Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking of getting racing stripes

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 09:33 AM
Zerefi

Default thinking of getting racing stripes

been looking at getting racing stripes for my 05 GT. its red and Im wanting to get black stripes, 10" wide, but can't decide on black or matte black, which do you guys like better?

I never had racing stripes on any of my mustangs before so Im kinda excited but scared at the same time lol.

Is it ok if I just get the stripes on the hood/roof and trunk? I know people like bumper to bumper better, but comparing pics I feel like hood/roof/trunk looks cleaner which is a theme I want to keep for my car, but I also don't want to be "that guy".

as far as maintenance is there anything special needed? how do stripes fair in the winter snow/salt? also if I get in an accident or something, is it as simple as just replacing the vinyl that is scratched/messed up to fix my stripes?
Old 02-06-2015, 11:57 AM
DGRacing

I have a matte black super snake stripe kit I never opened, if you want it for cheaper. Would look cool.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:11 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Zerefi
been looking at getting racing stripes for my 05 GT. its red and Im wanting to get black stripes, 10" wide, but can't decide on black or matte black, which do you guys like better?

I never had racing stripes on any of my mustangs before so Im kinda excited but scared at the same time lol.

Is it ok if I just get the stripes on the hood/roof and trunk? I know people like bumper to bumper better, but comparing pics I feel like hood/roof/trunk looks cleaner which is a theme I want to keep for my car, but I also don't want to be "that guy".

as far as maintenance is there anything special needed? how do stripes fair in the winter snow/salt? also if I get in an accident or something, is it as simple as just replacing the vinyl that is scratched/messed up to fix my stripes?
Hey Z,

Great question, I love the look of a clean stripe setup!

I run the Matte Black Super Snake Style Stripe Kit on my personal 2014 GT and love it! If I were you I would go with either that or the Matte Black GT500 Style Stripes. Either would look awesome!

Check them out on my car :

Name:  experts%20shoot_zpsuz0qtrfj.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  244.7 KB

In regards to maintenance, simply keep them clean without the use of any harsh cleaning products and you will have no problems!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

-Will
Old 02-06-2015, 01:34 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

+1 on getting a super snake stripe if you're not planning on doing the bumpers.

Not sure about how they fair in winter weather as our winters here in Cali aren't too terrible, but the sun here affected the nnes I had on my previous Stang. My job doesn't have shaded parking so that contributed to advanced wear on the stripes on my roof.

If any damage occurs, all you really need is a heat gun to remove the vinyls and maybe some goo gone to remove any leftover adhesive and you're ready to replace with some new vinyls.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:05 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Matte black looks awesome. I have a 10" kit running from bumper to bumper. Skipping the bumper looks meh.

Here's my kit...It's pricey but cut for the curves, washer nozzles, spoiler, and the rear bumper around the license plate. And you can buy pieces separately in case you have to get work done or something gets messed up.
http://www.moproauto.com/mustang-wil...rd-mustang-gt/
Old 02-08-2015, 02:42 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I like matte black. But I prefer stripes that go all the way down. Regardless, a nice set of stripes really sets your car apart from other mustangs.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:08 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I too prefer the stripes that go all the way, but my wife's vert has the ones that just do the hood and the trunk lid. Her stripes are gold and the car is blue. In talking to a guy who does car mods, generally if your car has a pearl or metal flake, you want to go with a subdued look to your stripes like a matte, but if it is just a pure red color, glossier stripes are what he recommended. My 06 was tungsten gray and so I did satin silver which was awesome and then my 07 GT500 is red with a glossier white stripe. The wife's blue has a bit of a metal flake to it, so her gold is more satin as well. I have bought and installed 4 sets of stripes on 3 mustangs. By far the best fitting were the OEM Ford ones that I replaced on the wife's vert. They fit absolutely perfect, no trimming required. The problem is they are triple the cost. I've removed stripes twice. The first time the stripes had been on for a while and started to weather. They were a pain to get off. I didn't trust a heat gun as they can get super hot, so I used a hair dryer on a hot day and that helps, but it took a lot of time and patience and lots of goo gone. The second time was the wife's vert. When we bought it used, it had a minor impact on the lip of the hood and it had torn the stripe. I removed the vinyl and then had a paintless dent guy fix the 2" ding in the hood. Those stripes came off very easily
, and you can also see what the ones that just do the hood and back deck look like. Rule of thumb to maintaining vinyl is keep the car clean and regularly waxed. Yeah, the vinyl will over time start to fade, crack, change color...it will just happen so accept it. The one thing that you don't think about is that when you go to pull off the stripes, there will be a ghost in your paint where the stripes used to be. The paint under the vinyl will look cleaner, shinier, newer...while the paint to the sides will look faded a bit and oxidized. So be ready mentally to deal with that if you ever remove them permanently. I would guess that could be fixed with some elbow grease, rubbing compound, etc... but that's a lot of work! But personally, I love the stripes and I say go for it. The hardest parts are finding the exact center line of your car and not overworking the stripes and potentially damaging them. Make sure you have center line established and triple/quadruple check from multiple angles. I've found blue painters tape to be the best. White masking tape sticks a little too much to the paint. But if you're nervous about installing them yourself you can always find an installer to do it.

Last edited by wcgman; 02-08-2015 at 08:11 PM.