Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuned car and now it won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 05:04 AM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

Default Tuned car and now it won't start

Hey everyone, so I got my new sf4 tuner from American Muscle yesterday. I went ahead and tried to install my tunes starting with the lowest tune first just so I could see the differences between them all. Well after I installed the lowest tune which is an 87 street tune my car would try to turn over but it never would. So I returned it back to stock and it started up fine. I did the same thing with my performance and race tunes and none of them work. Then I started looking at the tunes a little more and seeing what everything was set to and all my tunes are the same and they are all zerode out. For example the timing, degrees, etc are all 0. So I'm assuming that is my my car won't start. Could there maybe have been a mistake and the tunes didn't get loaded to my tuner at AM. Or am I maybe doing something wrong? I'm going to try to get into contact with AM today when I get off work. But I wanted to check on here and see if you guys knew what was maybe going on. Thanks guys
Old 06-26-2014, 05:38 AM
pck9

American Muscle will take care of any and all issues you are having. Shoot them an email and they will reply same day.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:11 AM
JimC

The "zero" is the base for that tune. It doesn't mean for example that you have 0 timing - if you were to add timing it would be on top of whatever the base tune is (so if the base tune has 14 degrees of timing for its' 0, then you add 14 degrees, you will have 28 degrees).
Old 06-26-2014, 06:20 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Its possible that they used the wrong strategy code. Its also possible that a vehicles strategy code was changed for some reason by the previous owner or the dealership. You should be able to use the handheld to view it.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:58 AM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Its possible that they used the wrong strategy code. Its also possible that a vehicles strategy code was changed for some reason by the previous owner or the dealership. You should be able to use the handheld to view it.
So I would use the handheld to make sure that the strategy codes are the same? Also forgive my ignorance, this is the first time I have ever used a tuner or done anything like this. Is the strategy code the 4 letter/number code that they ask you for when you answer all those questions after getting the tuner?
Old 06-26-2014, 07:48 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by iMuf
Hey everyone, so I got my new sf4 tuner from American Muscle yesterday. I went ahead and tried to install my tunes starting with the lowest tune first just so I could see the differences between them all. Well after I installed the lowest tune which is an 87 street tune my car would try to turn over but it never would. So I returned it back to stock and it started up fine. I did the same thing with my performance and race tunes and none of them work. Then I started looking at the tunes a little more and seeing what everything was set to and all my tunes are the same and they are all zerode out. For example the timing, degrees, etc are all 0. So I'm assuming that is my my car won't start. Could there maybe have been a mistake and the tunes didn't get loaded to my tuner at AM. Or am I maybe doing something wrong? I'm going to try to get into contact with AM today when I get off work. But I wanted to check on here and see if you guys knew what was maybe going on. Thanks guys
OP,

Sorry to hear about the trouble here! The ECM was probably updated by Ford at some point along the lines and the coding was changed. We're going to need what's called a strategy read from the vehicle while you're on the stock tune. We can then use this to build up a new tune and get it emailed out to you!

Here's some instructions on how you can get this over to us:
Strategy Code
1) Select Vehicle Information from the Main Menu
2) You will be prompted to turn the key on but don’t start the engine
3) The device will then display the VIN of the vehicle and below that will be your ECU Strategy Code

Once you have all of this shoot us a call and we'll get some new tunes out pronto!

If you have any questions in the meantime let me know or shoot Bama a call directly at 888.226.9764 and we're here to help.

-Alex
Old 06-26-2014, 08:02 AM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus
OP,

Sorry to hear about the trouble here! The ECM was probably updated by Ford at some point along the lines and the coding was changed. We're going to need what's called a strategy read from the vehicle while you're on the stock tune. We can then use this to build up a new tune and get it emailed out to you!

Here's some instructions on how you can get this over to us:
Strategy Code
1) Select Vehicle Information from the Main Menu
2) You will be prompted to turn the key on but don’t start the engine
3) The device will then display the VIN of the vehicle and below that will be your ECU Strategy Code

Once you have all of this shoot us a call and we'll get some new tunes out pronto!

If you have any questions in the meantime let me know or shoot Bama a call directly at 888.226.9764 and we're here to help.

-Alex
Thanks Alex, I do have an 06'. I saw a thread just now talking about how the VDX1 code was updated to SVR0. So I'm assuming that's what it is. As soon as I get someone here to watch the phones I will go out and make sure that's what it is. Thanks again.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:44 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by iMuf
Thanks Alex, I do have an 06'. I saw a thread just now talking about how the VDX1 code was updated to SVR0. So I'm assuming that's what it is. As soon as I get someone here to watch the phones I will go out and make sure that's what it is. Thanks again.
Anytime! Let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime or shoot me a PM, I'm always here to help out!

-Alex
Old 06-26-2014, 12:34 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
This^^^ It's also possible they made a mistake in the tune like swapping two numbers, that happened to me once, but not a tune from AM.

My 06 has never been updated. I never took it in for the passenger airbag update. I might now that I have a 70lb dog that sits over there sometimes.

Last edited by moosestang; 06-26-2014 at 12:39 PM.