Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 12-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang
whosniffedme whosniffedme whosniffedme
Default New Wheels, New Tires (Beaten to Death but I Need Help)

Aight guys, as some of you might know I jacked my car up pretty good on a curb. Regardless of this I need to get new front tires because my strut mounts fell apart again (just ordered Steeda HDs), and my brand new rear driver got messed up from the collision so I'l just going to say the hell with it and get a whole new set and keep the one good rear one as a backup.

The drivers rims are trashed, so I'm thinking about swapping out my Lorenzo WL28s for some XXR 535s (opinions?)

Old
Click the image to open in full size.
New
Click the image to open in full size.

Anyways, I'm running a staggered set up right now (245/40/18 Front and 285/35/18 Rear), but I think I want to go 285 all the way around. My question is is it worth it?
My front rims are too narrow to fit those now, but before I go all out and order all this I wanted to hear some opinions on what I should stick with. This car is daily driven and I don't need to have it handling like a race car, but if I will get a significant amount of understeer reduced and have to ability to rotate my tires I think it would be worth it, even though I'll lose the staggered look.

Thoughts?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Current Vehicle:
07' GT/CS Roushcharged http://mustangforums.com/forum/garag...sniffedme.html
Past Vehicles:'03 Explorer Sport Trac XLT,
'69 Mustang soft top fully rebuilt 351C swap
whosniffedme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 07 GT500 07 GT vert

I like the Lorenzos better personally but only because the XXR's look a little plain. However your ride alreadyseem to have a fair amount of bling so maybe that will look good that way. Either way you can't go wrong.

wcgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Yeah the car came with the Lorenzos, wouldn't have been my first choice but I have no complaints with them. If I got the XXRs I would get some polished extended lugs to accentuate them a little better.

What about tire setup though, do you think making the jump to 285s all around would be worth it?

Current Vehicle:
Old 12-27-2013, 12:47 AM   #4
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 S197

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcgman View Post
I like the Lorenzos better personally but only because the XXR's look a little plain. However your ride alreadyseem to have a fair amount of bling so maybe that will look good that way. Either way you can't go wrong.
Haha, I like XXR for the opposite reason, to me the Lorenzos look busy.

Either one will look good however and compliment the white nicely.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:28 AM   #5
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosniffedme View Post
Yeah the car came with the Lorenzos, wouldn't have been my first choice but I have no complaints with them. If I got the XXRs I would get some polished extended lugs to accentuate them a little better. What about tire setup though, do you think making the jump to 285s all around would be worth it?
I'm pretty sure 285's up front will not fit without modifications/rubbing. If I'm correct, 255 or 265s are the best maximum fit in the front.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
Black Fire
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT

You can run a 285 tire on a 9.5 or 10" wide wheel. Putting big wheels on all 4 corners is all about nailing the offsets. An 18x10 with a +42 offset should fit all around.
Black Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:33 AM   #7
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Fire View Post
You can run a 285 tire on a 9.5 or 10" wide wheel. Putting big wheels on all 4 corners is all about nailing the offsets. An 18x10 with a +42 offset should fit all around.
Why such a high offset? I'm a big fan of the deep dish look so I was really looking at no offset or maybe even a little negative.

Also my friend has a Dan Gurney Saleen with 285s all around out the door, but if I remember correctly Saleen literally swaps EVERYTHING out so maybe he's got some extra clearance down there?

Current Vehicle:
Old 12-28-2013, 01:02 AM   #8
Vyacheslav Molotov

Vehicle: 07 S281E

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosniffedme View Post
Why such a high offset? I'm a big fan of the deep dish look so I was really looking at no offset or maybe even a little negative.

Also my friend has a Dan Gurney Saleen with 285s all around out the door, but if I remember correctly Saleen literally swaps EVERYTHING out so maybe he's got some extra clearance down there?
My S281 E has 275s on all corners with no issues of rubbing, even on the extreme I don't think Saleen modified the wheel well in terms of allowing for wider rubber.

If you increase the wheel width, without increasing the offset, you are going to end up with rims sticking out of the wheel wells. Something int he neighborhood of +42 on a 10 inch rim will keep them quite flush with the fender.
Vyacheslav Molotov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006, Ford, Mustang GT

I actually just looking at buying the S197 Saleen wheels that AM has.

I was just considering how sick I am of the wheel well gaps and that I'd love to mount some 18x10's with 285's all the way around. Looking at a 1.5 inch drop all the way around and I can only imagine that an offset would be needed.

Wouldn't some spacers fix this?

Will they fit says it would be 4.1 mm closer on the insider and 31.4mm further out on the outside.
2006 GT Coupe Windveil Blue - Dinah (RIP)
2006 GT 'Vert Redfire - Roxanne - Borla Touring Axlebacks - Brenspeed 93 Tune - Granatelli CAI - Shaftmasters 3.5'' DS
JFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

I tend to stay away from spacers, but regardless on a lower car if you had spacers they wouldn't clear the quarter panels, you'd have to roll the fender.

Current Vehicle:
Old 12-29-2013, 11:13 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement