Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Prothane motor mounts, again.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 03:27 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default Installed Prothane motor mounts, again.

I won a pair of these in a raffle years ago and drove around with them for a couple of weeks. Ultimately I didn't like the added vibration and sold them.

I decided to give them another try, now that the rest of my drive line is poly. You can feel every little movement of the motor when you cold start it, but the really objectionable vibration for me was reving the motor or letting off the gas after reving. you can feel the revs coming down. I thought what I was feeling was an out of balance flywheel/clutch, but I'm pretty sure it's actually the cats that cause the vibration.

Reading taco bill's write up, he mentions his friends car with cats had much more vibration. I'm thinking it's time for an off road H or X pipe.

I didn't get a video of a cold start, the whole car twists on a cold start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdIB2...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by moosestang; 05-18-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:06 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Even without cats, the prothanes added more noticeable NVH than any other mod I've done.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:27 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i am very happy with the prothanes, never plan on going back to stock mounts. the off road H is gonna be loud.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:18 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

I installed the prothane mounts when I did the v8 swap, I developed an exhaust leak recently and finally decided to tackle that replacement. All I can say is I'm glad it happened the bottom bushing/aluminum bracket and allen screw backed themselves out and fell down into the crossmember. So I have no clue how long that has been like that however I'm glad I did before I strap the DOB blower on this.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:27 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Even without cats, the prothanes added more noticeable NVH than any other mod I've done.
Just wait till you get that solid axle housing bushing in!

I found an old post of mine about the prothane motor mounts.

Originally Posted by moosestang
I changed mine, but didn't like the added vibration. It was pretty smooth when cruising and WOT, but at part throttle and starting from a stop, I could feel the exhaust through my ***. It's really something you have to try, lots of people love them. If i had to replace the stock ones because of a failure, then I would probably go back to the prothane.

The whipple does not rub anything.
It's very strange, accelerating hard I don't notice much difference in vibration, but just revving the motor there is a noticeable vibration at low rpms that I can feel in the seat. I'm keeping them in this time, because this car is going to become my track toy. I'm looking at new 5.0's for my daily driver.

A/C delete will be next on my list, followed by some skinnies for the front. I literally never use my AC. It helps that I work in a refrigerated room and I'm skinny, so don't sweat much.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:39 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

I won a pair of these in a raffle years ago and drove around with them for a couple of weeks. Ultimately I didn't like the added vibration and sold them.

I decided to give them another try, now that the rest of my drive line is poly. You can feel every little movement of the motor when you cold start it, but the really objectionable vibration for me was reving the motor or letting off the gas after reving. you can feel the revs coming down. I thought what I was feeling was an out of balance flywheel/clutch, but I'm pretty sure it's actually the cats that cause the vibration.

Reading taco bill's write up, he mentions his friends car with cats had much more vibration. I'm thinking it's time for an off road H or X pipe.

I didn't get a video of a cold start, the whole car twists on a cold start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdIB2...ature=youtu.be
I have the poly mounts, does not bother me but I do feel more of whats going on. If your going to add H or X pipe and ditch the cats, I see your running a SC, I would think you are going to need a new tune too.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:47 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by slickman
I have the poly mounts, does not bother me but I do feel more of whats going on. If your going to add H or X pipe and ditch the cats, I see your running a SC, I would think you are going to need a new tune too.
If I do it, I'll get the pipe from brenspeed and have them email me a new tune.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:26 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

If I do it, I'll get the pipe from brenspeed and have them email me a new tune.
I have seen many people do this. Never gave it much thought, does the X or H pipe come with the needed OS2 sensor bongs welded on? I know the passenger side needs two. On my 08 one is in the cat and the down stream one is after the cat.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:45 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by slickman
I have seen many people do this. Never gave it much thought, does the X or H pipe come with the needed OS2 sensor bongs welded on? I know the passenger side needs two. On my 08 one is in the cat and the down stream one is after the cat.
I'm pretty sure they all have bungs. My rear o2's are turned off and I run a lc1 wideband in the drivers side rear o2 location, after the cat.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:13 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I need to get me a set of those, that motor isn't flexing at all!

Quick Reply: Installed Prothane motor mounts, again.