Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 03-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
ghunt
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT
Default What do do about destroyed dust seal on Hurst Billet/Plus

I have the car up off the ground working on installing headers, and I figured I'd pull the shifter while it was easy to get at because it's been rattling and I crossthreaded the front bolt when I originally installed it. I have a Hurst Billet/Plus.

When I pulled the shifter off the car I found the bottom dust boot to be pretty much destroyed. This damn thing has been on the car for less than 20K:
Click the image to open in full size.

It was held up under the bottom with a large snap ring (under the metal part to the left). Without this seal the entire bottom of the pivot ball is exposed to the underside of the car, so I'm not really sure what I can do. Does Hurst even sell these seals? I looked at tie rod dust boots and stuff, but I'm not sure if anything like that would even fit well enough to really stay in there and do much.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0114.jpg (31.1 KB, 23 views)
C&L Racer, 93R Tune, SR UDP's, JBA ceramic LT's & catted shorty H, Magnaflow resonators, Hooker Aerochambers, Hurst Billet/Plus, "P" springs Spohn reloc brackets/lowers, J&M AL panhard bar, DIY brace, smoked markers/tail lights
ghunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

I recommend complete replacement with an MGW. My second option would be to contact a Hurst distributor to see if they can point you in the right direction to get parts.

Whipple-12psi 10 Rib Pulley Kit-McLeod RXT & Steel Flywheel-UPR Rod End LCAs, UCA, Spherical Bearing, Panhard Bar, K-member + Front Swaybar Delete-Metco LCA Relo Brackets-BMR Xtreme Anti Roll-Spydershaft-Race Star Wheels-MGW-PMP Line Locks-Stanghi O/R X-Odyssey 10 lb Battery-Moroso Separator-Eibach Front/CJ Rear Drag Springs-Strange Adjustable Shocks and Struts-MSD 2 Step-etc. 11.29@123 1.59 60'
DRAG RACE? ASK ME ABOUT MY UPR SUSPENSION.
Diabolical! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

I have an MGW shifter and the dust boot was destroyed as well. I called and they sent one for free. I'm sure Hurst would do the same.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #4
ghunt
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT

Yeah I'm not spending $200+ on another shifter right now when there's nothing wrong with this one...

I'll see if I can get ahold of Hurst.
C&L Racer, 93R Tune, SR UDP's, JBA ceramic LT's & catted shorty H, Magnaflow resonators, Hooker Aerochambers, Hurst Billet/Plus, "P" springs Spohn reloc brackets/lowers, J&M AL panhard bar, DIY brace, smoked markers/tail lights
ghunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:00 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement