Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning - Americanmuscle caps won't fit & need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 01:09 PM
ninefooter
1st Gear Member

Default Warning - Americanmuscle caps won't fit & need suggestions

Just a heads up (unless I made a mistake) this doesn't fit.. On my 2013 mustang v6 I bought this tire & rim package from americanmuscle: http://www.americanmuscle.com/motors...0509-stan.html

and bought 4 of these http://www.americanmuscle.com/bucecap.html#tab3
which say they fit 2013 v6, and also bullitt 09 which I checked on the site (and believe) was the same as the ones I ordered so they should've fit. One of the four showed up cracked, and they sent a replacement asap. So now that I had four today I took off the american muscle caps and tried to put these on. This is where the problems began.

2013 with those rims:

The caps:

Inside the center of the rim is this black metal piece from my axle I presume that sticks out which pushes the cap out:

So instead of just returning them because I really like the way they look I decided to try to dremel the middle of the back of the cap out to see if it was the gray plastic that was the problem so I went and bought a dremel tool. Be gentle. My first dremel use ever!:

After using the dremel and cutting out the middle down to the pad and trying to put it back on it still would not fit around whatever that thing is called on the axle preventing it from going on.

So fair warning what is said fits in this situation... doesn't. Now I'm stuck with no caps for now, and I don't know exactly what to do or what will fit. So if anyone has any suggestions as to what caps WILL fit that look good with black rims I would love to hear it. I guess I'll be returning 3 of these and take a 50 dollar loss since I took the risk to dremel it out

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

I would contact AM.com. They have OUTSTANDING repuation here and I have never heard of anyone having a problem with them.

Matthew
Old 05-20-2012, 03:11 PM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

I would give AM a call. I just installed the Ford Racing Tri-Pony center on my 2012 Stock rims with no issues this past Saturday.Unless the black thing on the Axel on the 2013's extend Out further, causing it to push the Center caps Off. Not sure about your situation, but mines easily snapped onto my rims. I plan on getting some black bullitts rims that are from AM and installing these same center caps on them.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:58 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

i had the same caps on my stock 18" and when i got my 20" they wouldnt fit on the new rims, i had to use the americanmuscle caps that came with them.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I agree with everyone else.. Call AM.. Those guys will bend over backwards to rectify any issues..
Old 05-20-2012, 04:38 PM
ninefooter
1st Gear Member

update: Well I've been working at this all day and have 2 installed so far. I had to cut out the middle, then cut out the outside edges carefully to get them in. I have 2 more to go. Good news is I can't even seem to get them out now so I don't have to worry about them being stolen haha. This has certainly been a bit of an undertaking not expected . Ah well what started out as a frustrating Sunday has kinda turned into a pretty fun one.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:24 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

A customer of mine ran into this after he got a rim destroyed in a collision...
He got his first set (with tire package) from AM and he ordered the same rim after the crash, which happened 3 years or so after the original purchase.
The cap housing on the new rim was machined totally different so his original cap wouldn't fit.
And he couldn't get the old rim with the correct machining anymore, sucked.
He had to use a Tri-pony decal over the new rim cap like I did when I got my set from AM.

This made in China crap will do this to you, it's not AM's fault per say because they don't make the product but it would be nice to have some consistency.
The fog light assembly for a new edge Stang, for example, is nowhere near fitting into its bumper, lol.

Despite all this though, AM is still one of the best company out there.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:25 AM
ninefooter
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
A customer of mine ran into this after he got a rim destroyed in a collision...
He got his first set (with tire package) from AM and he ordered the same rim after the crash, which happened 3 years or so after the original purchase.
The cap housing on the new rim was machined totally different so his original cap wouldn't fit.
And he couldn't get the old rim with the correct machining anymore, sucked.
He had to use a Tri-pony decal over the new rim cap like I did when I got my set from AM.

This made in China crap will do this to you, it's not AM's fault per say because they don't make the product but it would be nice to have some consistency.
The fog light assembly for a new edge Stang, for example, is nowhere near fitting into its bumper, lol.

Despite all this though, AM is still one of the best company out there.
Yea well while AM may have great customer service shown in how fast they sent a replacement, I believe they should check some of this stuff to make sure it does what they say. Look at Apple... Just because a lot of their stuff is made in China, if their ipods or tablets don't do what they say people will blame Apple not a random Chinese company manufacturing the product. If I'm buying something from AM that they list as fitting a specific product, then it arrives and doesn't fit at all that's not good.

Point with this thread was a) i didn't know what to do that would fit so was looking for suggestions, but ended up forcing them to fit in the end and b) a fair warning to anyone else in the future who may be inquiring about fitment of caps in am rims (or other parts). They'll know it may not be what they say and either be ready to manipulate it to possible death or be ready to return it.

Thanks
Old 05-21-2012, 09:20 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

That's the problem with being a large scale retailer.
You lose control quality over some products.