over, but take the time to make a positive opportunity out of an honest mistake. Great customer service reply!
As a service provider in finishing or refinishing of metals, this is the same answer I would have given. Outstanding, that they provide that kind of service.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke

Outstanding customer service! Make sure you pass on the name & contact info to everyone! Good suppliers are not always easy to find.

I have significant experience with powder-coating.
Powder-coating does have an orange-peel texture to the surface normally. The scale of the orange-peel is dependent on the temp when the powder activates.
Usually when the orange-peel scale is larger, the metal is thinner and activated earlier in the oven process. The areas where the scale is smaller, the powder activated later in the process due to a thicker metal section.
Does that make sense?

If you want a smoother or glossier finish you can specify a second coat. The wheels are coated & baked normally, then resprayed while still hot and re-baked. This makes a superior finish. I have never tried it on a matte-finish powder, so I have no idea what the result would be.

What powder did they use?
I always specified Urethane based powder on parts when possible. It has superior UV stability and wear capabilities. Epoxy to too hard & chips easily as well as not being UV stable.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Can't say what kind of powder they used.
That orange peel texture you speak of is known as "pitting" correct?
Im ok with some of that, and it did have some of that. But.. the thing that bothered me
was not like that.
It was almost like their was dirt under the powder coating or something.

I might ask them what they think a second layer would do to the semi gloss black.
It isn't matte but it's def. not as a shiny coat as gloss.
I did not want to go with full gloss black because it is such a BITCH to keep clean.
Had them on my 06GT and you had to literally clean them EVERY day in order for them to look
remotely correct. AND it seemed the gloss showed every single little scratch that ANYTHING might cause.

Someone I know and some others from the shop I had them done at had theirs semi gloss and they made the same
remarks about the full gloss in black.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 05-19-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Powder coat job re done and it is FANTASTIC!

Will post pics later this weekend after a wash.
Next step...getting the new louvers painted then put on!
After that.. Shelby GT500 hood pins!

That will be all for the cosmetics!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I think they could have done a better job. I've had 3 sets of wheels powdercoated, with a more complicated design then those wheels.. and they did not come out like that.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:32 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

My 1st set was done by someone who looked like he knew what he was doing. The end result had some areas looking somewhat like yours, but honestly, not as bad. They did end up peeling and getting worse as time went by.

Found a real pro outfit in Orange county and took them there. They stripped them to bare metal and it looks great now.