Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Gt shutting off! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 04:54 PM
dcwest99

Default 2010 Gt shutting off! Please help!

Hi everyone I'm new to the forums so bare with me. I recently purchased a 2010 mustang gt from the Ford dealership. When I bought it I didn't know of the mods that were already on the besides the ones that were obvious that I could see and hear (Ford Racing intake manifold and Throttle body and full exhaust) but I'll get back to the others further down the post. After 3 days of having the car it started shutting down on me. The first time it happened I had just got in it to leave work and have it maybe 2 miles down the road before it did it. As just a reaction I flipped the key on and off popped the clutch and it came back on no problem. I was able to make it maybe a quarter mile before it did it again. I finally pulled over to the side of the road and came to a complete stop. I turned the key off and back on and it cranked up no problem but it would shut off after about 30 seconds. It's very odd because it doesn't act like it's going to stall and it doesn't sputter, it just shuts off like had flipped the key. The check engine light came on and gave me a p0172 & p0175 code saying the car was running rich. I ended up getting the car towed. After some research and digging I was able to find the guy that had the car before me and I learned that the car had 4.10 gears the Intake manifold that I mentioned before and the exhaust along with under drive pulleys. He also told me the car had been tuned for all of those including an Airaid race intake that wasn't on the car when I bought it but was when he traded it in. So that's where I started. I bought a new race intake to put on the car and sure enough that cleared the the codes and the car ran great!..... Right up until the engine got fully warmed up and it started shutting off again and threw more codes at me. I now have a p1101, p2196, p2198 and p0690. The car is currently at the Ford dealer but that aren't to sure either. Was kind of hoping someone has had a similar issue or heard of this problem before and could point me in the right direction. Any help would be welcome. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2016, 04:57 PM
dcwest99

Also wanted to add that I ordered a new programmer and tune for the car to see if there could be an issue with the tune on the car currently
Old 03-11-2016, 05:05 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

P0690 = ECM / PCM Power Relay Sense Circuit High
P1101 = Mass Air Flow Sensor out of Self-Test Range
P2196 = O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P2198 = O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

The problem could indeed be the tune but since all of those codes can be triggered by a malfunctioning MAF sensor, I suggest you take it out and clean it carefully. It might work, it might not, but it's worth a try.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:54 AM
Shaq74

On your tuner what is your Idle RPM set at? It may be too low. A
Old 03-11-2016, 01:04 PM
dcwest99

@Dino we took the Maf out and replaced it with a new one and nothing changed still spit out the same codes and thank you for taking the time to tell me what they were. I'm starting to think it's something related to the fuel system but I'm not sure.

@Shaq74 I wish I could tell you but someone stole the programmer out of my car so I have a new one on the way with a new tune for the car
Old 03-11-2016, 02:10 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Wouldn't hurt to disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour or so.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:37 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

with the first programmer stolen, you've lost the stock tune which might turn out to be a problem if you ever need to update your new one. IMHO, I would search your local CL for a stock intake and throttle body. the FRPP intake and TB aren't helping you at all being NA and may possibly be hurting your HP/TQ. just throwing ideas, did the PO have a turbo on the car? maybe wrong size injectors and cooler spark plugs causing problems with fuel burn? worst case is Ford having to reflash your car back to stock. when you get your new programmer, you can load the new tune that has been adjusted for all your mods. again just spitballing. good luck
Old 03-14-2016, 09:08 AM
dcwest99

Originally Posted by bl817
with the first programmer stolen, you've lost the stock tune which might turn out to be a problem if you ever need to update your new one. IMHO, I would search your local CL for a stock intake and throttle body. the FRPP intake and TB aren't helping you at all being NA and may possibly be hurting your HP/TQ. just throwing ideas, did the PO have a turbo on the car? maybe wrong size injectors and cooler spark plugs causing problems with fuel burn? worst case is Ford having to reflash your car back to stock. when you get your new programmer, you can load the new tune that has been adjusted for all your mods. again just spitballing. good luck
Ford reflashed the computer today and my tune will be here tomorrow. I know the o2 sensors have fowled out and are stuck rich so I'm hoping if I replace those and put the new tune in, that the pcm will start trimming the fuel back up and hopefully it will run fine but that's just me hoping for the best