Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
Mach_1_II

Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang GT
Default 05 GT Fuel Gauge Problems

I have a 2005 GT that is having some baffling fuel gauge problems. About a week ago I noticed that the fuel gauge was pinned empty. I filled up the tank just to be sure, and it stayed pinned to empty. Then the next morning, the gauge read a correct full tank. A day or two later, I noticed that the fuel gauge was pinned full and when I turned the car off, the needle would rest on half tank. It did this for a day, and then today I noticed it was reading correctly again. On the days it was reading oddly, it was sunny and in the mid 70s, and I am beginning to wonder if the heat is affecting it.

This isn't the first fuel system problem this car has had. When I bought the car 2 years ago it had 23k miles on it and signs that it sat around a lot. The first time I went to see the car, it was running rough, and then after a little bit, it wouldn't start at all. The Buick/GMC dealer I bought it from replaced the fuel pump. It ran, but it still had fuel gauge issues. So then I took it to a Ford dealer and they replaced the pump a second time, and that fixed the problem. But now with the gauge acting up again, I wonder if I should take it to Ford and have them take a look at it and possibly have it replaced again.

If you have encountered this problem or have any advice, it is much appreciated.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Rebuilding my Dad's '78 Mustang II Mach 1
Current Progress: Stripped down to chassis.
Mach_1_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang

Sounds like the stepper motor in the gauge itself. It is a common issue in 2005 Mustangs and early 2006 I believe. I had to replace my whole gauge cluster but it can be repaired by the buying the stepper motors themselves and replacing them. My MPH, RPM, and fuel gauge went out before I replaced it. Sometimes they would act erratic or not at all.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
ski
4th Gear Member

My 05 GT also has the same fuel gauge problem, which happens only when the ambient temp gets cold(45F and below). But I work around it by resetting the trip odometer at every fill up and gassing up at about the 275 mile mark(car gets approx. 20 mpg for the type of driving I do). Also, the low fuel light still works, which is the failsafe signal in case I forget to check the miles.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski View Post
My 05 GT also has the same fuel gauge problem, which happens only when the ambient temp gets cold(45F and below). But I work around it by resetting the trip odometer at every fill up and gassing up at about the 275 mile mark(car gets approx. 20 mpg for the type of driving I do). Also, the low fuel light still works, which is the failsafe signal in case I forget to check the miles.
+1, my RPM and MPH were completely dead and wouldn't move regardless of temperature. However, the fuel gauge mainly acted up when it was cold out.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

+1 on the chronic stepper motor issue which plagues the 05's and early 06's.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
Art161
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Mustang GT

Yes, it could very well be the stepper motor. Personally, I'd take a shot at something easier before going the replacement route. Try a bottle of Techron additive. It could be that the sensor is fouled and the Techron will clean it up. It's cheap, easy, and won't hurt anything if a fouled sensor is not the problem.
Rear Spoiler Delete
Interior Sport Appearance Package
MGW EJECT Power Point Plug

The more you know, the less you don't know.
Art161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art161 View Post
Yes, it could very well be the stepper motor. Personally, I'd take a shot at something easier before going the replacement route. Try a bottle of Techron additive. It could be that the sensor is fouled and the Techron will clean it up. It's cheap, easy, and won't hurt anything if a fouled sensor is not the problem.
Meh, I'd still bank on the stepper motor. Pretty much every 2005 on here that complains of gauge problems in general is the stepper motor almost every time.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:00 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement