Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best POWER Adder for the money?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Blowed&Stroked

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Yes get those badges off of there. That is the #1 no no in the auto world....fake badges. It sounds like you bought it that way so its not your fault but its BS, take em off.

Nitrous......no f#cking way. Really bad idea. Supercharger, hell no another bad idea. Your 16 and dont have the budget for repairs. Just do some gears and get a tune-cai from brenspeed. That alone will liven up the car a lot.

How bout some pics too.
Holy ****!! Only 16?? I would have to agree on none if the add ons for more power/speed. U may be a good driver but there's a lot more experience needed to be able control a high horse power beast. Plus u prob got ur phone in ur hand, a girl in the passenger seat, and a few buddies n the back seat, too many distractions. Hang onto the car if u really like it and beef it up down the road. Enjoy the power the motor makes
Old 12-30-2012, 11:04 AM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Best power adder for the money is the DOB kit with a GT500 blower. 450rwhp for $3500 is the best you'll do. I do not however recommend it for a 16 old. You will get in trouble best wreck your car worst kill yourself. Save your money for the inevitable accident you'll get into with your car stock.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:39 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp
Best power adder for the money is the DOB kit with a GT500 blower. 450rwhp for $3500 is the best you'll do. I do not however recommend it for a 16 old. You will get in trouble best wreck your car worst kill yourself. Save your money for the inevitable accident you'll get into with your car stock.

You forgot to add the trouble of piecing the whole thing together and the fact most of the parts are used. I'd gladly pay more to not have to do all the hunting and pecking, but I'm not a 16 year old with only $2500.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Blowed&Stroked

If you have that kinda money to throw around u should throw it in a bank account not a car. Go to college and get degree. My buddy went to school for computer programming and now he's head iT for AAA and gets to travel the country setting up the programs for his company at new locations. They pay him $146k a year and works mostly from home. Plus he started his own telecommunications business and the first 3 yrs brought in 150k+. That's 300k a year. Think what u could do with that kinda money. The Nissan gt-r makes 1300 hp and 1/4 mile times in the 7.70's!! Spend wisely my friend!!
Old 12-30-2012, 01:59 PM
2009 Eleanor
2nd Gear Member

Damn...didn't think this thread would take off like that.
I will get pics tommorow if I can figure out how to upload. Otherwise just look in my garage albums.
Thanks for everyones concern in regards to me driving a car too fast with too much power.

In regards to the power adder, I am now having second thoughts. It's still winter here in maryland and I guess I can wait for a good oppurtunity to buy a supercharger. My OCD will just have to calm down. I will continue to do more research because this will be a daily driver. What I meant by "I like idea that my car isn't always under boost" is that I like how I can just have the nitrous turned off and still romp down on it without having to worry about something going wrong (like on a supercharger).
Old 12-30-2012, 02:01 PM
2009 Eleanor
2nd Gear Member

Here is a pic off of my phone:
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-30-2012, 02:51 PM
JimC

NItrous is not a street power adder. You can't go around with the nitrous bottle on at all times, it will cause the solenoids to fail due to the pressure. It is really a track use only power adder - you have to have the correct bottle pressure, have the bottle open, and the system armed, to use it.

And to try to use it on the street - you would be surprised how quickly you can empty a 10lb bottle. I used to only get about 9 passes at the track on a 75 shot before it was difficult to keep the bottle pressure up. At $4.50 a pound to fill you can see why it isn't a street use power adder.

For it to work properly and safely you have to adjust the tune. Which means that daily driving on the street you either have to run a compromise tune so you get less than what you want without the nitrous, or risk detonation when you hit the juice because you run a tune that gives you the daily performance without nitrous that you want to have.

Check your local law to see if it is even legal on the street.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:55 PM
2009 Eleanor
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for clearing things up. It is illegal in Maryland so I guess I'm back to plan b. what do you think a fair price is for a Paxton 2200 sl head unit with 2500 miles on it? And what type of power could I expect out of it?
Old 12-30-2012, 02:58 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Nice looking car! It doesn't look like a gt500 really, but if it has cobra badges on it, then I'd take those off.

Not everyone is cut out for college. I tried it and couldn't do it. I love computers too, but computer programming is freaking hard and annoying.

Buy a CAI and tuner from brenspeed and add some gears if you have a competent shop to do it.

Last edited by moosestang; 12-30-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:32 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

That's a nice looking Mustang with some nice/expesive after market mods. As others have mentioned, I would suggest removing all GT500 decals/labels and badges. If you are looking for 25-30 more HP, go with a CAI/Custom tune combo from a reputable company such as American Muscle or Brenspeed. It is very easy to upload custom tunes and you have the ability to check any type of error codes that may arise with the tuner. Get comfortable driving the mustang awhile, before going F/I. Just a thought.

Last edited by kevinmalec; 12-31-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Best POWER Adder for the money?