Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! DSS driveshaft is too short.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 05:13 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007CalSpec

I actually have a set of car ramps but never used them. Something about driving up at the wrong angle and slipping off scares me.
I don't actually drive up on mine, i jack the car up and put them under the wheels. I couldn't get the front of my car up on ramps even with boards under the tires.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:24 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
I don't actually drive up on mine, i jack the car up and put them under the wheels. I couldn't get the front of my car up on ramps even with boards under the tires.
Good idea. I'm sure I won't be able to drive up on mine either because I'm lowered 1.5" in front and it's even worse with a CS fascia.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:40 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007CalSpec
I got a reply from DSS. They said...

"you should be able to lengthen the upper control arm to move the CV closer to the 3.5" mark
sitting on stands are fine. (by lengthening the upper it will roll the pinion up bringing it closer)"

I had mentioned that the axle tubes are on jack stands. This essentially puts load on the rear suspension. I'll probably have to get the front off the ground also; to simulate ride height.

I actually have a set of car ramps but never used them. Something about driving up at the wrong angle and slipping off scares me.
Good news then, just use the jackstands. I understand the driving up on ramps thing. I dont trust plastic ramps at all that is why I made some from wood. I am able to drive up or reverse onto them. I also made some block ones which I can put under the tires after jacking them up so the entire car is in the air. It just feels safer with wood under there.
Attached Thumbnails Help! DSS driveshaft is too short.-001.jpg  
Old 01-23-2013, 02:09 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Good news then, just use the jackstands. I understand the driving up on ramps thing. I dont trust plastic ramps at all that is why I made some from wood. I am able to drive up or reverse onto them. I also made some block ones which I can put under the tires after jacking them up so the entire car is in the air. It just feels safer with wood under there.
Those wooden ramps look nice. Wanna make me some and ship them over? j/k! I suck at woodworking.

Anyway, I used jack stands and got the car up in the air with the rear suspension loaded. The bad news is I can't get the CV measurement within spec. No matter how much I move the pinion up or down the measurement seems to stay the same. It's always a hair over 3-3/4". I do have LCA relocation brackets and that might have something to do with it. These are the relocation brackets I have (not my pic though).
http://forums.themustangsource.com/a...s-mvc-060s.jpg

Note the LCA mounting location on that bracket. That bolt sits slightly forward of the middle bolt above it (stock location). I'm thinking that would push the axle further back and that is why my measurement is too large. If I got rid of the relocation bracket and returned the LCA to its stock location then it would move the axle forward and close the gap on the CV. Either that or I would need to get adjustable LCA's. Hmmm...
Old 01-23-2013, 04:48 AM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

dont even need to be good at wood working, simply get some lumber cut to length, and nail them together, or glue if your paranoid about nails and tires :P
Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 AM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lem-06
dont even need to be good at wood working, simply get some lumber cut to length, and nail them together, or glue if your paranoid about nails and tires :P
NAILS! you sir are crazy. Haha im just kidding. But seriously with wood glue it pretty much bonds them to be one piece.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:32 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

So I told DSS about my problem and whether or not the relocation brackets could be the issue and if adjustable LCA's would fix the CV measurement and they said why don't they just make a DS to fit my car. Hmmm...My first thought was that would take too long. I'd have to send the current one back, put the stock DS back on and wait for the new one to be made. Too much hassle. This is my daily driver. I went ahead and ordered some adjustable LCA's and having them overnighted to me. I think this should fix the problem or at least I'm hoping.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:05 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Very interesting, never have heard of this issue. Relocation brackets hindering your PA adjustment. Nice that DSS offered to make a new DS but I was thinking, what about a new adapter. Could they make an adapter that was a quarter inch bigger? Its probably easier for them to make a DS than a new mold for an adapter.

What adjustable LCA's did you order?

FYI, I used nails and glue! LOL
Old 01-24-2013, 01:52 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Very interesting, never have heard of this issue. Relocation brackets hindering your PA adjustment. Nice that DSS offered to make a new DS but I was thinking, what about a new adapter. Could they make an adapter that was a quarter inch bigger? Its probably easier for them to make a DS than a new mold for an adapter.

What adjustable LCA's did you order?

FYI, I used nails and glue! LOL
Yeah I was surprised when DSS offered to make a custom driveshaft that will fit my setup free of charge. I guess it would be a quarter inch longer. They said it would take 10-12 days to make. I applaud their customer service. I told them I'll try the adjustabe LCA's first and let them know how it goes. A new adapter is a good idea but, like you said, it's probably easier to make a new DS. I wonder how many others out there have DSS driveshafts and relocation brackets and if they have the same issue I do. Maybe my situation is unique. Maybe it's unique to a certain brand of relocation brackets. I have J&M brackets. If this is a common issue with people who have relocation brackets then it would be wise for DSS to offer two different driveshaft lengths so this won't happen again.

Here's the LCA's I purchased. I'll be installing it tonight.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/grn-gm-ca0507-s
Old 01-24-2013, 02:15 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I've never heard of taking a measurement like that. The adapters are billet aluminum, so it wouldn't be hard to make it longer, but that might affect balance. The adapter with my Denny's driveshaft is pretty substantial. This drive shaft has a telescoping end at the rear.

Quick Reply: Help! DSS driveshaft is too short.