Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-20-2015, 10:34 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Plasti dip my rims???

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Default Plasti dip my rims???

Drove home on my spare today after removing a 3" long 1/4" bolt from my tire.
I realized that I kinda like the gloss black rim (aside from it being an ugly spare).
Ive always thought full black rims looked crappy jsut because they remind me of spares but it looked pretty menacing with the window tint and dark red paint.
It got me thinking of trying to plasti dip my rims but I have a few questions.
Is plasti dip removable without causing any damage? I like my current rims and plan on keeping them so I dont want to do anything irreversible.
And does plasti dip come in gloss black? I dont want matte but google only showed me some sort of gloss additive. Will that still be removable??

Any pics, thoughts, or tips on plasti dip?
Old 06-09-2012, 10:16 PM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

never heard anything bad on plastidip remove, except on a whole car g35, guy screwed his paints somehow, but couple friend of mine did it and never had any probleme on rims to get them removed, not sure for the glossy part, lets someone else answer that.. and i agree with you, it would definitly look good, id try it out no doute for the cost
Old 06-09-2012, 10:37 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

I've heard that you can paint over plasti-dip, in fact it was from someone on this forum I believe. That being said, I imagine you could plasti-dip your rims and spray a coat of clear...not sure how it would turn out but I've heard of people doing it. Might be worth a shot if you want to go for it, supposedly the paint makes it a bit more durable, but you can still peel it off without any damage.

Good luck.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:44 PM
redrader26
1st Gear Member

They sale a glossifier you can put over the matte black to give you whatever shine you want. I did mine with two coats of glossifier. I ordered the plasti dip glossifier off amazon.

I was like you and just wanted to see how I liked my car with black rims. I did it about 2 months ago and still loving it.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:49 PM
B.Richards
1st Gear Member

Glossifier works wonders you can make it as glossy as you want depending on how many coats you put.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:06 PM
SchneidyP4.6
2nd Gear Member

No. Plastidip is for GTI's and Civics.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Hinojosa
2nd Gear Member

all with plastidip, amazing ive done it for 3 cars and it looks good on all of them
Old 06-12-2012, 11:01 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SchneidyP4.6
Pretty much. My two roommates did it and it makes their 370Z and Jeep SRT8 look like crap IMO. It might look good day one but it doesn't hold up to normal use and the brake dust doesn't come off so it looks terrible.

The only thing I'll say is that since it can come off clean it's an ok way to test a color. Still I wouldn't do it. Test a color with photoshop instead
Old 06-13-2012, 01:38 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SchneidyP4.6
Originally Posted by candymanjl
Pretty much. My two roommates did it and it makes their 370Z and Jeep SRT8 look like crap IMO. It might look good day one but it doesn't hold up to normal use and the brake dust doesn't come off so it looks terrible.

The only thing I'll say is that since it can come off clean it's an ok way to test a color. Still I wouldn't do it. Test a color with photoshop instead
Word.

Keep in mind plasti-dip has been popularized by the same group of retards that camber their wheels sideways and put on tires that are way too small for their rims because it looks "dope."

I do play around with this stuff all the time, though. It's good for creativity and testing things out. I did my fogs the other day to see how a Boss 302 inspired grille would look. Then I just peeled it right off.

I would never use it as a real mod though.. especially on wheels. Stock looks so much better. I've found that glossifier is basically "gel-ifier". It makes the surface feel like gel and isn't in fact very glossy. Just a little deeper than the regular plasti-dip's gross matte grayish brownish look.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:02 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Give it a try just so you can get rid of that curiousity. But I do have to agree with 07BLACKGT. It's great to see what something will look like, but that's about it. I Plastidipped my wheels to try it out. While I have to say that it looks great, I also have to mention that I'm thinking of removing it soon. You see, when you Plastidip the wheels, the brake dust will start to gather on the wheels, which gives it an ugly brownish color. And you can't really clean it right away because for the first three weeks or so, the Plastidip has a rubbery feel to it. You can clean it much better once it has hardened, and by then, plenty of brake dust would have settled on it, giving it that ugly brown look. So like previously stated, you should definately give it a try! Just don't keep it as a permanent thing. Here's my before and after:

Quick Reply: Plasti dip my rims???