Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Light Covers / Tint

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 08:58 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Default Light Covers / Tint

So, a couple days ago I purchased a full set of black out vinyl tint from Stangmods.com. Headlights, fog lights, tail lights, 3rd brake light, turn signals for front and back.

Well, everything fits 100% perfectly, except two pieces. The 3rd brake light is about 1 full inch short of the actual length of the light, which hey, mistakes happen. I'll contact Stangmods tomorrow to see about getting a new one.

The thing I'm actually really upset about is the taillights. The covers themselves are really nice, and I imagine have the potential to look great...however. They only cover about 80% of the light. I'll post a little paint edit to give you an idea, but I already removed the actual piece from my car, because I'm not willing to have that ugly thing on there.

The way they actually fit on the car looks something like this. I know it's not a centering issue, because there is literally light exposed all the way around. The vinyl itself makes no attempt to cover the exposed "sides" of the light, either. This is all contrary to how the picture looks on the Stangmod site, which I'll include below as well.

It would appear that there are light surrounds, coupled with the center black out piece, hiding the fact that the cover doesn't actually cover the light.

All that said - Does anyone know where I can get some rear tail light tint that either covers the entire light, or an actual cover that doesn't have the ugly "GTS" symbol on it?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:01 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaBlue
So, a couple days ago I purchased a full set of black out vinyl tint from Stangmods.com. Headlights, fog lights, tail lights, 3rd brake light, turn signals for front and back.

Well, everything fits 100% perfectly, except two pieces. The 3rd brake light is about 1 full inch short of the actual length of the light, which hey, mistakes happen. I'll contact Stangmods tomorrow to see about getting a new one.

The thing I'm actually really upset about is the taillights. The covers themselves are really nice, and I imagine have the potential to look great...however. They only cover about 80% of the light. I'll post a little paint edit to give you an idea, but I already removed the actual piece from my car, because I'm not willing to have that ugly thing on there.

The way they actually fit on the car looks something like this. I know it's not a centering issue, because there is literally light exposed all the way around. The vinyl itself makes no attempt to cover the exposed "sides" of the light, either. This is all contrary to how the picture looks on the Stangmod site, which I'll include below as well.

It would appear that there are light surrounds, coupled with the center black out piece, hiding the fact that the cover doesn't actually cover the light.

All that said - Does anyone know where I can get some rear tail light tint that either covers the entire light, or an actual cover that doesn't have the ugly "GTS" symbol on it?

GTS symbol is a sticker that scrapes off easily with your findernail. goo gone will shed the residue and they look perfect, i have the covers on my tails.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:04 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Shane, you're the man! Thanks so much, I'll place the order right now and provide pictures as soon as they're on !
Old 07-28-2010, 09:11 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Shane, you're the man! Thanks so much, I'll place the order right now and provide pictures as soon as they're on !
NP, better pics in this thread:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...d-lowered.html

i also have the GTS covers on my fogs, but if i had it to do over again I would do tints on them. the covers were a bit too large and scratched the plastic around the fogs. the only downside to the covers is that the 10 versions are attached with Velcro and at night you can see the velcro through the covers. The look fantastic though. DO NOT get the GTS covers for your heads. the headlight covers are very poorly designed and will not sit flush when the hood is closed. they scratched my paint within two days. My heads are stang mod tints as well as the rear running lights and 3rd brake light. The front running lights are actually tinted lenses i bought from stang mods before he had tints up for them.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:59 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Well, I ordered a set of taillight covers last night. I also contacted Stangmods.com today, really cool guys there. They're sending me out a new third brake light vinyl.

According to the guy there, I'm the second one reporting a shorter-than-necessary third brake light. The machine that prints them had a malfunction of sorts, as I had suspected.

I included my complaint about the taillight vinyls in my email, but haven't gotten a response just yet.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:59 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

I'd like to just report in on the email I just got from the guy I'm dealing with at Standmods.com, Matt. I think it truely shows the level of customer service over there. Regardless of the issues I've had, I would have absolutely no problem recommending them to anything looking for tinted lights.

Originally Posted by Matt@StangMods
Hi James, I would feel more comfortable sending you a brand new set of tail light tint also. The third brake light and tail light tint are cut at the same time when the section of vinyl is run through the plotter. I'm thinking that it cut both short. We've had several customers install the tail light and third brake light tint without any problems. The pictures on our site for the tail light tint are from an actual customer who installed the product. I will have a new set of tail light tint and third brake light tint shipped out today. Please let me know how the fitment is on this new set once you get it in. Thank you and I apologize for this inconvenience.

Matt
Old 07-31-2010, 02:42 AM
GRABOID
1st Gear Member

Well, I ordered a set of taillight covers last night. I also contacted Stangmods.com today, really cool guys there. They're sending me out a new third brake light vinyl.

According to the guy there, I'm the second one reporting a shorter-than-necessary third brake light. The machine that prints them had a malfunction of sorts, as I had suspected.

I included my complaint about the taillight vinyls in my email, but haven't gotten a response just yet.
I figure I was the first lol. I got the new set out and they fit a little better. had to stretch the taillights and work them on which wasnt that bad but just a better cut would make it easier. Mine fit out to the rolled edge so the cover more than your paint pic is. i still think the covers look better on the back because of the reverse lights being covered up also.

ETA> dont be afraid to stretch the material if needed. It stays together and once its on it does not shrink back down.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:17 AM
majik755
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like they may have sent you an 09 or earlier kit. The 2010 and 2011 third brake light is about and inch or so wider than earlier models.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:58 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

the 05-09 third brake light is a completely different shape